It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ronald W. Reagan Dies - 1911~2004

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan has passed away peacefully in his home in California. Surrounded by his children and loyal wife Nancy he succumbed to Pneumonia related complications. He had alzheimers and was 93 years old.

'Life is just one grand sweet song, so start the music.'

He died at his home in California, according to a family friend, who initially disclosed the death on condition of anonymity. The friend said the family has turned to making funeral arrangements. A formal statement from the family was expected later.

In Paris, White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said President Bush was notified of Mr. Reagan's death in Paris at about 4:10 p.m., EDT, by White House chief of staff Andy Card.

The United States flag over the White House was lowered to half-staff within an hour.

Card learned of the death from Fred Ryan, Mr. Reagan's former California chief of staff, Buchan said.

Former US President Ronald Reagan's health has died, aged 93, after reports in recent days that his health had taken a turn for the worse.
He had suffered from Alzheimer's disease, and had not been seen in public for several years

Coverage from across the world
BBC Coverage
CNN Coverage
Fox News Coverage
MSNBC Coverage
Sky News Coverage
CBS News Coverage
ABC News Coverage
AP News Coverage

ATS & Related Coverage
REAGAN FUNERAL PLANS
HOW THE NEWS BROKE ACROSS THE WORLD

This is an ATSNN Special Report and will be updated continuosly.

Ronald Reagan led a long and fruitful life, we see this mirrorer in quotes famously attributed to him and some scathing ones about him.
Reagan Quotes:

The mad dog of the Middle East
- Ronald Reagan, on Colonel Gadaffi

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours, and recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his.
- Ronald Reagan

The signs of the Vietnam War protestors said "Make Love not War!" It didn't seem to me that they were capable of either.
- Ronald Reagan

We are especially not going to tolerate these attacks from outlaw states run by the strangest collection of misfits, Looney Tunes and squalid criminals since the advent of the Third Reich.
- Ronald Reagan, on the hijacking of a US plane in 1985

I know for a fact that Mr Reagan is not clear about the difference between the Medici and the Gucci. He knows that Nancy wears one.
- Gore Vidal, on Ronald Reagan

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
- Ronald Reagan

A triumph of the embalmers art.
- Gore Vidal, on Ronald Reagan

He has a chance to make somebody move over on Mount Rushmore. He's working for his place on the coins and the postage stamps.
- Henry Graff, on Ronald Reagan

In a disastrous fire in President Reagan's library both books were destroyed. And the real tragedy is that he hadn't finished coloring one.
- Jonathan Hunt, on Ronald Reagan

In the heat of a political lifetime, he innocently squirrels away tidbits of misinformation and then, sometimes years later, casually drops them into his public discourse, like gumballs in a quiche.
- Lucy Howard, on Ronald Reagan

People say satire is dead. It's not dead; it's alive and living in the White House. He makes a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float look ridiculous. I think he's slowly but surely regressing into movies again. In his mind he's looking at dailies, playing dailies over and over.
- Robin Williams, on Ronald Reagan

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
- Ronald Reagan

Reagan won because he ran against Jimmy Carter, if he'd run unopposed he would have lost.
- Mort Sahl, on Ronald Reagan

What makes him think a middle-aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics?
- Ronald Reagan, on Clint Eastwood running for mayor of Carmel

Compared to the Clintons, Reagan is living proof that a Republican with half a brain is better than a Democrat with two.
- P.J. O'Rourke, on Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan couldn't be here tonight, he's posing for the cover of 'Guns and Ammo'.
- Johnny Carson, on Ronald Reagan

He doesn't die his hair - he's just prematurely orange.
- Gerald Ford, on Ronald Reagan

He doesn't die his hair, he bleaches his face.
- Johnny Carson, on Ronald Reagan

He has a chance to make somebody move over on Mount Rushmore. He's working for his place on the coins and the postage stamps.
- Henry Graff, on Ronald Reagan

I believe that Ronald Reagan will someday make this country what it once was... an arctic wilderness.
- Steve Martin, on Ronald Reagan

I think Nancy does most of his talking; you'll notice that she never drinks water when Ronnie speaks.
- Robin Williams, on Ronald Reagan

I hear Reagan sleeps a lot; I think its good that we have a sleeping President - the more he sleeps, the safer we are.
- Arlo Guthrie, on Ronald Reagan

The youthful sparkle in his eyes is caused by his contact lenses, which he keeps highly polished.
- Sheila Graham, on Ronald Reagan

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.
- Ronald Reagan, said during a radio microphone test, 1984

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
- Ronald Reagan

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
- Ronald Reagan

Washington could not tell a lie; Nixon could not tell the truth; Reagan cannot tell the difference.
- Mort Sahl, on Ronald Reagan

[edit on 5-6-2004 by Nerdling]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 6-6-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[edit on 7-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Sad to see him go. He had a very long and successful life.

link   
What!?!?!?!?!?! That poor man!!! Why the hell do people like him have to die!!! He's my favirote president!!

link   
Sad to say it is the end of an era.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
1911-2004

Ronald Reagan has passed away peacefully in his home in california

details to come.

Ronald Regan dead at 93 (FoxNews)

Farewell, Ronnie.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
What!?!?!?!?!?! That poor man!!! Why the hell do people like him have to die!!! He's my favirote president!!

Come on people he was 93 years old. He had a long full life. Nothing to be sad about here.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yup, hes gone.

Bye bye Ronnie. Save a seat for Gorby in the afterlife.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by AD5673

Come on people he was 93 years old. He had a long full life. Nothing to be sad about here.

Excellent point. My grandfather died at the age of 92. I was sad to see him go, but I know he had lived his life, and it was time to rest.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Condolences to his family...but he had a good life

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I totally disagreed with his economic ideas but he brought back national pride and that means alot.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The US lost the greatest president next to Abe Lincoln.

Sad to see such a brillant man go. But at least he died peacefully and had a very long run in life.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I hope he is at peace, he was a huge icon in modern times and his presence on this Earth, missed. Even though I have disdain for Republicans. He did have a good life and a great love.

I am really sad actually, what a loss to our country. An era left with him and the Reagan years just a memory now.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Truly,an historically important character.

He fought and won a war that couldn't be won by military means and he won it using economics.

Many hated his policies at the time but few can deny the important role he played.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I had a feeling I would be reading this soon.. what a sad day..

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It is irony how easily people forget how bad president he was and now only the goodness comes out.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well he had a good innings.

I heard that in the last couple of years he had little left of his faculties anyway, unable to recognise his reletives and even his wife.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
No, no foul play here he was dying already. He has been death for many years.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A sad day for us, a good day for Reagan. I can truthfully say the last time I felt good about America was during his presidency!

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is something that should not come as a surprise to anyone. The man lived a long, productive life. Whether or not yo agreed with his policies, may he rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The best president in 100 years. God bless him.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join