It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug maker to pay $520 million fine for illegal marketing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Drug maker to pay $520 million fine for illegal marketing

news.blogs.cnn.com

Drug manufacturing giant AstraZeneca will pay a $520 million fine for illegally marketing the antipsychotic drug Seroquel, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So yet again the drug companies are busted for misleading people to get them to use their drugs. Earlier this year new laws were passed forcing them to disclose how much they were paying doctors to support their drugs. Glaxosmithkline also said they would stop making psychiatric drugs due to the diffuculty of testing these drugs and financial costs of testing a drug which is unpredictable.

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wonder who I can contact to report GlaxoSmithKline for the same illegal practices.
As a former employee of GSK we did the same thing marketing Risperdal, another antipsychotic, for the treatment of bipolar disorder. If anyone knows who to contact, let me know. GSK should go down for the same crimes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Seroquel is a TERRIBLE drug, that should not be prescribed to ANYONE.

Yet not long ago, another company was sued for massive amounts over supposedly marketing Neurontin towards diagnoses' they were not tested for. Which is a shame. Neurontin/Gabapentin is a godsend for several Neurological and mental disorders.

I guess I am glad to see the makers of Seroquel getting punished.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well this is how big pharma works. One drug comes out and it is promoted as the best drug in the world. Time goes on and the side effects start being reported then the drug takes a step down and people become skeptical on if it helps people or not. Then right about the time stuff like this starts happening the drug is either discontinued, outlawed or just replaced. Then they come out with a new drug rinse and repeat.
The loboty was the wonder treatment then when it became illegal it was replaced by drugs like Chlorpromazine which was replaced by...

reply to post by lostviking

www.antipharma.com...

and
www.cchr.org...
would probably like to hear from you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

FAIL.

Risperdal is produced and marketed by Janssen-Cilag (Johnson & Johnson in the US). NOT GSK. It has also been off patent since 2004, with a generic version produced by Teva amongst others.

You need to be a little less confused about your employers and what you are doing for them. That way, you get to remain being an employee, rather than a 'former employee'.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I used to take Seroquel ... it was prescribed to me for acute insomnia. Not its original intended use but effective to put you down if you can't sleep hence it is commonly prescribed for that purpose. This is obviously a marketing strategy on their part to increase sales.

It is a terrible drug. One develops tolerance to dosages very quickly leading to ever increasingly high dosage for effectiveness. It reeks a terrible toll on the on the mind and the system, not the least of which is massive weight gain and other significant long term side effects. The best thing I ever did is to get myself off of it. It took my system almost a full year to recover from it.

This is a massive issue and I'm glad they're getting nailed on it. These drugs are powerful and really only for a tiny segment of the population that suffers from very specific issues. But to justify their manufacturing and for greater profits they try to expand the market to include folks for whom the drug was never intended for.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

thats pretty screwed up.
What ended the insomnia for you?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
??

Originally posted by zaiger
Glaxosmithkline also said they would stop making psychiatric drugs due to the diffuculty of testing these drugs and financial costs of testing a drug which is unpredictable.

Where did you read that?

Wouldn't discontinuing patented drugs cause a swath of new lawsuits?

[edit on 28/4/10 by TheMadHatter]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That kind of money is unfortunately a drop in the bucket for what these companies make. Big Pharma needs their ass nailed to the wall for what they have done with their drugs. Millions of dollars is a slap on the wrist to these guys.

But, it's always nice to see them get at least get some justice put in on them. We do need to keep pushing for justice on Big Pharma. Bring them to their knees, and make them become ethical in their manufacture of drugs.

Troy

[edit on 28-4-2010 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMadHatter

Where did you read that?

online.wsj.com...

GlaxoSmithKline PLC said it will stop research into new antidepressants and focus on diseases for which it believes it can develop more valuable drugs, a major shift for a company that developed some of the biggest-selling antidepressants of the past 20 years.

As soon as the patents run out on their old drugs they will not be replacing them with any new ones.

Wouldn't discontinuing patented drugs cause a swath of new lawsuits?

Not really many of the drugs are the same things with different brand names. like Paxil can be called Seroxat or Paroxetine. So if one stops making it someone else does.

reply to post by cybertroy

But this is everything moving in the right direction.

www.kaiserhealthnews.org...

So yes the 520 million is a drop in the bucket to them but now they have to disclose what they pay doctors to speak for them. So things are getting harder for them to work with. This 520million is just the begining, more people will come forward and there will be more lawsuits.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

GlaxoSmithKline PLC said it will stop research into new antidepressants and focus on diseases for which it believes it can develop more valuable drugs, a major shift for a company that developed some of the biggest-selling antidepressants of the past 20 years.

That says they will be discontinuing research into new antidepressants, not stopping the manufacturing of psych pills altogether. You may have misread.

Not to my knowledge, have psych meds been completely discontinued to where the patient cant get the pill they have been prescribed anymore.

Generic Seroquel patent currently prohibits any generic Seroquel from being manufactured until 2012 at the earliest. Lawsuits or patents for specific uses for the drug could extend this date. While some companies may claim to sell a generic Seroquel, these drugs could be fake, substandard, and potentially dangerous. You should not buy any so-called generic versions until an approved one is available

Source

Haldol is even still around.

Originally posted by zaigerAs soon as the patents run out on their old drugs they will not be replacing them with any new ones.

Some other manufacturer may make the pills after a company drops the patent, but I doubt they would be completely unavailable.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
My best to you, OP, for your attention to this matter.

