It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AG: Court challenge possible on immigration law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

AG: Court challenge possible on immigration law

news.yahoo.com

Attorney General Eric Holder says the federal government may challenge Arizona's new law on immigration.

The attorney general told reporters Tuesday that he fears Arizona's new law is subject to abuse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well...we all knew this was coming.

Personally I am glad...no American citizens rights should be infringed upon to enforce any law. And this Arizona law has the potential to do just that.

I just don't think that is the direction I want to see the country go...citizens should not have live in fear of having to prove they are citizens.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It is my understanding that Arizona's immigration law is patterned after Federal immigration law. How in the hell can Holder challenge it in Court? Arizona is trying to do the job that the Federal Government is SUPPOSED to do. You can't write fiction this good.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The question that the federal government needs to ask itself is what will happen if they do this and the actions of the people who are begging for help? How long do they think that the citizens, who they are responsible to protect, are going to sit idly by and just continue to be terrorized in their own homes before they get together and start to take matters into their own hands? Right now if anything the law that AZ passed is forcing the federal government to act, however, what they do will determine what the people who are most affected by such, will do next. If they do something unpopular and get this law brought down, I wonder how they will react if the ranchers in southern AZ start shooting illegale immigrants who are tresspassing on their land, and actually killing people?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It is a shame no one was there to fight it, when it was decided that American citizens should live in fear of having to prove ID/Drivers' license/Insurance.

Really, why should any of us need to provide any proof of anything?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"live in fear of proving that they are citizens"? Really? What is so terrible about that? Dumb question now. Are the illegals in question allowed to obtain drivers licenses in arizona? If not, then what is the problem. Everyone is supposed to carry drivers license or state id, I just fail to see what the problem is carrying id. I would think that the people living in the areas that are nothing short of overrun, have "more to fear"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Well if you live in fear of providing proof of citizenship then you must be illegal. Do you crap yourself everytime you get pulled over for speeding and the guy asks you for your drivers license, proof of insurance, and your car registration?

I would gladly give them proof of citizenship, because I am proud to be a citizen of this great country.

The weird thing is that whenever I go to another country they make me show my passport and visa, and it never bothered me a bit. So why would I mind showing my own country that I am one of them. I would be glad to show mine everytime they asked if it meant that one more illegal immigrant was kicked back over the border until they come here lawfully.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This tripe about how no one should be required to provide i.d. to law enforcement is absolute crap. You have to have a license, registration and proof of insurance to drive a car. You have to have a social security card and photo i.d. to get a job. Hell, you need a freakin' license to fish, yet being asked to provide i.d. to prove you're not an illegal immigrant crosses the line? Grow up... you have to carry more i.d. than that just to go visit MEXICO.

Well, it looks as though it's back to the drawing board for citizens in the Southwest who want the government to do their damn jobs and enforce their own laws. Personally, if the government doesn't even care that ranchers in AZ now have to worry about being gunned down on their own property by illegals, I hope people in that state do start taking matters into their own hands - maybe then someone will start paying attention.

This tip-toeing around immigration enforcement because people throw around the "racist" or "profiling" card makes me sick. It's racist to enforce the laws of one's own country now? It's "profiling" when Latin Americans are asked to provide proof of citizenship when the problem of illegal immigration stems from Latin American countries? Last time I checked, there weren't hoards of Norwegians streaming over the border from Ciudad Juarez.

You're entitled to your opinions, but unless you've lived in the Southwest and seen the negative influence illegal immigration has had on the states bordering Mexico you really have no right to judge the Arizona state legislature IMO. Hell, NM and Texas are waiting with baited breath to see how this pans out before they test the waters themselves!

top topics

join