It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 Australian Federal Election

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Voting has merits. if you don't exercise your right to vote, you don't really have the right to whinge about what the elected party do.

The elected party, once elected, will do as they please, and what you want certainly won't be taken into consideration.

These puppets can do whatever they please, if they cross my lines I have in the sand, I will simply disappear, and they will never find me where I will be going. I've been planning this for many years.

The way I see it, by voting, you are choosing to be governed, and that is really where you don't have a right to whinge about what they do to you.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

You can do both, being governed is a state of mind - not a result of exercising a right (albeit a small force for enacting change). There is no need to be so binary about it (because this is exactly how we are programmed to be).

But again, I urge those who are eligible to vote - to do so consciously. Investigate the parties (26 of them I believe) vote for who you want, and choose your own preferences.

WIKI: Lis of Political Parties in Australia
scroll down to the list of fedral parties AEC

I know who I am voting for, The Greens, and I urge anyone who wants change to do the same thing, and research their policies and their personalities.

They are currently the only party with all their policies in the public domain (check their website).

And heres why I am voting for them...

The Greens are more liberal than the Liberals
and more labour than Labor

Simple as that - they aren't corrupt and Bob Brown and others are people of the highest standard.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well, its official now. August 21.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Yes - only five weeks from now.
This is going to be a very interesting 5 weeks.
Let the spin begin.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Spin will be a plenty - Julia Gillard and Tony Abbotts speeches this morning sucked and were full of spin. But I watched it none-the-less. Bob Brown got a half-decent 15-20 minute interview on the ABC before they cut to Tony Abbotts speech at 1:00, which was good to see.

I've become a political news junkie lately

ABC Breakfast
AM Agenda
Lunchtime Agenda
PM Agenda
SBS Worldnews
ABC News
7:30 Report
QandA
Lateline
Insiders
Meet the Press
Laury Oaks
The Contrarians
The Nation
RadioNational
ABC News Radio
The Australian

Yes we Canberra The Chaser boys are back on, starting 4 weeks out from the election with a new show before Lateline. Sounds cool.

Make sure to watch Insiders tomorrow atleast.

8:00am - Meet the Press (10)
8:30ish - Laury Oaks (7 or 9)
9:00am - Insiders (ABC)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I'm not sure who to vote for, I can't stand the mad monk nor nor do I trust him at all, especially what he did under howard, but after what Gllard did I not sure I trust her either, and none of the party's really seem to look ahead to the not so distant future when the mine's start to fail and the big mining company's bail for easier pickings overseas.
Just today there is a report about the iron ore only having around 50 years left in Aus, thats a blink of the eye really.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

The Greens are all about your direct concerns. Trust me *goes googling* -or- should I say trust them.

MINING OUR WAY TO A RENEWABLE ENERGY FUTURE
10th July 2010 1:56 pm

Like most of us in the South West I’ve watched in frustration as our State and Federal governments pursue a range of controversial mining projects across the region; from the oil and gas exploration off our coast to coal mining in our backyard and bauxite mining in our state forests. Successive State and Federal governments have shown that mining is their number one focus and all other interests are secondary to this. While mining can make a valuable contribution to our regional economy, it shouldn’t come at the expense of other businesses or more importantly our environment and quality of life.

Our oil and gas reserves won’t last forever. There is acceptance in the oil and gas sector that reserves are being depleted; it is what drives companies take the huge economic and environmental risk to extract oil deep on the ocean floor. Instead of acknowledging this inescapable fact and investing in transition away from fossil fuels, Australia is doing the exact opposite – trying to shore up our dependence for just that little bit longer, and in doing so taking us down a dead end road. In light of the Gulf of Mexico tragedy, President Obama is making it clear – the age of fossil fuels is over, the United States will transition to a renewable energy economy. By contrast; in Australia, our government announced 31 new off-shore exploration leases with a goal to extending our dependence on fossil fuels.

