It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people blame everyone else for their failures?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
As I read through many posts, I see a large group of people on here who blame all of their problems on some "EVIL" Corporation or another.

For instance, I was just in a thread about a California city wanting to ban toys from Happy Meals. Some of the participants thought this was a great idea, because according to them McDonalds is evil and hurts people with their crappy food.

What the hell? Have you ever been forced to go into McDonalds and purchase a Happy Meal for your butter hog child? Can't say it has ever happened to me.

If you can't handle the responsibility of free choice then just go to some government agency and hand your life over to them. I am sure they would gladly take you up on your offer.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility. If you get drunk all the time, it is your own fault, not the Budweiser commercial. If you have a house full of Sham-wows to the point you cannot even walk through your house, its your own fault, not that crazy sales guys. If you are fat from eating fast food every day, its your own fault, not Burger King's for putting a restraunt down the street from you and giving you 2 for $3 deals.

Just because something looks good on TV, doesn't mean you need to run out and buy it. Nobody is forcing you to run up your credit cards because you think you are going to get a piece of tail because the Ax commercial said you were, if you just cover yourself in Ax products. Are you stupid?

Don't blame advertising and corporations for the fact that you have some lack of self esteem and/or self control. Take responsibilty for your life and make the right decisions for you and your family.

If your kid gets ran over by a car, because you didn't tan his hide for playing in the street, don't blame the guy who hit him. Blame natural consequences for your failure as a parent or your childs inability to distinguinish what is dangerous.

I am tired of giving up my freedom, because somehow a portion my fellow citizens have become the living version of Idiocracy. You don't need government to protect you or your children from the mundane.

I don't want the government making new laws, because you suck as a parent. If you don't want your kids to be morbidly obese then fix them a home cooked meal from time to time, make them eat fruit instead of candy, and get a pair and tell them no from time to time. It is good for them to learn that the world isn't here to kiss their fat, lazy behinds. They are going to learn it one day when they grow up, and it is way harder to let life kick you in the behind until you get the point than it is to have your parents say NO!

So please, for all our sakes, quit blaming everyone else for your problems and quit having the government strip me of my freedoms and choices, because you think it is somebody else's fault when it is clearly your own.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by BoneyMaroney]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
FLAG (the good kind)

metaphysically, we aren't separate from what we perceive anyhow, so.................

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BoneyMaroney

Personal responsibility just isn't cool anymore. All the cool kids are pointing fingers and waiting for someone else to tell them what to do. So much easier than having to make a decision and then accept the consequences of it no matter what they are. Who wants to do that when we can just get our hands held by the government? See, this way nothing is ever our fault it's always someone elses fault.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

Thanks for the good kind of flag.

You know what really gets me? It is this. I taught my kids this by the time they were 5. They knew that commercials make things seem better than they are and they sometimes lie. They knew if they spent their allowance on something stupid then they were screwed when the good thing came along. They knew you don't eat fruit rollups everyday because they rot your teeth out. They knew you don't get McDonalds everytime you see one, because Daddy said no... but every once in a while Daddy says yes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

You are so right. Why are so many people so pathetic now? If I woke up one day blaming everyone else for my problems I would kick my own behind. That is such a dis-empowering thought to think it is other people causing your problems. If it is your fault at least you have hope you can fix yourself, because you cannot control anyone but you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I blame parents. Hippy-era parents specifically. Once the hippy-era people started having kids, they went all touchy-feely about everything. Kids went from having set boundaries they knew not to cross to time-outs and "Timmy, tell me how you feel when you don't like the rules." Parents stopped being parents and started trying to be friends with their children. It doesn't work that way. I am not my sons' friend, I'm their mother, responsible for their care, and what I say goes. It's my job to teach them how to be responsible, how to make good choices, and to accept the consequences of their actions even when those consequences aren't much fun.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
People are just too stupid to know any better! We NEED the government to pass regulations so us mindless cretins won't balloon up to 450 pounds on a diet of Doritos and Big Macs.

We NEED the government to pass regulations, so we don't drink an 18 pack of Mountain Dew a day.

There is no personal responsibility anymore.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
To the op i was never allowed in my life to have personal responsibility for my own life and my own actions. The government and police just made up everything under the sun to take my liberty from me, without me doing anything.

Thats what government will do to everyone one day.

The police do not care if you do nothing, as long as they target you they do not care, its money for them.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have had to deal with people like this- they take NO responsibility for their actions, and then when you *try* to show them the error of their ways (and I kid you not), they get uglier than what they already are! I have been threatened, lied to- Someone tried to extort money out of me- had a cat foisted on me (who will NOT get neutered like this fat lying *censored* *cough* woman said, I have to do it myself), The ones who do not want responsibility are the ones who like the blame game. LIKE to make someone else deal with their crap. Because of complete and total LAZINESS.

It gets worse, at least here in my end of things. People do crap like this because I CARE. I try to be NICE. I try to do GOOD.

