It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Noah's Ark Been Found on Turkish Mountaintop?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So when there is no geological evidence for a worldwide flood and there isn't evidence for exodus you think that's ok? I mean it reads like a myth. What's wrong with it being a myth?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

All we know is that there is a claim that the wood was carbon dated. There is a claim that this wood was carried up the mountain and the story is a fake. To be clear this is probably the 8th or 9th site on the mountain.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SKUNK2

No not thread fail, you failed to do your home work, but don't worry so did every one else who agreed with you. And so this post is directed to those like yourself, and not directly towards you, personally.

Watched this on the Television, it was an outstanding show and corrected the dire misconceptions an overly large majority of people seem to have.

I suggest people at least try, it goes a long ways to show your character, when you care enough to try instead of meandering along with the rest of the sheeple.

Working Replica of Noah's Ark Opened In SCHAGEN, Netherlands.

The massive central door in the side of Noah's Ark was opened for the first crowd of curious townsfolk to behold the wonder. Of course, it's only a replica of the biblical Ark , built by Dutch Creationist Johan Huibers as a testament to his faith in the literal truth of the Bible. The ark is 150 cubits long, 30 cubits high and 20 cubits wide. That's two-thirds the length of a football field and as high as a three-story house. Life-size models of giraffes, elephants, lions, crocodiles, zebras, bison and other animals greet visitors as they arrive in the main hold. A contractor by trade, Huibers built the ark of cedar and pine. Biblical scholars debate exactly what the wood used by Noah would have been.

Man Builds Noahʼs Ark to Exact Scale Given in Bible

[edit on 2-5-2010 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

That is a very impressive looking boat but this guy has just got it resting in a calm harbour filled with model animals. The conditions of a 40 day catastrophic flood would probably be turbulent to say the least. This is not even considering the huge amount of dung that the animals would produce and their likely restlessness. Not a pleasent or particularly practical scenario for an all powerful god to initiate.

Is the flood story a literal telling of events and is this wooden structure found in Turkey the actual biblical arc, I would say no.

Is the flood story a non literal retelling of some ancient truth that will never be confirmed through archaeology, quite possibly. Who could know 100% either way, it would be quite arrogant to say so.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

According to the wikipedia he built it half size.
Johan's Ark - wikipedia

Johan's Ark or Ark van Johan is a half-length model of Noah's Ark built by Dutch creationist Johan Huibers. The replica is half the length of that given in the Bible

The boat was built out of steel and sheathed in wood. Not quite authentic.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by stereologist]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

No, no, no. It was 40 days of rain and then a 300 day float.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I'm just saying if it happened, the whole Ark and Flood event, my opinion is that things were far more advanced in terms of technology and science.

Global mythology doesn't exactly say that, but it does portray a golden age of human civilzation in various myths that humanity falls from as the disaster wipes out civilization.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kr0ss
reply to post by 23432

This means that we're all descendants of 13 to 87 people with the same beliefs, all from the same region and likely with the same genetic attributes?

If you believe that Noah lived , then , yes .

As for genetic angle , uhm , I do not know but will look into it . Highly unlikely to be all Eurasians .

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I'll hold my opinion until more experts have had a chance to view and explore this new discovery.

There are flood stories in many cultures. However, I don't believe that the world was covered to the point that a boat would end up at the 13,000 foot lever of a mountain. Just my 2 cents worth.

I for one would not trust any Scientist or Acedemic at this point. It would only give them time to match their findings to todays bible. The ark itself was spoken of in different cultures that predate the Hebrew bible.

If the arc was found then nobody (the public) would be allowed near it for independent study. (Wow that seems to be happening right now) They would not be able to handle the public outcry if the true age was determined to be older than 5000 years. History would need to be rewritten, and they sure aren't going to do that.

Being that we ourselves have not gone thru a pole shift who is to say how big a wave or how much water would cover the landmasses?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by randyvs

So when there is no geological evidence for a worldwide flood and there isn't evidence for exodus you think that's ok? I mean it reads like a myth. What's wrong with it being a myth?

That's because the flood was NOT worldwide, it was actually local, restricted only to Noah's people. As stated in Qur'an, which corrected many mistakes in the bible.
Basically, the flood did happen, a very long time ago, long before Torah was revealed.
In Torah, just like in the Qur'an this was also revealed correctly. But the jewish priests LOST the original Torah, and only had maybe parts of it. They then supplemented this with TALES and MYTHS they gathered around.
Thus the misconceptions.