Blaming mining companies for exploiting the current rules of the game will get us nowhere – we need these companies to help us create a future based on renewable energy technologies built on lithium, nickel, silicon and a range of other vital minerals. Instead, we need to change the rules of the game to give the mining sector clear direction – we don’t want mining in our sensitive environmental areas or priority agricultural lands; we don’t want to expand mining of fossil fuels. At the same time we need to steer our nation toward a more diverse economy by directing investment into new industries that will power the renewable energy age.

The Greens are the only party championing the move to a renewable energy economy and resisting moves to further entrench our fossil fuel industries. If you believe in this vision there is a Federal election imminent – you know what to do.

Luke Petersen

Greens Candidate for Forrest

I did the underlining and bolding

So yeah, vote Greens.

They are predicted to hold the balance of power in the upper house this election more so than they already do.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I've become a political news junkie lately

I would go that far in my case - actually I couldn't think of anything worse.
But in saying that, I'll be keeping a closer eye on it than usual.

Sure is interesting times.

Sorry ghostsoldier - I didn't quite get that - who are you going to be voting for again?

Just joking!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

I'm trolling for change!!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I like old Bob, but no-one seems to listen to the man which is a death knell for a polly,
frankly I think we should chuck the lot and start again.
I think I'll either vote green or for the sex party, perhaps we should convince them to join, sort of a congressional congress!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Democracy is outdated and flawed,If one party gets 51% and the other party gets 49%half the country gets something they don't want.I would rather see someone's name picked out of a hat or flip the coin,ok this may sound ridiculous but it is the only fair system ,no one can win by how many voters they have brought off with false promises,no wasted money on campaigns,no influence from anyone or anything and if you become the leader and fail you lose all benefits and pay.I know its not going to happen but i will not vote for someone i don't like and i'm yet to like anyone who has been running.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

Yeah the Sex party has got some good agendas ie they are against Internet Censorship (as are the Greens), but to my knowledge the Greens don't have a policy yet on creating an R18 rating for games (which I would like to see).

Just brought this forward again too, because I think its important for australians to understand - and why we need to become a republic.

The following table demonstrates how the existing Australian Constitution compares with the provisions contained in other modern democracies. Now we might have some of this stuff, but its not protected by our constitution.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/729046b6f9b4.jpg[/atsimg]

www.rethinkaustralia.org

[edit on 17/7/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Explanation: VITAL Questions to ask your LOCAL Federal Candidates.

NOTE: PLease remember that you are voting for your local Federal member and NOT for the head of xyz party UNLESS those Party Leader candidates are running for election in your LOCAL Fedreal Electorate!!!

People [Politicians and Public Servants i.e The Poohbahs] come and go and it's the POLICIES we have to LIVE with in the LONG RUN OK!

1] If elected as this electorates sitting member,...

... what will the nature of your Overseas Educational Tour as funded by the Australian Taxpayers be?

... what do you hope to learn on that Overseas Educational Tour?

... how will that benefit the constituents of this electorate?

2] What are your top 3 CORE ethical principles that you live and die by?

3] What primary concrete outcome do you hope to professionally achieve for this electorates constituency in your term in PARLIMENT?
[note parliment is different to government OK!]

4] What are your 3 Main Core Policy Promises that you Personally advocate should be implimented and how will they benefit this community?

5] Who has more authority over the direction and attitude of YOUR political views and actions... your electorates constituents OR your Political Party?

Personal Disclosure: Don't forget if all else fails then...

Next Elections lets Vote 1 China OK! (by OmegaLogos) [ATS]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well.. it's amazing the difference a few days can make.. I am back to my original confused state due to a radio interview with Senator Bob Brown yesterday.

Honestly.. if our only choices to run this magnificent country are Julia Gillard, Tony Abbott and Bob Brown then we are in a HELL of a lot of trouble!!

Yesterday was the first time I heard Bob Brown speak about the upcoming election and quite frankly, I cannot believe he is the leader of anything let alone an entire political party! He stumbled and bumbled his way through the questions that were asked of him, rarely actually giving a direct answer, instead he wandered around the outside of the question then finally answering an entirely different question altogether!

