It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie, NZ out of place on the map? Move it to Hoax!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map

This is the title of the thread in question.

55 pages as of this posting. And not one shred of evidence to support the claim. The very notion of "time line shifting" defies the scientific method and any basis for the weighing and balancing of empirical evidence. It's unprovable, but by its very nature, it cannot be debunked. Does this mean we should tolerate it?

There are an infinite number of similar claims that could be made, each of which would have no more or less evidence to support it, and each of which, I am sure, I could find supporters for. For example, I could claim that "Canada used to be bigger", or that "Greenland and Iceland used to be further south" or that "Sri Lanka used to be on the other side of India" and, no doubt, I could find people to support my erroneous claims.

In fact, in a community of several tens of thousands of people, I could no doubt find "98" or even more people willing to swear by almighty God that Canada used to be bigger than it is now.

And here's the problem: Having looked at the latest thread on this matter, (An A through E choice of Aus and NZ alignments; btw, C is the correct one) It was not readily apparent to me which was the correct choice. At first, E seemed correct to me. I "didn't remember" Australia being so close to PPNG. But so what? I consider myself well versed in geography, but I can't expect myself to know the relative distances of EVERY land mass on the planet. After a while I realized that C had to be correct, as E proposed simply too much space between Oceania and south-east asia. The difference between me and INSANE people, is that I'm willing to admit my mistakes, whereas insane people continue to repeat their false memories over and over again as though they were fact. Talk about imposing your world view on other people, holy poop!

Anyways, I've had enough.

This is ATS, for Christ sakes. Have you seen what it takes to get a UFO video accepted by the membership here? EVERYTHING gets branded as a hoax, unless it's absolutely fantastic. The level of skepticism is extraordinary, and this is EXACTLY how it should be. I love the UFO board for precisely that reason.

And then you come to the paranormal board and get 55 pages of people who can't just look at a map and go "woops, guess I was wrong", no, instead they have the to come up with a theory that the ENTIRE WORLD has "changed" around them, just because one of their vague recollections doesn't conform with reality. What the heck? Unacceptable. The entire notion of time line shifts and all the barely remembered nonsense that goes with it is a blight on this community. It should not be tolerated, and it gives this website a bad name.

I hereby propose that the "Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map" be moved to the [HOAX] board, and that any similar threads be treated likewise. I haven't been around that long, but this phenomenon disappoints me enough to almost want to stop coming here. I mean, we make fun of www.whatdoesitmean.com and Sorcha Faal, Stephen Greer, and Rense.com for being full of random made up crap, but at the same time, look what we present to the public! People who can't be bothered to just look at a map are not only accepted and tolerated, but they're actively GIVEN publicity and encouragement by the membership!

Every day I see amazing, well though-out, well-argued and well-researched posts dissapear to the back pages while absolute nonsense like this "time line shift" garbage continues to resurface on the top page.

Is this what we're all about?

I say it's time to make a stand. No more nonsense! No more unprovable claims! There's a place for that stuff, and it's the "Gray Area", and as for stuff like the "Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map" I believe it deserves to go straight to the [HOAX] board.

Can someone please tell me why this hasn't happened yet????

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird
Does this mean we should tolerate it?[/qiote]

Toleration of other's viewpoints and the expression thereof is not seriously a consideration for most people. It's a given. They exist, and this means you should tolerate them. Not for their sake either, but for your own.

Talk about imposing your world view on other people, holy poop!

Asking for the world to actually change around you, as in moving posts around on a message board, would be imposing. Stating that the world has already changed around you does not fit the common definition of imposing, as I know it anyway.

This is ATS, for Christ sakes.

'Nuff said.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Very well said. From my small amount of exposure to these forums though, I get the impression that there are two distinctly different types of people who use ATS.

There are scientifically minded people who have a real and genuine curiosity to uncover the truth and use this forum as a way to discuss strange but compelling ideas with like minded people.

There are also people, who talk about science every day but look at is more as a noun than as a verb(figuratively speaking), not really following through with things like critical thinking, logical reasoning and falsifiability. They are generally much more interested in the pleasure of letting their imagination run wild with some friends under the guise that they're being serious.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with playing pretend that the timeline of the entire world has shifted. It's really fun suspending your disbelief for a little while and entertaining uncanny ideas. What I am saying is I seriously doubt that any of the timeline shifters REALLY believe what they are saying. It's an amazing notion that they entertain because it makes life more interesting to think that all this crazy stuff is happening, but if they really did believe deep down that the timeline of the world was shifting there would be serious behavioural consequences. Basically, they would be shouting in the streets.

I guess, like I said I think it comes down to the fact that there are two different types of ATS users, and this is where the main conflict over the Timeline shift/geography stuff comes from.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Actually, it probably should be moved to the Skunk Works forum, afterall it is a theory (I'm not judging) that's largely unsupported. Not, HOAX though...

I'm curious why you'd you start a rant thread though when you could request it through a U2U to a mod.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I say it's time to make a stand. No more nonsense! No more unprovable claims! There's a place for that stuff, and it's the "Gray Area", and as for stuff like the "Shocking: New Zealand and Australia are out of their place on the map" I believe it deserves to go straight to the [HOAX] board.

Can someone please tell me why this hasn't happened yet????

