It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress understands your angst and suffering, and is willing to show it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

(Gasp!) Oh, them poor, poor people how will they ever survive on a mier 170k? Ooops, my sarcasm switch was on high. . Let's try this agin.
They're giving up their hard earned rasies for us??? Golly that's mighty big of them, this might just change my mind on voting them out
Darn, sarcasim's still on high, gotta get that switch fixed. Okey, I think I've got it fixed. One more time.
Wow, giving up their raises? Man, they're just like me now. . . . well except for their pay, benefits, ect.
Sorry, guess I just can't fall for this so very lame attempt at getting us (We The People) to think they care one bit for us. And judging by the posts here no one else is buying it either.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Chance321]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is hilarious. You can't write better comedy than this.
Of course, the salaries and perks these butt-heads receive are nothing
compared to the insanity that is Wall Street.

The Wells Fargo's board approved a 500 percent salary increase for it's CEO, in 2009, from $900,000 to $5,600,000. The increase of $4.7 million was paid in stock, just over 180,000 shares at August's rock-bottom prices. Thanks largely to the government bailout, the stock price rebounded and two months later this grant of stock was worth over $5.7 million.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What about raises for their staffers? Each Representative has some where around $400,000 per year to budget to staff salaries! I wonder if that is changing at all? And, I think the staff salary for Senators is higher still.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

$400K for staffers? maybe I should ask for $30K/yr if I get to do this writing job in the fall that I might get to do. It is an off chance and would only be for a newsletter and the website. Maybe $35K, unless I can write for more than one.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm with you on this. Double their pay if they do their damn jobs. I'd be all for Executive Salaries for our leaders if they would just do their jobs. Heck give them a couple of million a year each if it would fix things. It would save us a fortune. Maybe some good people would run for office if it was worth it. All our countries best could not afford the cut in pay to run for office.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuffaloJoe
The funny thing is this is obviously going to backfire on them as is evident from the posts in this thread. The average Joe is not going to be happy that the people they are already angry at are earning $174000 in the process. Let's also realize that more often than not, they likely don't need that salary to make their next mortgage, car, or utility payment.

I think that is very wrong minded. The US is a business and was set up to be so. We need the best at the helm. The best is expensive but always pays for itself.

We have never paid our leaders enough to entice those who should be in charge into running. Look at what our President makes compared to the CEO's of most companies. It's a damn embarrassment. We get what we pay for.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Look at what our President makes compared to the CEO's of most companies. It's a damn embarrassment. We get what we pay for.

Got to disagree there. In addition to Obama's current $400,000 per year as President. He also will receive $191,300 per year as a pension for the rest of his life if he is not re-elected in 2012. That does not count the paid Secret Service agent, staff, official travel expenses, mail, etc. and that figure can also increase as it is equal to what a current cabinet member is paid. There is also no restriction on what he makes from other sources of income while "retired" from being president.

Not too many CEO's get that kinda of a parachute for four years work. And this is a guaranteed deal unless he is impeached by the House and the Senate concurs. So in the case of Bill Clinton, he made $2 million as president ($250,000 per year) and currently has a annual pension of $191,300.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

He runs the largest most powerful company on the planet and gets paid crap for it. That means that people like Obama who are power mad are drawn to politics rather than business. They are not producers, they are spoilers. If we want producers in the Oval Office and we should, we have to make it sensible for them to run for office.

If your running a Fortune 500 and receiving tens of millions a year in salaries plus stock options, why would anyone take a huge cut in pay to run the country? Why would they tolerate having their families attacked, all their privacy taken away and the cut in pay? They won't.

Look at Obama. No leadership experience, no business experience and he surrounds himself with academicians no company would ever have any interest in other than the banks they destroyed already.

Both Parties go out of their way to demonize the people who should be running things for us for a reason.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

We have had a few run, Steve Forbes and Ross Perot, are the first two that come to mind in the recent past. Neither made much of a showing of support despite spending a considerable amount of personal fortune.

And frankly, I somewhat fear the damage that could be done by having a corporate raider running the show. Given the standard fix for reducing overhead in a business is to layoff the hourly workers, it makes Palin's Death Panels a far more realistic possibility as a fix to healthcare and Social Security.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

We need the best at the helm. The best is expensive but always pays for itself.

Are you serious? What we have is the best? And it pays for itself?

I am not sure you are talking about the US here. I can not agree that
these clowns are the best there is and they deserve to be paid the
money they are for screwing up this country like never before. The
only way to fix any of this is to completely clean out Washington and
start over. Start with people who want a job and not a career with
tons of money to snub their noses at us. $174,000 for these morons is
an insult to the taxpayers of this country.

<< 1   >>

join