It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 New Surface Earthquake Faults In California

page: 1

join
share:
SMR

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

The California Geological Survey's first new fault map in 16 years features more than 50 new surface earthquake faults in the Golden State.

The new faults range from small ones that don't pose much threat for major temblors to very large ones, like the one responsible for the 7.1 Hector Mine earthquake that shook Southern California in 1999. Most of the faults have been known to researchers and contained in scientific files.

Source: 50 New Faults Featured in California Quake Map | NBC San Diego

The map is available on the Survey's website.

====================================
====================================

So. Cal has been going off the past few days and not sure if I should be worried or not. On one side I feel all these 'minor' shakes are just releasing the pressure that would otherwise build up and release a massive jolt.
On the other hand, I feel it is just the fault 'loosening' up to release a good sized jolt that could range anywhere from a 6.0 to a 7 or maybe larger.
So. Cal ( San Diego area ) has not had a large quake in some time. The Easter shake gave us a good rattle, but that originated in the Baja area far from here.

Seeing this map with NEW faults is a bit scary. The ones we have shift enough. With new ones revealing themselves, I am a bit worried that I should be arranging my furniture in a way that it does not break ... anytime soon ...

Mod edit: Updated thread title at member's request.

[edit on 4/29/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
yes it is scary
I just looked at the map
and it should cause a lot of
concern

thanks for postin the new map

s&f

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Why is there a large white box on the map? Can I take it off?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
OOH fun fun. Our buildings are structurally sound, we should be pretty safe. There is always earthquake activity. My fear would be if it was to slow down for a significant period of time. Just think about all the pressure that would build up up then.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

The white box is more than likely there so you can see the fault lines more clearly. I can't remove it but I will try to find a map without it.. will post if I do.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Thanks I got it working already.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Good stuff, I was just about to post that there was a transparency tool..

I. Must. Sleep.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I also am concerned with these quakes down here in so cal. The Easter quake happened when my friend and I were doing laundry at the campus apartments at school and for a moment my phone stopped working to call home to say I'm safe. Originally, I'm from the central valley and we don't too often feel earthquakes up there.

SMR

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
On one side, having no activity is worrisome. On the other hand, having so many as have been seen on USGS for So. Cal makes you think it is just sliding and sliding giving little jots and sooner or later it could hit the right spot and release resulting in a massive shaker.
So either way, living in this type of area it is always worrisome. It could go one way or another at any time but IMO the recent activity has been more active than I have seen in years and I am on alert more so than I have ever been.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SMR

Seriously, I agree. I like to be prepared for different disasters since up north, we have flooding and fire issues. So since I'm at school down in so cal, over 300+ miles away from my city, with no car. All I have is just the skills to be ready in case things go down. None of my friends neither prep for disasters nor try to learn how to except for my best guy friend at the UC, since I have been teaching him how to prep for disasters because he knows I'm big on disaster preparedness. So if we needed to get away quick, he at least has a car and lives in so cal, but he lives close to where that Baja CA earthquake was, like 30 mins from the border. So there might not be a possiblity to go south, but to go north, there is a chance at least, if not, both of us have been working on grab and go bags, for just incase.

SMR

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm sorta surprised there is little discussion about this news.
Could it be that the thinking is that these new faults are too small to matter much?

With all the activity near these new ones as of late has me thinking they could become larger resulting in something unexpected.

Thoughts?

top topics

join