And can someone please tell me why this thread hasn't been moved to the "rant" forum yet?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

And then you come to the paranormal board and get 55 pages of people who can't just look at a map and go "woops, guess I was wrong", no, instead they have the to come up with a theory that the ENTIRE WORLD has "changed" around them, just because one of their vague recollections doesn't conform with reality. What the heck? Unacceptable. The entire notion of time line shifts and all the barely remembered nonsense that goes with it is a blight on this community. It should not be tolerated, and it gives this website a bad name.

Ever thought that timeline shifts might actually be real? Why are you so quick to judge them as false?

[edit on 27-4-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It should be moved to the "incredible idiot" forum.

or "unfathomably stupid misconception"

Or "I really should get out more often"

etc

etc

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I read that thread as well, personally I think any changes that are being seen to maps are the result of adjustments to what the globe really looks like.

The inaccuracy of our accepted world map is related more to it being a flat representation of a round object. For a long time the current image has been accepted even though it is known to have flaws in both scale and positioning...again, this is the result of translational errors (although there are cases to be made that some countries produce maps that exaggerate the facts of their own territory).

I think we will see the accepted map change gradually over the coming years as attempts are made to correct some of these flaws.

It will only be the altering of regions or countries that will be cause for alarm (ie the addition of the Iranian Ocean).

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwiffler

etc

etc

Sounds like ATS needs to create some new forums. Maybe they can add them when they do the ATS 2010 change over.

I suggest they also add a "Crazy for Cocoa Puffs" forum and an "AAAAAARRRRGGGHH!! " forum to.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwiffler

Ill vote for that

and to that note why don't we have an Idiotic/I cant Understand Deny IGNORANCE pile to push some dross into?

It seems at times people dont have a grasp of the first principle of why I and many others read this place rarther than any other - DENY IGNORANCE

Probably because they DENY INTELLIGENCE?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwiffler

etc

etc

Well, I think the front page generaly covers all those forums you suggested. But then again I'm a disinfo agent and a tool for the NWO timeshifters. Just sayin.
Don't you just love how "timeshifts" and other SF catchprases are just accepted as reality? Too much TV I think!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Edit: Never mind.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Lets just sum up the hysteria.

"I find this reality unappealing! I therefore ignore it and replace it with my own!"

Of course, I for one will wait for Doctor Samantha Carter and Daniel Jackson to comment before I commit to this reality. It may change again and Australia will be reverse parallel parked next to India for easier shopping.

Australia, Beautiful one day, parked next to Brazil the next.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well. I'm not jumping on the time shift bandwagon, or even a habitable alternate reality. But - Just to be fair, lets look at both sides of the argument, shall we?

What if - and I do mean IF - For these 98 or so people that believe their reality is now different with continents shifting about - For them, if they wake up in this world where land is different, and it baffles them. When a thread is made, of course the regulars to this dimension are going to say they're nuts. They keep waking up to the same ol' same ol', Nothing has changed for them. A few slip through the cracks and find themselves learning that they should be in a psyche ward, or worse yet , have their threads moved to 'HOAX'. I guess what I'm trying to say is, truth is stranger than fiction, so you never ever really know, until it happens to someone personally - Then the world thinks tthey're nuts.

If that brief explanation make sense........ I'd be more concerned about the fact that if I woke up in a different reality, and continents are not where they were in 7th grade geography class, the first thread I'd make is - "I woke up in an alternate reality, and the people are STILL intolerable to another point of view. That and the world is still nowhere I'd want to bring children into........ just think about it.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I got the positions of new mexico and arizona confused the other day. When i looked at a map, clearly I was wrong. I didnt create a conspiracy to explain away the fact I was wrong. The sheer arrogance of this is staggering really.

Memory is NOT concrete. Its pliable, interpreted, and where facts are forgotten, the brain can shove fabrication in the make up the slack. THAT is fact, scientific, provable, repeatable. We are imperfect biological computers.

Instead, these people are actually saying that they aren't wrong, the world around them is wrong, due to "time shift".

Now honestly which is more likely?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I agree with the OP.
I am fairly sure that those who think Australia has 'shifted' further north are used to seeing pictures of just Australia, without the nearby landmasses to put its location into perspective.
I did think NZ was further north, but t seems I was mistaken about that.
I do not dismiss the idea of the timeline shifting, and will not until I see conclusive evidence either way. However, the idea that entire countries moved seems off to me.

Oh, and they are moving, very slowly at about 4cm a year due to the movements of the tectonic plates.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love this.
Only on ATS would people think that "timeshifting"
is a more likely explaination than having a faulty memory!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaderel

You are absolutely correct - I hope you didn't think my reply was directed at you, btw. Good job not creating a conspiracy about a couple of states.

All I'm saying is, that these people that are admitting to this, and saying 'time shift', (which to me, time is time, location is something all together different) are convinced that their reality is somehow different. Right or wrong, that's their opinion. I think we all know which is more likely.

time shift, of course. J/K.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If I'm honest, fair enough the first thread, people were interested, many people joined in.

It's ATS, it's a theory, something many people seem to share, so let them have their fun.

Whether they've just looked at it wrong, remembered it wrong, convinced themselves they're right, whether they're actually right and somethings gone wrong or moved somewhere, or whether they're just making it up to be included, whatever. It happens, it's okay. 'Any statement that can't be proved true or false is meaningless' doesn't apply on ATS due to the nature of ATS.

It's the multiple threads started with people jumping on the bandwagon that annoy me...

I'm sure there's a rule about that somewhere...

[edit on 28/4/2010 by Ayana]

new topics

top topics

join