This is one of the reason's I am continually complaining about the FDA. These type attrocities are being performed with their blessings, or they are so incompetent or disconnected from their actual function they don't know. I honestly don't know which would be worse.

The government is now going after wall street, and I hope the FDA will be next.

Abilify.....is also a horrible drug, which I will use as my example, as it is my latest soap-box focus. Physicians report claims made by patients in terms of symptoms, or unusual occurrences with medications.

Drug companies are capitalizing on what they perceive as reported symptoms they can use to market or re-market a medication. Abilify wasn't hugely successful as an anti-psychotic. Well, hell, let's put it out there as an anti-depressant and see what happens! Depression's the real money maker, and the new SSRI's have cornered that market! We have this new drug, surely we can sell it to target some symptom or another!

As many of you know, the reasons why some of these drugs perform the way they do is not fully understood. It's a hit or miss scenario. Clinical studies are abused, not meeting standards, but are somehow or other getting the go-ahead for public consumption without proper studies.

The clinical study is being based on patients, who are prescribed the drug. Prescribe now, figure it out when reports start coming in.
When a new drug comes out, patients should be provided a copy of the clinical study. If it's inadequate or substandard, the patient should actually be PAID to take the medication, for participating in their clinical study. Which is what many times is happening. IT's HAPPENING.

Think of it like this......Abilify initially began as a shaky kind of anti-psychotic medication. A group of patients reported "well, I'm not as depressed as I was". This information is passed along by the physician.

The next thing we see on television, is they are now marketing it as an aid for treating depression! (which it does not do.)

NEVER accept one of these medications as a sleeping aid. There are proper sleeping aids! Furthermore, I would instantly lose confidence in any physician who even remotely suggested I take one of these drugs. And you should too, unless you are hearing voices, or are diagnosed with a thought disorder.

Although harmless in appearance, quite small and cute, these medications are very powerful. Not to say they don't have their place, they certainly do, and can restore some persons to a level of productive functioning.

But they are not for everybody....as the pharmaceutical companies would like you to believe.

*Rant NOT over. This rant will never be over, until the problems are corrected. It's a disgrace.

[edit on 4/28/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
GlaxoSmithKline got red handed also in their making of vaccine for infants and children, they were putting pig and monkey DNA in the vaccines.

Now that is some serious problem when they vaccinated 10 million children worldwide with the tainted vaccines. . .

Monsters is what big pharma are

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Having reviewed many of these companies, and their medications, I can say without reservation GSK is the worse of the worst. (Or is it worst of the worse
, I need to review my grammar).

Anyway, I wonder how they get away with what they get away with........
their tactics seem to fall on blind eyes.....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I tell you, how can a maker of vaccine with state of the art equipment "super quilify researches" can not explain why animal DNA is in childrens vaccine, or their explanation makes no sense.

Actually I was short about how many children workdwide.

The FDA Shuts Down Common Infant Vaccine After Startling Discovery

One million U.S. children, and about 30 million worldwide, have already received GlaxoSmithKline’s Rotarix vaccine. Now a research team has discovered it is contaminated with “a substantial amount” of DNA from a pig virus.

What is pig virus DNA doing in a vaccine intended to prevent rotavirus disease, which causes severe diarrhea and dehydration?

It’s anybody’s guess, although CNN reported that GlaxoSmitthKline detected the substance in the cell bank and the seed used to make the vaccine, “suggesting its presence from the early stages of vaccine development.”

It is actually common for vaccines to contain various animal matter, including foreign animal tissues containing genetic material (DNA/RNA), but even FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg told CNN:

articles.mercola.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

As a result of aggressive marketing, Seroquel has been increasingly used for children and elderly people for indications not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The drugs have caused rapid weight gain in children, and side effects including deaths have prompted warnings against giving the drugs to elderly patients for dementia.

Although doctors are permitted to prescribe any approved drug for off-label uses, it is illegal for drug makers to promote medications for any purpose not specifically approved by the F.D.A.

So, it looks like the FDA is in the clear on this one. However, this is nothing to play with, and the fines alone are not enough. We are talking about deaths here, as well as irreversible side effects. It's taken a while, like I knew it would, but reports of Tardive Dyskinesia are starting to filter in.
Criminal charges should be sought. I'm thinking criminal negligence, or even manslaughter, involuntary or not.

If you look up these anti-psychotics, they clearly warn "Not to be used for persons less than 18 years of age". Yet it's done routinely. In Nursing Homes you see them used routinely for the elderly, even though they do not treat dementia.

Why are they used? As chemical restraints. Is the child or the elderly person disruptive to your program? Parent can't manage the child's behavior? Nurses are tired of dealing with an unruly resident?

Well, hell. Just knock 'em out. Turn them into zombies. That will shut them up.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You know I'm all for medical research. The more effective medications we can find for cures and controlling symptoms I think is great. And all that research has to be paid for, I understand that, I know we all do.

But like with these vaccines, they have crossed the line of what is ethical.
They are marketing them too soon, yes. But the blatant deception is what will do us in. Drugs are big business, as we all know.

When there is a difference in clearing 26 Billion in profit per year, or 86 Billion in profit per year, they lose sight of their mission. Unless, of course the mission is to increase profits.

Edit to add: Anyone who did not read the link the OP provided, please do.
It gives you a glimpse into how these companies operate. It ain't pretty.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Thanks for your input on this. I always wonder if there was a vitamin in the store that cause 1/2 as many side effects as these medications how long would they last before they got yanked from the shelf.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It all comes down to what is been hitting our nation like a storm, lack of regulation and government oversight, this should be an eye opener to anybody to understands who rules in America.

We citizens are nothing but spendable. . .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join