It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Wednesday Media Teleconference About Search For Extraterrestrial Life

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
There already starting to avoid Questions they dont like!

Never a straight answer

They must know that most of the intelligent life has already left mars!
And is in their DNA

link   
EDITED.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by broahes]

link   
i hope we get some info on future space telescopes like sim lite, New worlds observer, tpf etc

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
3rd question.
did you catch the reporter's remark about avoiding radiation to aliens? -(reporter's sarcasm)

[edit on 28-4-2010 by manta78]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
the only papers that this guys read are only their/ All the documents that the journalists have referred this guys haven't even hear about them.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
rehydrate the earth through asteroid bombardment

yikes

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
Contributing radiation out to the aliens through SW radio..

And they didnt even got the sarcasm. haha...

I should have known. Why do they do a conference so pointless??

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
To every one talking about how pointles this conference is.

why bother posting here then? why take up good space, that can be used for ontopic discussion.

if i was in charge i would warn you all.

You are stretching the thread with your waste of space sarcastic reply's.
making us go through pages of uneccesary comments.

just dont bother posting here.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HalfAWorldAway

Originally posted by broahes
Contributing radiation out to the aliens through SW radio..

And they didnt even got the sarcasm. haha...

I should have known. Why do they do a conference so pointless??

To get more funding?

Seriously, I was expecting some results of that last mission that was supposed to find traces of water etc to confirm the finding of fossilized life on mars. Well, I guess we are gonna have to wait some 28 missions more huh?!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
discovery channel reporter: re mars mission - are there other objectives, samples, etc. also question re human space program
now what's going to happen? NASA says "we are just going to keep on keeping on"

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
as I'm listening to the scientist from NASA answers some question.. I can't help but to hear this type of "EGO" and arrogance, as if they're GOD and "well if I didn't know about it, then it must not exist"... seriously?! what is it they know that makes them feel so much above rest of us?! Is this common with all type of scientists or just NASA folks?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
quote re website mentioned above.
will check that one later. this conference is interesting. keep in mind that these are scientists who are very enthusiastic about each position they hold at nasa and are trying to explain those functions or activities which can be "dry" to some people.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by manta78]

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
For those who missed the tele-conference, here are the highlights:

Possible findings of fossil life/bacteria on the surface of Mars in the future.

Mission proposals: Exploring methane on Mars, return samples of Mars, Europa orbiting mission finding liquid, exploring Titan (probe landing on Titan), return samples from a comet. Just some out of 28.

Questions and answers:

Q1: Regarding Stephen Hawking's recent statement - Should Earth should be broadcasting signals? What's NASA's policy?

A: Yes, we surely should...

Q2: Question about some report about liquid water on Mars from some (news)paper?

A: Haven't seen it, no idea.

Q3: Question about (upcoming) sample missions on Mars?

A: Breaking into three parts will lower costs.

Q4: Question about found Meditterian deposits?

A: Sample of bunch of different organisms: bacteria, photoplankton, microscopic organisms. About 6 million years old. Belongs to Naviqula, similiar to ones living now. Maybe we'll find something later on.

Q5: Discovery of water on a asteroid announced today?

A: Haven't see the newspaper mentioned. If object has water, it's worth studying. We should go where the data leads us. The continuing discovery of icy asteroids is always interesting.

Q6: Importance of sole states? Which spacecraft were/are used?

A: Important in regards to water, Mars is an ideal place for studying this. Opportunity probe - magnesium and calcium sole states.

Q7: Mars sample return mission - will upcoming missions have any other objectives as well or just return samples?

A: Exclusive just to that goal, probably.

Q8: New initiative in the human space program - how is it related with everything you do?

A: Getting humans deep in the solar system, details of rockets getting to Mars don't affect our work really, we keep going on.

Q9: Shaping strategy in the near term? How about the long term, new technologies, using lasers, microscopy?

A: Learning more about the data that came back and that will come back later on, habitality on Mars, possible life on Mars, photographs, info on mineralogy. Discussion on Life Detection Technologies. Life is about pattern, will be looking for patterns using new technologies. Studying ancient microscopical fossils on Earth and then those on Mars.

Q10: Another question about micro-fossils...

A: Something about findings of gypsum in 1922.

Q11: Again some fossils question (omg, are those journalists dumb?)...

A: Again something Opportunity and a report in Science from 2004.

Q12: Question about NASA's budget and suggested projects. Will there be money for them?

A: Sure, NASA projects have been always well supported. That will continue for a decade (just a decade?) or many decades in the future.

Q13: Summarize the research team in Arizona?

A: blah blah blah (presenting the team)

Q14: Detection of fossils in the Meditterian and it's importance, more clearly please?

A: Salt states of gypsum on Mars..the age doesn't really matter..how much spread it is on Earth..looking at gypsum on Mars..really excellent place to find ancient life.

*Operator, you may close us up. You may disconnect at this time*

Some of those who asked the questions: AP, Discovery Channel, Science Sentinel...

So, there you go, that's it....nothing "OMG"...But still, not a complete waste of time

[edit on 28/4/10 by Cybernet]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Nothing to see here!
Just listened to the whole thing and its mostly geared towards bacteria.
The search goes on but its interesting that its for the building blocks of life and how to identify where life has been and could be in the future.
Its either tunnel vision or they know the answer to the big question and just wont tell us.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybernet

zomg, the highlights are longer than I expected

(more than 2 words)

Nice one for doing that, it took more patience than I've got. I ended up playing with me dog as I was falling asleep listening to it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
so as far as the results for the missions is that they found fossils of bacteria or little microorganisms on earth. So mmm what is the point of sending ships to the space if we can search for the origin of life here on earth??

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hmm... Bad news.
Nothing change in Nasa policy.
Then other competitors on the horizon.
Maybe Russia, Japan, China or India they will be able to make the breakthrough.

Bye bye Nasa.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I must say I am a little disappointed, particularly with the Q&A..

I'm not one that was looking for Aliens or UFOs, or really any talk about intelligent life, but I was hoping for a little more on future missions and possibly something more than the hunt for water on Mars.

The fossils on Mars were of some interest.. but meh, it was NASA, so I didn't expect much detail on anything really.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks! Yeah, well..i somehow got into it and kept on typing, having it running in the background. Bottom line is - Mars and Phobos is very important to our future. Buzz was right§
BTW, what dog do you have? Don't tell me it's a Husky or I'll cry! I love huskys!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join