This is very visible in the story of Genesis, where God creates the universe in 6 days and then RESTS on the seventh day. The rabbis ANTROPOMORPHIZED God - relying on stories and myths from the region, mixing pagan beliefs with original Revelations of God.
In contrast to this, when Qur'an was revealed, look at how God contrasted this:

We have indeed created the heavens and the earth and all that is between them in six aeons, and no weariness could ever touch Us.
(Qur'an 50:38)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

So why don't we see devices from that time period that are advanced?
Where are all of the devices from this age? Why are the older sites without plows, wheels, and metals?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Pole shifts have not occurred in 200 million years. One may have happened 800 million years ago, and that was slow. It took millions of years.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by skajkingdom

So if the flood is a local event, then how do you account for people looking at the 13,000 foot mark on a mountain? How do you account for the boat traveling from Mesopotamia to Turkey?

You have provided another creation account from the Qur'an which changes the time scale, but this does not reflect on the flood story. Do you have more information to report about the flood?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There is another statement from Randall Price on the expedition that claims to have found wood on Ararat.

Christian Archaeologist Casts Further Doubt on Ark 'Discovery'

Price had planned to check out the latest site in 2008 but did not get to for reasons not clearly reported.

“During that expedition, the guide … who claimed to have found the Ark, was constantly drunk and after one month sitting in a hotel waiting, the expedition never happened,” he informed ministry supporters.

Though many have concluded from Price’s leaked e-mail that the Christian archaeologist believes the Kurdish guide and his partners were merely extorting money from the Chinese evangelical Christians belonging to NAMI, the ministry leader stopped short of affirming the conclusion, saying only that he believes that the greater the claim, the greater the evidence needs to be to support it.

On another note, Price had informed supporters in his e-mail that he plans to check out another site this summer with a man who has climbed Mount Ararat 33 times and claims to know the location of a piece of the Ark.

“Last year we had a good expedition to a higher site (the satellite site) and this summer we will excavate the shepherd’s site and have every reason to expect success,” he reported.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by daz__

The Hebrew story of Noah is predated by the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh. The story itself was inspired by a Sumerian who passed on the story to the Hebrew. Abraham came from the Sumerian city of Ur where the first tablets depicting the flood story were found. If we were to date the story using the Hebrew tradition it wouldn't go back far enough. If there was ever a physical boat it is long gone due to geological changes and exposure to the elements over at LEAST a 13,000 year period.

Remember to the Sumerians the Epic was a historical account.

Many people simply do not want to make that connection.

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

So why don't we see devices from that time period that are advanced?
Where are all of the devices from this age? Why are the older sites without plows, wheels, and metals?

I have two theories for that.

1. Advanced human civilization would not have been widespread, being isolated to a few city states and/or islands.

2. What materials, if they survived decay and corrosion, they did use would have been recycled by future civilizations.

Advanced doesn't mean they had to use steel, fossil fuels or plastic. My personal feeling is that most of their materials would of been based around ceramics and possibly aerogels.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Your claim 1 is that the advanced society was so rare that it can't be found. On the other hand lots of people knew about it and passed the existence of that advanced society along. That appears to be a contradiction. Do rare you can't find it, yet ancient people with limited resources did find it.

For claim 2, ceramics last a long time. Why don't we find advanced ancient ceramic devices?

There is no evidence for an ancient advanced society. We see societies reinventing all sorts of basic things such as the wheel and plow.

Once again stories are stories.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

They arn't claims. Just ideas I'm throwing out there.

Actual plows go back at least to the 6th millenium BC.

We honestly don't know if people needed agriculture during the Ice Age.
My guess is that a city state at that time may not even need agriculture.

If a city state made ceramic devices, they could have easily been recycled or still lost.

Look at the antikythera mechanism, we have only found one of them and it was only found just over 100 years ago. The Baghdad batteries are another example of a single discovery that has forced us to rethink the classical era. Both of those artifacts are a little over 2000 years old.

Now imagine artifacts anywhere from 7000 to 14000 years old.

Once again ideas are just ideas.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You called them theories. So you meant guesses. So you're not claiming these ideas but tossing out ideas to be discussed. DO y ou have any evidence for an ice age city state or city or civilization?

Why are you insisting on ceramics when your statements apply to metals and plastics as well.

I think the antikythera mechanism is a good example. It cam e from a known civilization that was advanced for its time, but not as advanced as later civilizations. That's one device and hardly indicates that anything about the people that made it were as advanced as us. The Baghdad battery as it is sometimes called is hardly a complicated device and comes from a known culture.

So now you say imagine if we found something from 7000 to 14000 years ago. Well? Where is it? Where is the culture? Where is anything from this hypothetical society?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

A theory is a speculative contemplation or prospect, so yes they could be called guesses or ideas.

Trying to find something from a 7000 to 14000 year old city state that may or may not be underwater would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, especially if its at the bottom of the Black Sea.

On the other hand I think there are plenty of things out there left to discover.

If people didn't try to discover things simply because they thought they were impossible, we would not be where we are today. So I can't just dismiss something out of hand, evidence or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join