It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Intelligent Aliens Undermine God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Are we alone in the universe? Or, given the vast numbers of stars and planets, is the universe teeming with intelligent life? The search is intensifying, and what if that electrifying first contact comes? How would it impact human society? How would it affect religion?

I’d like to believe in a creator God. Would such a God have made the universe to bring forth innumerable species of intelligent life? Or would such a God have made human beings, on this ordinary planet circling an ordinary star in an ordinary galaxy, to be so absolutely and utterly unique? Some religions teach that what God does right here is supremely and stunningly special. Christianity cannot duck this question: Would intelligent aliens undermine God?

NASA chief historian Steven Dick questions the consistency of the Christian salvation plan if there are sentient beings on other planets. The salvation of humans on Earth depends, according to traditional doctrine, on Jesus’ death and resurrection, but what about those beings on other planets? Does his death on earth save them?

Source

Click source for the whole story.

I for one think disclosure or contact will radically change peoples perspectives in regards to religion and God because of their traditions and upbringing. I also think it would change most of them in a good way along with informing people that there's a bigger picture at hand, not just our tiny greed driven planet.

If that were the case maybe we would be more peace driven and unified. It's hard to tell exactly because there are so many factors but hopefully we can someday soon find out.

What say ye? Would it strengthen your beliefs in God, destroy them or have little or no effect?

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Crossfate]

[edit on April 27th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am a Christian..pretty much a Bible literalist, and have done much deep study...especially love Enoch. Anyway, aliens would not weaken my faith in God, but in fact reinforce it.

The Book of Enoch, Ezekiel, Elijah, some of the other texts...all point in that direction. Further, since God made the vast universe..why not other life forms. I would be willing to believe that they too, have met Jesus...or however you would say it in alienese...lol.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Good point.

It raises some pretty big philosophical questions if it turns out that there's nobody out there when mathematically so probable, almost certain.

Maybe we have to take a look inside before we can go into outside.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Ezekiel is quite interesting especially where he has his vision that is believed to be a UFO. Too bad aliens aren't integrated into religion more often then maybe if we have disclosure no one's paradigms get shredded apart, for those who it does affect. But paradigm shift is good and healthy. It keeps the mind open IMO and if aliens were a part of religion, religion might be more open minded and less riddled and issue ridden. I really wonder if disclosure happened if we'd lose a lot of religious beliefs or if some would get even crazier than some fundamentalists we see.

Any off the top references that might involve aliens or outside life other than spirits and nephilim that you know of that coincides with your religious beliefs?

Also, thank you for your input.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

Inside before the outside. I like the way you put that and entirely agree at least when it comes to my personal life.

One of the better explanations of God I heard was of him being a extra terrestrial in most cases and not denomination aligned but most people, because of their alien views and how they attribute the thought of ET's become offended at such theories.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

Would Intelligent Aliens Undermine God?

I think its adherents do a fairly solid job of that without extraterrestrial aid.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
What's there to undermine?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Have you ever considered that what we call "God" could actually exist out of time, out of this dimension, out of this plane? That he/it would manifest in every living thing as it is?

For the assumed ET beliefs.. it's very probable the they would have slided into more scientific worldview and got rid of silly superstitions. Maybe they didn't even have the concept of "god" in the first place.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
God's own followers have undermined their own deity. Aliens cant do much more damage, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych

For the assumed ET beliefs.. it's very probable the they would have slided into more scientific worldview and got rid of silly superstitions. Maybe they didn't even have the concept of "god" in the first place.

Actually, I think they are at a point where spirituality and science is pretty much the same.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych

Have you ever considered that what we call "God" could actually exist out of time, out of this dimension, out of this plane? That he/it would manifest in every living thing as it is?

Yes I've also theorized on the concept of God being entirely made up as well.

I mean what better way to organize a religion than invent some invisible entity with whatever agenda and you being the only one able to communicate directly with him. Well I suppose that's a more fundamentalist's approach but the reasons make sense to me. Other than that religions sometimes illusive usefulness, despite some peoples beliefs on it, can help those who need such types of help. I "personally" think religion is a tool and some days it seems to be a scourge but with upsides come downsides and vice versa just depending on which religion it is, who runs it, etc...

