It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress understands your angst and suffering, and is willing to show it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
source

The House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday would block lawmakers from getting their scheduled $1,600 raise for next year, a symbolic measure designed to show Congress understands the angst of voters suffering from the recession.

The measure, a similar to one passed unanimously in the Senate last week, would keep members' salaries at $174,000, rather than funding a raise that is based on a formula that reflects adjustments in salaries for workers outside of the government. Under the pay system, congressional pay automatically increases each year unless the body votes to block an increase.

Gee doesn't just make you want to say that they really are just like one of us. Not getting a raise this year. They may just have to settle for a Lexus instead of buying a new Mercedes next year. Or only take a nine day cruise to the Caribbean for a vacation as opposed to a 14 day trip. Say it isn't so. You suffer and sacrifice so much for the love of your countrymen. It just makes me so, so

Okay, so what if it is a symbolic gesture? I'd authorize and recommend a $16,000 raise if they got off their butts and actually started doing what they are paid to do for a change. The US Constitution spells out the job. Do it. Hell, I'll go one better and say a $160,000 bonus to each and every one of them if by year's end they have this nation (both Federal and State) 100% compliant with the US Constitution. Did I say $160,000? Make it $1.6 million. Fact of the matter is there exists reality and no one working in Washington DC as an elected official has the remotest sense of what reality is.

Want to make a bold statement Congress? Resign within the next 24 hours for failure to perform your job. It will save far more than $856,000 and maybe the people will realize how much better the country has become making the "recession" finally over.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It's public service. Should be an honor to serve. They should earn a symbolic dollar a year which should them be symbolically placed into the treasury.

$174K. How on earth do they survive? Must be hell.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It's public service. Should be an honor to serve. They should earn a symbolic dollar a year which should them be symbolically placed into the treasury.

That is not counting all the write-offs, donations, and perks they get. Sheesh! I would be happy if they would pay their taxes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, lets see here, we are willing to forgoing a payraise cause they feel for the american public? Can you say pandering to a public that is so upset that they are seeing red? Can you say, we want your vote and are going to do things now to get the job done that we should have been doing all along?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
lol so they've eaten their full and finally can't eat anymore so they're making it look like a good deed by giving us the crumbs? they are questioning our intelligence.

someone is bound to come in here and say," well if you think you can do a better job, let me see you do it." shaaaaaaaa-dap, if i did that, i'd like to see them do my job and make under 60k a year. they'd probably hang themselves because they can't afford mistresses and caviar.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Is that just the paycheck, Does it also account for the other benefits they receive? Man such greedy lil' bastaz.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
oh and they think by giving up a lil cash
is gonna save their butts???
Oh No, it dont work like that.
U have failed at ur jobs and
u have failed the American people.
It's time to re-write your resume.
Now you can work that $7.00 an
hr job at McDonald's when the
illegals get busted back to their
home country. Then you can say

"you want fries with that ???"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wow, what generous folks they are. If you do the math and divide
52 weeks into $174,000. it comes out to about $3346 a week. hmmmm
Giving up the $1,600 raise is like giving up about a half a weeks wages.
How can they possibly survive with that? Will they have to eat hamburger
for the other three days of the week? OMG !!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The fancy bullet proof jackets and vests that look like normal clothing run about $1000-$1600 don't they? Maybe it is a double symbolic gesture, as in raising their arm and flipping us the bird, since they certainly do not fear the people.

But yeah, $1600 compared to what is earned by salary, received in donations, bribes and kickbacks... They could do the job for free and still be self-made millionaires in a short time frame.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I propose a generous 150k pay cut. That will surely get the message through to them. I work for 20k a year as an unskilled laborer. I have yet to see what skill they possess that warrants the kind of money they make. They get 1600 a year raise every year because that reflects the raises outside of public service. For who do they speak of? I am going two years without a raise. I tough it out, they should have to as well. Let we the people decide when they get a raise. I bet sh*t in this country would get fixed then.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

They should not be getting paid. They should have a regular ordinary job. You are right, this is Public Service! It was originally intended as Service. See how the Forefathers did it. Now, its a scheme to sit on your butt and get rich at the expense of the country. Why is it that they are the ones who decide how much they get paid. Since WHEN do the employees EVER get to say when they get a raise and how much?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Lets see???? State of Florida workers have not had a raise in 4 years. A lot of us took a 3% cut last year. We have lost many positions, and had layoffs. This year they are looking at an additional 2% cut, and asking us to begin paying more into our Healthcare and Pension plans.

Nope, I don't think voting to not get a raise is symbolic of anything except arrogance and disconnection! If they cut their pay about 10% and join the ranks of the population getting the new Healthcare Bill, and if they begin paying into a regular 401K plan, Social Security, and Medicare, then I will feel very, very comfortable with them as representatives of their constituents. Until then:

SACK THE INCUMBENT--SACK THE INCUMBENT--SACK THE INCUMBENT

FIRE CONGRESS REGARDLESS OF PARTY AFFILIATION!!

DO NOT VOTE FOR ANY "POLITICIAN"!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Ron Paul got the bill passed.

He also wants to pass a bill that cuts congress's pay at the rate of inflation

Now that would be cool

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I always wondered if it would be possible/feasible to link our governments pay to our national GDP/Average household income. The higher the average, the larger their paycheck becomes and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The funny thing is this is obviously going to backfire on them as is evident from the posts in this thread. The average Joe is not going to be happy that the people they are already angry at are earning $174000 in the process. Let's also realize that more often than not, they likely don't need that salary to make their next mortgage, car, or utility payment.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuffaloJoe
The funny thing is this is obviously going to backfire on them as is evident from the posts in this thread. The average Joe is not going to be happy that the people they are already angry at are earning $174000 in the process. Let's also realize that more often than not, they likely don't need that salary to make their next mortgage, car, or utility payment.

I think that was Paul's intention.

Congress is a bunch of looters and Paul is trying to call them on it.

Paul actually returns the unused portion of his budget to the treasury every year. - something unheard of in government.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

they got off their butts and actually started doing what they are paid to do for a change

They are doing exactly what they are paid to do, make things worse.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Well with all the money they are getting from private interest lobbyist they make much more than that, their campaign coffers reap millions of dollars a year.

Plus the amenities, dinners and gifts.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

As for the stealth pay raises.

I would like someone to tell me whether or not these are Constitutional.

Let us take a lookey at the Constitution SHALL WE!

27th AMENDMENT-No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

I think we should arrest each and everyone of these pieces of dog doo doo for violating their oaths of office.

Please frelling exlain to me how they could have passed legislation that allows this automatic pay raise BULL#!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wow they are willing to give up some of their ungodly paychecks. Still wouldn't trust them with money or anything else for that matter. I can see why other countries hate us. Look at our nearly useless greedy politicians.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join