It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, some concensus please.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
apology then i really thought that the op was someone else

but just a thing i want to add, you always focus on god powerful realisations as the creator glory, but you never admit that what you are is simply individuals like animals run by nature all your life, and that is your only objective reality fact as existing enjoying knowing the circulation of powers around justifying a whole life creation of god, but not you, whatever you get a chance to play for some moments as the movies you watch

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

WOW, what a amazing post, has to be one of the best on the subject I have ever read, with that said, before I read your post I was thinking, no answer to an unbeliever will suffice.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by soul_of_light

you're unlikely to get a decent answer from any catholic/christian on this forum...most cant look past their own nose and dont even recognize islam/judaism etc is basically the same religion and same "God",

I think the Christians on this forum are pretty well informed,

For that matter maybe you cannot look past your own nose either.

Edited to add I have studied and practiced other religion,

Once I was in a ministers office, his library was extensive on other religions, I also cleaned the house of another pastor, wow, what an eye opener, she had many books on Buddhism, and practiced contemplative prayer, Christianity isn't all hell and damnation it keeps evolving.

[edit on 113131p://bFriday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by imans

Two posts? Yes. Clear? NO!!!!!!!!!! You are a poet imans, not a clear debater!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by assasinforfather

that is your perspective of my posts not what they are objectively, and i can see clearly what they are objectively clarity itself as living word
it doesnt matter what you say there i am an individual too so we are one against one in saying what i say
keep the poets words to yourself world there is no poetry in mine berk sorry i really hate poets and poetry

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Although I have been associated with Christianity for many years, I can say that I have known many whom I felt over-spiritualized things. (And may I also say to those who identify themselves as a non-Christian that there are many, many, many flavors of Christianity and they are not all alike. Some are rather diametrically opposed to each other.)

My belief: God is a being who exists in a dimension higher than our own 3 or 4 dimensions. Humans can't comprehend Him in His entirety because of the limitation of our few dimensions.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm an atheist also, but my definition of God is "The Creator" if the universe.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The "God" of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition is an old god from the pantheon of the Levant, most well known as the "Canaanite Religion". El, the name of the god, eventually came to be the dominant cult of the local tribes, his sons were referred to as the Elohim, a plural word, found in the Bible but explained away by scholars as a singular term.

However, I do believe most "religious" people are not as well educated about their own religion as they would otherwise have us believe. I think their concept of "God" is a vague concept of a father figure/creator who looks down on them specifically and personally. Basically, they have created their own ego-centric concept of God to fill the vast emptiness felt by people living a very worldly way of life.

I don't, personally, believe in a "God" as much as I believe in the divine perfection of the universe, the fact that everything, down to the smallest atom, is a part of the greater whole and has a certain purpose in the divine equation.

Then again, I don't really refer to myself as "christian" so perhaps you're not interested in my view of "God"

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Regent Leo

The first is highly refutable, as the highest conceivable being is something that is consciousness dependent, thus making a the deity consciousness dependent. It also varies from person to person. The highest conceivable being to me is not the highest conceivable being to you. For me the highest conceivable being would have traits that are incompatible with things we know to be true about the world (namely it would prevent infectious diseases and other such unnecessary problems).

And the ontological argument is probably the most ridiculous philosophical argument I've ever heard...it also means that the perfect sandwich exists. The ontological argument isn't exactly held in high regard in philosophical circles.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Jesus said to the woman at the well that God is "spirit and truth", and again to Niccodemus that a person must be born again from above in "spirit". God has also been referred to as light and love, and that God is both innerent and transcendant.

Don't know if that helps..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

The Creator. That which is not the Universe, but the originator of the Universe. ("God and the Universe are the same thing" is a different religion)

wow ...ok so I guess omnipresence s out of the picture.......

I'm a Christian and see God and all things as One Omnipresent thing .........

Jokei ...good luck with this thread ...there is soooo many flavors of Christians, theories, views ideas.....

I think if you reword the thread to "CHristians who have experienced God ...concensus please....."

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

post by DISRAELI

The Creator. That which is not the Universe, but the originator of the Universe. ("God and the Universe are the same thing" is a different religion)

wow ...ok so I guess omnipresence s out of the picture.......

No, it was by no means my intention to exclude omnipresence.
I was just trying to distinguish between the traditional Christian philosophy of God, which is what I'm trying to express in my own jargon, and the "Our-universe-is-God-and-we-are-all-part-of-God" attitude of New Age monism.
Yes, God is omnipresent in the sense of, say,Augustine; nothing can exist without God's involvement.
Nevertheless, there is a distinction between the Creator-God and the Creation. Yes?

PS Can I commend to you the expanded version of that definition a little further down that first page?

edit on 1-2-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Yes, God is omnipresent in the sense of, say,Augustine; nothing can exist without God's involvement. Nevertheless, there is a distinction between the Creator-God and the Creation. Yes?

Im at a place right now where I have seen that our own minds are the cause of distinction between God and creation ......still working on this one..... I have seen the inherently we and God and all things are One .....have had glimpses of this ....and thats coming from being a Christian Mystic ...its actually quite mystical ..that I can be me and yet I am not me....

PS Can I commend to you the expanded version of that definition a little further down that first page?

I dont know if I can do that....there are sooo many denominations it would take pages to break down..... I just know from my own path I ended up being a Christian Mystic looking for Union with God, Christhood, theosis and deification .....Im just now in the last few years or so approaching Union and seeing how Christhood is possible ...

From my perspective I have seen how much of Christianity has twisted the original meanings of Christ and possibility of Christhood ...... wouldn't really want to answer much right now ...but definitely feel called to write a book on these exact subjects and how Christianity ties into Nonduality....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

I dont know if I can do that....there are sooo many denominations it would take pages to break down.....

I detect a slight misunderstanding here.
I wasn't asking you to expand the definition yourself.
I was inviting you to take a look at my own expanded version which is to be found a couple of posts below the one you originally quoted.
Also on my profile, if that's quicker.

Edit; Here-www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2-2-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join