It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ronald W. Reagan Dies - 1911~2004

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well this is kinda hard to describe. I know that he had a long life that most people can only imagine. He was a successful Actor a successful Governor and a successful president. He enjoyed a life that many of us would kill for.

History may remeber June 5, 2004 as the date of his death but, coming from someone who has had to deal with a relative stricken with Alheimers, Reagan died several years ago. All that was left was his body.

All I can say is that his family has my prayers.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He was not a bad president, he was one of our greatest presidents. I am sure he is at peace now, my heart goes to his surviving family.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What a national loss. Ronald Reagan was an awesome President.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Whether or not one agrees with his policies, this is not the time to discuss that.
He should be honored for the leadership he gave us and his courage.
As someone who deals with demetia daily, I think very highly of Nancy. Being a caretaker of an Alheimers patient is a terrible job. No number of nurses or help can take away that terrible loss of your loved one's mind.
God Bless the Reagans and rest in peace.
joey

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's a sad day for America.

Love him or hate him you can't deny he had his good effects on America and on the world.
Rest in peace.

p.s. How do you feel about ATSNN's coverage? This is our first big death coverage story.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Godspeed Mr. President
One of the true great President's of and in my lifetime.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
What!?!?!?!?!?! That poor man!!! Why the hell do people like him have to die!!! He's my favirote president!!

I so disagree, I feel happy for this man, I am sad for his people.

He is free from hell.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
He was the lasy US prez I acxtually liked. After him....well...nuf said.

The regan years were good. He did bring back national pride and self confidence, something we badly needed after Nam, Watergate, the Disco era, the Me generation, ect.

Infamous and fond moments of the regan years:

Assasasination attempt which he survived.
Release of iran hostages (note how quick the Iranians got rid of them as soon as they knew a Republican was getting elected....)
MTV starts
First human heart transplant sucessfully occurs
Star Wars becomes more than a trilogy sci fi flick
ET is a big hit
Michael jackson national Idol despite his chimps, Llama, and oxygen tanks
New Wave all the rage
War on Drugs suddenly made dope smoking hippies martyrs and guerilla warriors
We bombed Libya. Now THAT was cool.
We suddenly became familiar with crazy terrorists with funny hats.
Challenger Disaster
Stock market suffers Black Monday
AIDS becomes public knowledge
Children abductees make nation headlines
Crack an epidemic on the streets
Central American shadow wars peak
Iran Contra Scandal
The 1984 Elections
Suddenly, people payed attention if it was Made in America
Stuff made in Japan was no longer Jap Crap
Japanese kick our asses in Car market, 80's American cars total crap
Atari, Nintendo, Sega.........
Pac Man
a Polish Pope
His daughter in Playboy mag
Miami Vice
I hit puberty
Grenada
Those anti drug commercials featuring frying eggs..."this is your brain...this is your brain on drugs....any questions?" gave more people on drugs the munchies than they did suggest it was a good idea to quit....
Mullets and cherry red Cameros all the rage with the white trash crowd....and still are

Televangelists
For the first time in years, we could actually talk about Nam...
Rambo
Multiple Rocky sequels.....after Rocky 3, was waiting for rocky 4 where he kicked some Libyans ass......
Arnie....gets big...becomes physical fitness councilman for prez....who better to promote fitness? Much better than Richard Simmons, Clintons choice.............

Hell, i could go on and on. You get the picture.

RIP Ronnie.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
He definitely represented one of the most amazing era's in American history.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I totally disagreed with his economic ideas but he brought back national pride and that means alot.

Amen to that. He may not have been the best in economic policy, but after having a President with the likes of Nixon, and the way he boosted American morale, it means a lot to have had a President like him.

God bless you, Mr. Reagan.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
well, i am sad even though he was 93 years old. he was one of the greatest american presidents of all time.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I remeber the day he was shot, it also was a rainy day.I was buring my first dog when I heard the news..no wonder its raining all over amerca today..tears from heavan

love him or hate him....hes the only other pres thus far who desreves to be carved into mt rushmore..hope it happens

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
On policy, I agreed with Reagan on very little, especially his shadowy support of the Afghani Islamic militants (which was the nucleus of what would become al-Queda), his funding of the “Contra” terrorists in Nicaragua, his support of the fascist El Salvador regime, and his administration’s dealings with the Ayatollah Khomeinie’s radical regime in Iran. I have never considered him a good president, nor do I now.
On the other hand, Reagan was always a gentleman, even when before his most adamant critics, something sadly lacking in most of today’s politics. He had a real charm, much different from the vulgar swaggers of the current president that some folks call “charm”. I will remember him as a mediocre president, whose good came from his endeavors to end the Cold War, and for his charismatic character.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
How times have changed. Can you imagine what uproar there would be today if a politician were to utter some of the quotes he came up with (posted by Nerdling at the beginning of the thread)?

We're gonna miss ya, Gipper.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
To the man who made America stand, be happy and proud, I thank you, Mr. Reagan.

Forget politics. You were far more valuable than a victorious election. You told us to find who we really were. In the midst of crisis, you reminded us that we must make our lives worth every moment. You made America happy. You made life worth living again.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Aye - love or hate him. One cannot deny, he left big shoes to fill. Right wing or left wing, I don't think any after him have came close to filling them.

They called him "The Great Communicator" People felt like they knew him. More so than any President in my memory.

So long Mr. President, peace be with you and your's...

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
He Will be missed
, This guy ended the cold war he deserves alittle respect!

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Although I disagreed with Reagan on so many issues, I don't think I have ever respected a man more. He was the last of the great communicators who truly projected a "presidential" image.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Bleys]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that Ronald Reagan's passing is an end of an era at all. Reagan's election in 1980 was one of the seminal events in American politics of the 20th century, right up there with Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, and John Kennedy. Reagan ushered in a new era of sweeping change in political attitudes that hasn't really changed since he left office. If Reagan hadn't selected George Bush as his VP, it's likely that neither Bush nor his son would have become president in his footsteps.

Furthermore, even Clinton owes much to the Reagan era. After the trouncing of Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, the Democratic Leadership Council was formed as a centrist group that rejected the classic liberalism associated with the Democratic party since FDR. Bill Clinton was one of the founders of the DLC, and it was largely thanks to its more conservative views that Clinton was elected.

Although historians still argue about Reagan's role in the defeat of communism, it's hard to deny the role he played in defeating American liberalism for at least a generation...much to the dismay of Howard Dean! We still live in the era of the Reagan revolution to this day, and Ronald Reagan will surely be remembered as the architect of a major period of American political thought.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by aerospaceweb]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It was during the Reagan era that I first became "aware" of the
world of politics. I was a Democrat. I called him Ronnie "Ray-gun"

It was also During the his era that I began to look at the "other side"of things.

Not long after his Presidency, I re-registered Republican. So I could say that
he definitely had an effect on my life.

Goodbye RONALD WILSON REAGAN.

Oh, and Skadi_the_Evil_Elf,

I like that timeline stuff you posted...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join