I am more agnostic than anything as I don't personally believe in organized religion but God to me is something I choose not to define in terms of religious beliefs because something unknown, unseen and unheard is something very hard to study with a physical and scientific approach.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't personally believe in God, but I doubt it would have any effect on people practicing religions. As the church has always done, they will change their teachings in order to better suit the times, and people will accept those changes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Aliens also have things wich they call god-dont you know anything

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Actually, I think they are at a point where spirituality and science is pretty much the same.
[edit on 27-4-2010 by sphinx551]

Really interesting.. and highly speculative.

Maybe they wouldn't even experience "spirituality" same way we do. I mean, has anyone ever asked i.e. a dolphin if he/she believed in God? Maybe our definitions would differ very radically, and the animal wouldn't even understand what we mean.

Or maybe the aliens would consider the question of "god" irrelevant and push us towards more rational worldview?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignolan
I don't personally believe in God, but I doubt it would have any effect on people practicing religions. As the church has always done, they will change their teachings in order to better suit the times, and people will accept those changes.

Another very good point!

People when indoctrinated or in denial will believe what they want to. The mind see's what it wants to see. I imagine the ones that would be changed are the ones open minded enough or the individuals that are "really" seeking truth and enlightenment.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Jesus has always been associated with Earth. Early writings of him seem to point to him saving this world, and only this world.

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

John 12:31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

This world means that there are other worlds. He chose us. We are special. If the time of judgment for this world has come, then there are other worlds judged and other worlds to be judged. God might just be waiting for them to evolve. The main point is this. The Bible infers this world is not alone.

That said, God seems to speak of something more than human.

Mark 16:15-16

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

This leads me to believe that God's been around the block, chosen his fav five, and commanded them to be a sign to the rest.

There is ultimately no change. If there was only one world, then God would not speak of "this" world. There are others, and other intelligences. It can easily be inferred that it is his will to save as many as possible.

Then again, maybe God is just a nice reaper.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Unless the aliens gives us concrete proof of God, it's just as likely or unlikely that he exists after they said "hi" to us.

If anything, we can assume that a race capable of visiting us is vastly superior in technical intelligence than us, they'd likely be able to disprove even more of what's in the bible.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Remember the old TV program "Project Blue Book" about unidentified flying objects and not just flying saucers etc.

It always started with the prologue: "Ezekiel said he saw the Wheel: This is what he said he saw!" There would then be a picture of blueprint drawings on a draughtman's table.

To me, this was pretty close to what Ezekiel saw, a fiery, wheeled charriot, turned on its side.

Also remember that in Genesis, God said, "Let US make man in OUR own image" - indicating that there was more than one God, but in Exedos, he seems to have had a change of heart when he said, "Thou shalt have no other Gods, but me!"

Perhaps God was the leader of the group of Gods or 'Aliens' and remember if we were an ancient people who came down from the skies, we would [probably] be worshipped as Gods.

Is there alien life in the Galaxy or the Universe? Of course there is. It may not be as intelligent as we are or it [they] may be quite beyond our understanding and be technically superior to us, but there is definately someone or something out there.

We have not found it or them just yet. Perhaps they have already found us!

Lets be patient because if I were an alien, advanced or not, I would sure as hell not want to come here with all the wars and killing that are going on!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archirvion
Aliens also have things wich they call god-dont you know anything

I'd like to hear their take on God. That would be a extremely interesting conversation for sure at least if they do believe in God and in any way, our God also.

What would be interesting is if upon disclosure multiple alien races had multiple alien God's all in some way similar to our religions God's. I'll tell ya we have a lot of religions on the planet and if I found out they had some wacky beliefs in God, I might be pushed further from the subject just due to the fact there are 5,000,000 different religions when alien religion is included.

Good thought!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

However, not knowing other worlds beliefs we only have evidence of his beliefs on this planet which might potentially limit our view on the subject without having another perspective.

And maybe those scriptures you referenced mean the "world" as the people, not the planet itself. Regardless, preaching to every creature is interesting. Perhaps it could be a hyperbole to get the point across of "miss not one person"?

Good points and thanks for the references.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join