Not any more. People like that shall now get the middle finger of discontent from me.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

I blame parents. Hippy-era parents specifically. Once the hippy-era people started having kids, they went all touchy-feely about everything. Kids went from having set boundaries they knew not to cross to time-outs and "Timmy, tell me how you feel when you don't like the rules." Parents stopped being parents and started trying to be friends with their children. It doesn't work that way. I am not my sons' friend, I'm their mother, responsible for their care, and what I say goes. It's my job to teach them how to be responsible, how to make good choices, and to accept the consequences of their actions even when those consequences aren't much fun.

Whilst i agree that parents are to blame i dont think it was the hippy-era that caused it.Seems to me it started in the 1990s,parents started to be at work more than at home and as a consequence the family unit has suffered,its just got worse since then,as we can all see now,seems people are teaching there children all the wrong things today,the complete opposite of how any decent human being would behave,i see alot of it coming of the tv.seems for the majority "soaps" are the ideal world sadly.Also i consider everyone of my children my friend,its fundamental to me that my children also see me through those eyes too.sorry to rant

good thread

edit~typos
Treat others how You wish to be treated~Jesus christ

[edit on 27-4-2010 by YehudasTheEnabler]

[edit on 27-4-2010 by YehudasTheEnabler]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I think you are dead on. Every since parents decided to be their kids friends instead of their authority figure everything has went to hell. I had a friend of mine laugh as he told me how his wife did a shot of whiskey with their 16 year old son. It took everything I had not to smack some sense into him. 16 year olds can find all kinds of buddies to do shots with,what they need is someone to set a standard for them and be an example.

By the way, you sound like a great mother. My kids always tell me I am not nice when they don't get their way, and I always tell them that I must be doing a good job then.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by YehudasTheEnabler

Great point. So many parents parent from guilt. So instead of spending more quality time with their kids they make themselves feel better by giving them whatever they want.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I don't know

Its the same as attributing all of your success to yourself. All though this one would require more intellectual honesty to examine.

both are delusional to believe absolutely IMO

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Actually a very good point that I hadn't considered much. It is dangerous to think you did everything on your own and to lack humility. I think you are probably safer if you blame all of your problems on yourself and give everyone else around you credit for your successes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneyMaroney

Actually a very good point that I hadn't considered much. It is dangerous to think you did everything on your own and to lack humility. I think you are probably safer if you blame all of your problems on yourself and give everyone else around you credit for your successes.

I think the safest, most common thing is to blame everyone else for the bad and yourself for the good...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You know what? I am actually very busy and have a lot of work to do! Lately I've been able to get much of that work done because there just hasn't been much interesting going on in this site...at least to me, but these past few days have been cracking and sizzling and popping with all sorts of compelling issues. How am I supposed to get any work done when people keep creating all these cool threads? Sheesh! So, there I was working away and finally getting something accomplished and then you had to start this thread, and now look what you've done! I hope your happy. If I miss my deadline this will be your fault.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Sadly yes,another thing is single parents,when either leaves this is generally bad for the children involved,i dont think people realise how lost there children feel when there parents splitup,is why children go off the rails and the parent is generally to busy sorting there life out to see whats going on with there children,also another thing is "most" people seem to think in todays world that if you can feed/clothe/buy it all it needs(essentialy spoil your child)that makes them a parent,they forget they are the ones who have to teach it how to behave in an appropriate manner,sorry to rant again.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Originally posted by BoneyMaroney

I think the safest, most common thing is to blame everyone else for the bad and yourself for the good...

I see what your saying but for alot of people this is real.Depends on how honest you are i suppose.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You people suck. While I don't agree with banning toys in Happy Meals, and I do agree with taking personal responsibility, I must say, there are people in this world that screw it up for the rest of us, so we need laws to keep them in check. Don't like all the video cameras watching you when you shop? Thank a thief. Don't like drunk driving checkpoints? Thank a drunk driver. Laws are created to protect us from them. Would you rather government just step back and let them run amok?

If your kid gets ran over by a car, because you didn't tan his hide for playing in the street, don't blame the guy who hit him. Blame natural consequences for your failure as a parent or your childs inability to distinguinish what is dangerous.

That's good. Calling someone who loses a child a failure as a parent. What level of hell did Satan spew you out of? You should be ashamed, but you're not, and you will flame me. You are a POS!

You don't need government to protect you or your children from the mundane.

You need them to protect you from criminals, mentally insane people, sociopaths, corporate rape, drunk drivers, thieves, factory pollution, etc. Or do you think you can handle all that by yourself?

I don't want the government making new laws, because you suck as a parent.

Maybe kids ought to take responsibility and not blame parents. Isn't that what this thread is about; not placing blame? Oh, but kids are naive. Yea, so are some adults. Like the ones who don't understand how society deals with rule breakers.
I want the government to make a new law because you suck as a human.

So please, for all our sakes, quit blaming everyone else for your problems and quit having the government strip me of my freedoms and choices, because you think it is somebody else's fault when it is clearly your own.

So what I am hearing is everything that happens to you is ALL your own fault? Then why are you blaming government for taking your freedoms, it's your fault. Deal with it.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Though I do disagree with your post, I do apologize for the example of a family member loosing a child. That was a bit too much.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join