It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

98 ATS members and Counting...Australia "Out of Place"

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
i'm 60 years old and I still have my large globe that I got back in high school. when you can visually look at the ROUND earth, there is no conflict or misinterpretation pertaining to location of land masses.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Australia is located on the Indo-Australian plate and is moving north at approximately seven centimetres a year.

www.ga.gov.au...

Not sure if this is posted yet. Im in the last last time zone so don't raz me for just waking up.

7cm a year would take a while to be noticed though I think.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

PNG and Indonesia is also a part of that plate, so it would all be moving, not just Aust and NZ. The Pacific ring of fire is along the northern edge of PNG and Indonesia, and also pretty much where NZ sits, where the Australian plate meets the Asian plate. Besides, 7cm a year for the last 100 years is 70cm. Just shy of a metre. Not that much in terms of a land mass the size of Australia.

(Although I did notice my fireplace flue a little crooked last week....
)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't pay that much attention to maps but to hazard a guess I'd say I remember it more like "A"

Might just be that I'm not from the same timeline you guys were on.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Always been A

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
None of them posts from the opening post look correct anyway Australia is missing the point on QLD.

I take it they don't do much geographical studies in the US or UK schools.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I guess some people just dont get it.
If , for arguments sake , you were from another time line and you arrived at this one which had subtle differences to the time line you were originally from , then to the people that have always been here , everything is just as it was.

It's pointless demanding proof because all maps , photographs and any other documentation , all belong to this time line.

I get the hypothesis . I just don't know if different time lines exist , none of us do ,.

Just for the record . D is the map I remember from my childhood , but don't go reading too much into it !

edit on 27-4-2013 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Schools are not always responsible for what their pupils haven't learnt.
I still have the notebook recording all the information we were given about Australia, including a dozen or so maps of the continent.

edit on 27-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
"C"
looks correct to me. I have heard for many years when I was growing up that the world was shrinking. Maybe 98 people shrank out of their world and joined us. If so, welcome to ATS in this reality.

I think I could find more than 98 people asking young kids who would pick any or almost every country in the Southern hemisphere in the wrong place. Schools do not teach geography anymore I heard. That might be why one year Miss South Carolina suggested something like South Africa should help educated American school kids.

I heard a grown woman the other day with a professional degree say something like, oh the map has the names of the states so you don't have to look them up. I was thinking, I knew the name and location of every state in the US way back in elementary school. She doesn't?

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by amraks

I still have the notebook recording all the information we were given about Australia, including a dozen or so maps of the continent.

Yeah 98 people out how many forum members here didn't pay attention in class kinda statistics.

Really I have a few world maps black and white printouts some where from my schools days too.
Will have to sift threw it one day.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
What the what? Count me in as another person who recalls Australia being much further South.

1) In elementary school, my teacher(s) made a huge deal about how Australia and New Zealand were all alone out there by themselves to the south.

1a) A huge mystery was how the Aborigines made it to Australia since they would have had to travel a huge distance by primitive means. At current sea levels there are about 96 miles between the northern tip of AU and Papua New Guinea. Aboriginal migration occurred (40,000-50,000 years ago) in the middle of the Wisconsin glacial period (~10,000-100,000 years ago). Glacial conditions would mean much lower sea levels and it looks like only 35 miles of sea would have needed to be crossed.

1b) As a child, before I knew anything about what contributes to weather patterns, I used to wonder how the Australian outback was so dang hot since it was so far south.

2) Not more than 2 years ago, I scouted the northern coast of Australia using google earth to see if there were any sizable cities along the coast. I had heard that the weather was awful, so not many people lived there. I was interested in moving to Australia, but I didn't not really want to live in a large city. Anyway, Papua New Guinea was not within 100 miles of Australia at the time.

2b) During my scouting I was surprised to see just how close Tasmania was to Antarctica. It was not at south as the Southern tip of South America, but it much further than pictured on current maps.

By measuring on google earth, I would say the whole group Australia/New Zealand were about 500-600 miles south of the current position.

As far as Nelson Mandela goes, I recall he was assassinated sometime around 1993 may have been 1994 at or near his election, but I recall my third grade teacher explaining to us what happened and explaining what was going on in South Africa at the time (that would put it in 1993 or even 1992). Imagine my surprise when he came up in the news recently. Had you asked me before, I would have told you he was dead.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks

reply to post by amraks

Yeah 98 people out how many forum members here didn't pay attention in class kinda statistics.

Really I have a few world maps black and white printouts some where from my schools days too.

Just in case you missed the few posts before yours.......

If , for arguments sake , you were from another time line and you arrived at this one which had subtle differences to the time line you were originally from , then to the people that have always been here , everything is just as it was.

It's pointless demanding proof because all maps , photographs and any other documentation , all belong to this time line.

Make any sense ?????

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Rather than look for 'alternative timelines', or other esoteric reasons people have for the justification of 'facts' that are not so, why not look at the simplest and most obvious solution?

The human memory is not reliable.
edit on 27-4-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is one of the funniest threads I have read. Australia is where it has always been, I wouldn't try swimming to PNG even from Darwin. Thats a long long way. New Zealand is south east of the bottom of Victoria and New South wales border and again I wouldn't try swimming there, its also a along way. Three hours + by plane from Melbourne to Christchurch should give you some idea.
As for Nelson Mandelas death, he was incarcerated for his anti apartheid views in the mid 60's and spent 27 years
in jail. But is alive and well.
Now a running joke over here in Oz is that Americans often confuse Australia as being somewhere in Europe and that Kangaroos are like family pets, I think its more to do with the xenophobic nature of your news reporters and
school curriculum and how big the US is that you aren't taught much about other countries especially those so far away.
Also I think some cartographers trying to squeeze us in dont get the distances right. You've also gotta feel for poor old Tassie which has often been left off maps altogether, even by us here in Australia.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

There is nothing more soul destroying than casting pearls before swine .
All you get from a pig , is a grunt .

I doubt you will grasp it , but i think it's only fair to give you a go .

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yes I have to say, none of them look quite right for both countries, yes I am from Australia.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

the OP is joking right??

im Australian and none of those pics are right..

if any Aussies agreed with the OPer, they mustn't have any clue about geography, or they are aged 5..

yawn, yawn and yawn,,
edit on 27-4-2013 by thewhiteribbon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gideon70

reply to post by amraks

Just in case you missed the few posts before yours.......

Make any sense ?????

Where in my post did I ask for proof.

I understand the different paradox universe theory.
edit on 27-4-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thewhiteribbon

the OP is joking right??

if any Aussies agreed with the OPer, they mustn't have any clue about geography, or they are aged 5..

yawn, yawn and yawn,,

Agree with you those maps are stupidly wrong.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewhiteribbon

the OP is joking right??

yawn, yawn and yawn,,

Agree with you those maps are stupidly wrong.

that clip always makes me laugh.. too funny.. dont peope over seas study geography in school? my 11 yearold nephew would know more than they do..

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join