Seriously folks.. this guy sounded like he had no clue... I know the interviewer (Michael Smith from 4BC) is a staunch Liberal man however I do believe in this interview he really did give Senator Brown all the opportunity in the world to answer the questions.. unfortunately the Senator just couldn't quite do it.

Check it out for yourselves if you didn't get to hear it seeing as it was (as far as I'm aware) broadcast in Brisbane only.

4BC Radio - Michael Smith interview with Greens Leader Senator Bob Brown

Sorry ghostsoldier but seriously.. this guy?? No way!

[edit on 20/7/10 by damn_ummmm]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

This guy is a douche and is deliberately obfuscating what has happened.

1. The guy asked if BB was committed to relaxing on climate change, and then cut him off.
a. They want to work with a decent policy, one with a carbon price, and one that doesn't give billions to the polluters.

2. About the preference arrangement
a. Greens have done a preference deal with Labor - FREE of policy agreements/deals, therefor BB, JG, TA (who dont negotiate the preferences (the party secretaries do) dont have any role in preference negotiations)

3. The guy asked him what Labors climate policy is
a. Labor hasn't announce climate policy, so how can the Greens know what it is?

4. Bob Brown shut him down - "Your level of "political probity" is less than mine".
a. This 4BC is a redneck shock jock disinformation agent

5. BB knows about the preference deal with Labor, but since there is no Labor climate change policy YET, then how can the Greens do a deal with them on one.

6. BB is asked whose in charge.
a. Whose in charge of what?! - BB is head of the Greens, but just as JG and TA are not in charge of PREFERENCE DEALS, neither is he. He DOESN'T WANT PREFERENCE DEALS - But Lab and Lib do, and they voted against his legislation in the senate to get rid of them. So you are required by law to do preference deals - which is stupid, and why the Greens want to get rid of them.

4BC douche - "but you're not strongly opposed to them"
BB - "what do you think?" (RE: 6a)
4BC douche - "but you did these grubby deals"
BB - "mate - do you support me in getting rid of these deals" (RE: 6a)
4BC douche - "I'm not running for government" *speaks over BB saying "your joking"*
4BC douche - "you're the 3rd force party leader, you're the senator and you don't have the authority to stop these grubby deals being done?" (RE: 6a)
BB - "The preference layout is required by federal law" (RE: 6a)
4BC douche - "you didn't have to do these grubby back room deals"
BB - "ask JG and TA because they do it also"
4BC douche - "but we've got you on"
BB - "and I'm asking you to ask them, why they didn't support me in getting rid of preference deals"
4BC douche - "how can you be against preference deals, when you've just done the mother of all preference deals"
BB - "well that's your description of it" (RE: 6a)

8. 4BC douche asks if you do below the line voting on the senate, like its a bad thing.
a. BB recommends doing it, to cancel out the parties choosing your preferences (AS REQUIRED BY LAW) (RE: 6a)

9. 4BC douche asks what Labor party climate policy is (WHICH HASN'T BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!!) But BB said it didn't include a carbon price (the greens does). Then the douche shows the irrelevance of his question by stating that Labors hasn't been announced, and then cuts BB off from talking about what JG has verbalised.

10. More about preferences
a. RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!RE 6a!!

11. FINALLY ABOUT POLICY
a. RE 9a

12. Is it still the Greens policy to get US military bases of our soil?
a. BB believes that doing so would be a better arrangement for a sovereign nation.

13. About ANZUS treaty.
a. BB supportive of it, but wants a parliamentary debate on Aus involvement in afghanistan - And the Greens are the only one suggesting that - even though US, UK and Afghanistan are discussing troop withdrawal in 2014.

14. Demanding a carbon price
a. BB - "you don't demand anything, you negotiate with whats on the table to arrange better outcomes, but we do support a carbon price"

PRETTY MUCH THE END - That was just like all other media, crap interview and unintelligent questions.

2 questions on green policy - PATHETIC!!!!

AS FOR WHAT BB HAS SAID, WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?

[edit on 20/7/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
greens.org.au...

www.alp.org.au...

www.liberal.org.au...

Have a close look, and tell me which one has the most, the most detailed and the most visionary policies.

Greens win on every front.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join