It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

120,000 year climatic cycle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've been doing a lot of my own research into "global warming" and climate cycles and I found a page detailing the Earth's temperature and related climate history. What I found to be interesting are 2 specific graphs detailing global ice mass and temperature for the last million years. If the data is accurate, there appears to be a fairly regular pattern over the last million years of corresponding peaks and valleys in both temperature and ice mass.

Global ice mass for last 6M & 1M years.

Temperature for last 1M, 150k, 16k, & 150yrs.

Sea Level over last 150k yrs

Source Link - University California Riverside

If this is valid and holds true, we are, indeed, on the verge of a major cool down. The source of which is yet to be determined - my guess would be volcanic in nature or something causing the oceanic currents to shift or stop.

Feel free to tear holes in this as I haven't been able to find similar data with which to cross reference this. That is part of the reason I wanted to throw it out there to be honest.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hey man, I'm right there with ya...been sayin' this global warming thing is absolute horse stuff.

I too have done some studyin', and like you see cycles. Heck, anyone can look at history and see there have been warm times followed by cold times...at last count, I think there are 3 confirmed Ice Ages.

Further, 120,000 years is still a drop in the geological time bucket.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There have actually been 9 major ice ages in the past million years occurring at approx. 110-120000 year intervals based on the data. So 120000 is a drop in the bucket if you're looking for a pattern, it doesn't really appear until you go back 1M years.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Looking at the major peaks and valleys:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ef688d2cc08.png[/atsimg]

The average time span between the lows is 81,500 years, with a range of 33,000 to 125,000.
The average time span between the highs is 92,500, with a range of 67,000 to 125,000 years.
The time span between the peaks and valleys varies quite a lot as well.

Cycles, yes. Regular, not so much.
Your observation has been made before though. It is thought that the cycles are influenced by the Earth's various motions. Based on combination of the Earth's orbital parameters and precession it's been calculated that we've got about 50,000 years to go in this warm period.
www.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 4/27/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Necrosis

Yes, this is interesting information. It makes you realize how incredibly insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

A drop in the bucket.

One grain of sand we are.

The question is, what caused all those peaks and valleys on your charts to occur?

I would say it is a number of different things including:
-Volcanoes
-Asteroid impacts
-Solar disturbances
-The possible Nemesis or Brown dwarf that might be the Sun's binary twin.
-Randomness
-nuclear wars(lol)......seriously though, there is evidence that points to this.

God knows how many different people, aliens and whatnot have occupied this planet over the years. We are just some cosmic backwater, like an island in the pacific. People get shipwrecked sometimes. Sometimes those shipwrecked people thrive on their island, and eventually build a new ship.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Dont ya just hate these global warming dis-info fools. Al your graphs are for a natural world-dim wit, our world is adding carbon and other warming gasses to its atmosphere so now we are so unnatural in our environment that you would have to be nuts to even look at a historic graph.
Just another shill for the anti-planet people. How old are you guys who distrust the science on warming?? Are any of you dry behind the ears??

My uncle is 86, i am 54 and we know the planet is warming fast. We see the governments global dimming air planes daily now and for the past 15 years we have seen them--[no big airports here in n wisconsin.] you know, the planes whose chem-trails go from horizon to horizon then spread out to haze the sky by noon most days here.
Some say that the government has dimmed 20% of incoming light and we still see warming. but wait dis -info shills, it will soon make fools out of all of you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If you took the time to read the page, you'd have seen the part where it says that man's effect has been to cause us to reach a peak faster than we naturally would have. It indicates that, without man's influence, the climate "could" have been stable for another 1000 years. With it, we could make the dip at any time. It actually proves BOTH sides of the camp correct in that yes, there appears to be a long term cycle and yes, man's influence will cause us to hit a threshold faster than we naturally would have.

The peaks and valleys that correspond with the temperature are those for global ice mass being low at temperature maximums and high at minimums as one would expect. The same with sea level over the last period of 150000 years - it is at a peak now with high temperatures.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Necrosis]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There are so many questions I have relating to this:

1. Does the earth expand during hot periods and contract in the cooler zones

2. Does human construction // living zones // cities // towns ... have any effect (pressure) when its weight is quantified by gravity against the earths crust // core?

3. When a volcano erupts what happens to the hole once the magma has been expelled? does it fill up again (obviously) and if so is this source unlimited?

4. Continuing on this production of magma, does the earth "shrink" in size over time?

posted on Jul, 26 2021 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Look up MIlankotitch cycles. e.g. en.wikipedia.org...
For climate cycles from very long to short, see this video
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join