It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

98 ATS members and Counting...Australia "Out of Place"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I really want to start an ATS Geography Book Fund for our 98 challenged members. Who else can contribute?

I'll take ca$h, check, PayPal, or if you're one of the poor 98...the tuition money that was obviously not spent on secondary school/university!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'd like to point out that it's not merely a map position memory, at least in my case...I remember reading an article on the pangea theory that specifically mentioned Australia as an anomaly that didn't exactly fit the theory....because it was so isolated in the ocean by itself! Also a vague memory of the 2000 Australian Open where they discussed the long plane flight and the relative isolation of the continent. I mean, when you are surprised by something not being where you've always understood it to be, it's disconcerting...if I was just a clueless bumblehead wouldn't I have lots of examples of information disconnect? Wouldn't I also just assume that my memory was faulty and forget it? After all, if I'm that "challenged" wouldn't a fairly long life of being mostly wrong all the time convince me that I couldn't trust my own memories or perceptions?
The problem here, I think, at least in terms of relating this to others, is that people really do remember a different placement and it's impossible to prove that we are of sound mind. Or that we are not.
And then the fact that many members here use these forums as a chance to insult others and prove how clever and cute they can be....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

yeah, it is way more than the map....

There are whole collections of Art I created and had on the net, completely missing from my computer and all disks and the internet....married people who havent met in this timeline, people married to other people who are majorly well know couples even since highschool, went to the wedding, but apparently the wedding never happened here.....

The thing is ALL the maps are going to be the same here, NOT ONE MAP will have changed here, because if it is a different timeline, there won't BE an old map, because they didn't CHANGE here, WE changed to here!....duh!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
There is no change in the timeline.. really that explanation is incredibly egotistical.

"I remember Australia in the wrong place.. but it can't be me thats wrong but the entire continent.. as well as time and space itself."

Yes 98 members is alot but even though that is alot it is still far more likely that you all just suck at geography rather than you all being supermen with ESP powers enough to notice changes in the universe's timeline.

dodgy textbooks wouldn't have helped either.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

It's not at all like being a "superman" and the change surprised me...Do you not get it? A crazy big difference. Hard to not notice once you've seen it. Not an unwillingness to admit you were wrong about, say, the capital of Kansas or something similar, or a "sensitive" paranormal perception of the world's change, but a simple, unnerving, change that is obvious, strange, and right in your face.

I did imagine what I might think if someone said a similar thing about some change I haven't experienced and I am willing to admit that I may have a hard time buying, say, that Cuba was off the Virginia coastline in someone's memory. But I like to think I wouldn't be as rude or as certain of myself about it.

edit to elucidate

[edit on 30-4-2010 by joechip]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Snowi

B for me

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Scattykat

ok -assuming you claim to origionate from an alternate dimension where "B" is the allegedly correct map of australasia i have the ` standard questions `

1 - what is the principal agricultural export of NZ

2 - how do the aborigional inhabitants differ from the maori of this dimension

3 - who was the first european explorer - and when ?

edit to add

4 - what are the two principal crops of queensland , australia

5 - how do the australian aborigionies differe from the ones in this dimension

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Scattykat

ok -assuming you claim to origionate from an alternate dimension where "B" is the allegedly correct map of australasia i have the ` standard questions `

1 - what is the principal agricultural export of NZ

2 - how do the aborigional inhabitants differ from the maori of this dimension

3 - who was the first european explorer - and when ?

edit to add

4 - what are the two principal crops of queensland , australia

5 - how do the australian aborigionies differe from the ones in this dimension

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ignorant_ape]

1/ Sheep
2/ The Aborigine people are nomadic whereas Maori are settled which could be the same as in this dimension.
3/ Drake at the time of QE 1
4/ Mango and Watermelon
5/ They don't

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

for me Hawaii is in a whacked out spot too.....

Also, along the sunshine coast, they spent the majority of the 90's building a new highway, and we called little bits of the old highway, the "old road"...... well in this timeline there is only one tiny strip of new highway, so I get car sick again, and the trip takes 5 hours again, instead of the 4 it took from about 1996 on....so THAT really sucks...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I recall D. However I am not that far into denial. I think it's more likely a distortion of putting a sphere on a flat surface, so I blame bad maps. Coupled with a bad memory I think that explains it all for me. Although my wife and a couple of co-workers feel the same way. However one co-worker who is an avid risk player knows it's C.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't know about a timeline shift or anything, but there is obviously some kind of phenomenon occurring; maybe it IS bad memory or lack of geographical awareness. All I know is, and I consider myself fairly knowledgeable, I was blown away myself when I checked out the maps. I had the same feelings people have described, like "this can't be right." I, too, remember Australia as sitting all by itself with no other land masses nearby. I am not arrogant enough to presume that I couldn't be wrong; however, I do find it interesting that there are a number of folks who remember it so differently.

The only possible alternate solution I have come up with is that perhaps there were some textbooks and maps from 20 to 30 years ago that had it wrong? In any case, interesting thread.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i always remember/thought hawaii was more north than it is, and how odd it was that since they were so far north the weather was not colder - bad maps once again?

oh yea edit - Cicero, yes we have already figured out that a bunch of us got bad maps in school, most who notice this are between 28-38yrs. old so that makes sense - i think someone posted a link to the bad maps.

this is not a "timeline shift" but possibly a "merging" of the timelines where some people remember things differently, and when we try to explain we get called stupid or crazy as evidenced in this thread.....

[edit on 5/1/10 by I.C. Weiner]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It's easy for the "non" Timeline shifters/mergers to blame it on old maps or bad memory, but that is not the case.

Yesterday i went over to my school where i went as a child 7-13 years old and the maps there over Australia are exactly as they are now. Most of the classrooms had new maps, but they still had plenty of the old maps laying around.

This ain't no map "thing" nor "Bad memory" something has happend...but what...???

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
C is as close to it as I recall. Now I recall my trip to Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia..... If you pull up any credible map they are all where they belong.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Snowi

99 ATS members who do
not know their geography and only help prove that are schools are failing!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have an old globe, around 100 years old, and Australia is still positioned in the same spot modern map maps depict, although the shape was a bit off on the globe. This is an antique map supposedly.
Old Map of Australia

Or you can look at this one which is just bonkers
Even Older Map of Australia

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Snowi

Some one should notify, "urgently', Qantas, or Air New Zealand!!!

(Or any recent automotive buyer, with a GPS installed)!

I guess, since Australia has "moved' that EVERY airliner that has arrived has been only by good luck?

AND, every vehicle that uses GPS navigation hasn't noticed any discrepancies?

People! We livein the 21st century, for pity's sake!

Sheesh!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Map "E" looks right to me, and I got straight A's in Geography.

I'm shocked that so many people picked "C" Amazing! What's going on?

I wonder if it depends on what kind of school you went to? I went to a private school.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

Here....this might get everyone started onthe path to understanding....

It really, really is about the various ways that a SPHERICAL surface (the Earth) is mapped and represented in two dimensions....

(Don't they cover this in school, any more???)

www.nationalatlas.gov...

Also, research the term "mercatur projection", etc....

Glad that ATS can become the 'online free classroom'....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Maps that I remember from my school days always looked kinda like this one. Not exactly, but that's pretty close to how I remember it being. The way it's made makes Australia appear to be further away from everything else, even if it's not. So while I remember Australia being further from Indonesia and New Guinea, I'm remembering it from the maps perspective. Doesn't explain people remembering New Zealand in a different spot though I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join