It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prosperity of Future Generations Vs. The Ego

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This is geared more towards how we view the importance of our lives vs. the importance of those next.

"We don't individually live forever, but as a whole, we have carried each other in our memories since we developed one". We are all selfish to some extent. I could not possibly live a life a service without serving myself in some selfish way. Its just not practical.
(Unless you serve in secret and never contact those again)

People speak of altruism when we ask for nothing in return - but most of the time that's not exactly the case - we are always getting something in return, whether that be gratitude, money, favors, trust, love in all forms - we may not ask for it, but you would be ignorant to not think that these are possible results.

To sacrifice for the future holds something else. - You are not even alive to experience the results, you can't even be certain the results will be positive!

In some aspects, receiving appreciation can have a mixed effects on the ego. If you have ever done a favor for anyone, then you were curious to know if they appreciated it - Its just natural.

To some, this can negatively affect their ego. It is the difference between conditional and unconditional love. The favor is esteem to yourself first, and it can only be confirmed through the gratification of the one you did the favor for. But to put forth your effort into the far future is a gamble that should always be honored.To me, this is one of the most selfless things anyone can do, because those who are born to finally witness your efforts, know that it was for a fact - unconditional. There is no reward when your are dead.

The moral is - investing your service for the generations after you, eliminates the conditions of pride that falsely enrich our-lives.

edit. Spelling

[edit on 28-4-2010 by juveous]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Word up.

Native Americans are said to have made all important decisions on the basis on how it will affect the lives of their children 7 generations into the future.

I think this song is a good reflection of peoples attitudes. Take a few minutes to listen.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

very true. People actually sadly use it as an excuse. - "what's the point? I won't be alive for it anyway"? - Oh, that's what this is about - YOU, i'm so sorry, humanity forgot how important you are! little do they realize they a part of humanity.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

I really don't know what else to say except its sad. If I dwell on it, it really does make me physically sad.

Do you read Adbusters?
Link in the sig.

top topics

join