It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano erupts in Guatemala

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Trust your instinct and not someones elses ability to create grafs and charts.

We live in "Novel" times.

Question to those that quote cycles as a safe answer ?

How many EQs in the cycle have led to the US buying sovereingty of the landmass affected.

How many diseases have led to an attempt at vaccinating the population of the planet we live on?

How many times has their been a blanket ban on flying caused by a volcanic eruption?

How many times has there been examples of the " Norway Spiral"?

Cycles? thats a load of BS, your only kidding yourself if you think things are normal, cyclical or average.

Stop denying and wake up to the smell of change affecting this dear planet that we are honoured to walk on, please.

Respects

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Of course it can be normal, but also it can be devastating for humans. A huge meteor hit on earth would be totally normal (happened in the past), but humanity would not survive it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I'm hoping these recent Volvanoes havn't been offset by something manmade i.e an experiment of some kind which set off a volcanic eruption!

There is a possible world war on the horizon and maybe this is a test to see how we'd cope if things were bought to a standstill.

First Europe... now Central America...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
I love graphs, they can say what you want them to say.

There are more volcanoes erupting than ever before in one graph and the next contradicts it.

What they don't tell you is that sometimes they may count under water eruptions and sometimes they don't

Sometimes they count earthquakes and after shocks as a whole and other times they don't count the after shocks.

Graphs are only used to get grants for more research from one group and then used by another group to contradict you and get the grants instead.

That is why the only stats I believe in are MLB,NBA, and NFL. You can't manipulate those stats.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

How many diseases have led to an attempt at vaccinating the population of the planet we live on?

he first vaccine-preventable disease targeted for eradication was smallpox. The World Health Organization (WHO) coordinated the global effort to eradicate this disease. The last naturally occurring case of smallpox occurred in Somalia in 1977.

In 1988, the governing body of WHO targeted polio for eradication by the year 2000. Although the target was missed, eradication is very close. The next eradication target would most likely be measles, which has declined since the introduction of measles vaccination in 1963.

Source: Wikipedia

How many times has their been a blanket ban on flying caused by a volcanic eruption?

Not entirely sure why you say blanket ban - I was able to fly around my area of the world, as were many, many others. It just so happens this volcano disrupted a major aviation hub.

Anyway, many times in aviation history have volcanoes disrupted flights - although due to their less busy routes they rarely made world news. For instance:

news.google.co.nz...,5118319&dq=volcano+flight+disruption&hl=en

nl.newsbank.com... _direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date
&s_trackval=GooglePM

news.google.co.nz...,234854&dq=volcano+stops+flights&hl=en

[edit on 28-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

here we go.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

and now we get there a little closer.

beside the hording of aviation fuel for military ,heres another angle or is it angel.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 4/28/2010 by dashar]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I believe the Smithsonian. (They provide the volcano overlay for Google Earth)

At least 20 volcanoes will probably be erupting as you read these words (Italy's Stromboli, for example, has been erupting for more than a thousand years); roughly 60 erupted each year through the 1990s; 154 in the full decade 1990-1999; about 550 have had historically documented eruptions; about 1300 (and perhaps more than 1500) have erupted in the Holocene (past 10,000 years); and some estimates of young seafloor volcanoes exceed a million. Because dormant intervals between major eruptions at a single volcano may last hundreds to thousands of years, dwarfing the relatively short historical record in many regions, it is misleading to restrict usage of "active volcano" to recorded human memories: we prefer to add another identifying word (e.g. "historically active" or "Holocene volcano").

Source

As stated by others, there is nothing unusual going on at present in the world of earthquakes and volcanoes. Can't comment about any other areas however!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks.. I never realized there are always about 20 active volcanoes. I guess the ones that get noticed are destructive or erupt a lot of ash. About the earthquakes.. I know there are a lot of earthquakes every year, but I've calculated that this year is about 30% more than average.

Here is my spreadsheet.. I need to update as there has been quit a few 6+ and one 7.2 since my last update.

morpheastruth.webs.com...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

Question to those that quote cycles as a safe answer ?

How many EQs in the cycle have led to the US buying sovereingty of the landmass affected.

None as far as I am aware that can be proven beyond speculation.

Three or four and rightly so

Never ever, not even once.

How many times has there been examples of the " Norway Spiral"?

Maybe one, maybe several. And your point is?

Cycles? thats a load of BS, your only kidding yourself if you think things are normal, cyclical or average.

Your reasoning being what, when these cycles are proven?

• Volcanoes erupt - this has always been so and at any given time there may be more or less than the average, but there is still an average.

• Earthquakes happen - this has always been so and there is no evidence that the intensity is getting stronger. In fact currently activity is a little less than in some years.

• The media love a disaster and since they are not allowed to report on the clandestine activities of the PTB they wind everyone up with fabricated tales about eruptions (Current Katla stories)

• Everything is on an endless cycle including the fact that you and I will die, and the world will not notice. There are ups and there downs but while the planet keeps spinning there will be cycles.

reply to post by Morpheas

I will come back to you on that one when I have had a look at your figures, but very quickly - we are nearly half way through the year. Double all of this years figures is not going to come to 2007 levels. Did you hear anyone moaning about the increase in quake activity in 2007?

I am adding it to this post as it is still the last

If we take the base line for your stats as 5.0, then what we need to look at is the strength of the quakes not the number. The number is meaningless.

Using 5.0 as the base and assuming each band to be the top figure in the band, then we get this: (This is not 100% accurate since there is a difference for all quakes in the band but we can't go back and calc each quake individually.)

5.9 22 x a 5.0
6.9 708 x a 5.0
7.9 222387 x a 5.0
8.9 707546 x a 5.0

This gives us a ranking based on strength in years as follows with the second set being the ranking based on number in years:

Strength Year Number Year
316036 2008 1341 2002
326657 2002 1358 2003
976142 2005 1361 2001
1057742 2003 1505 2000
1060844 2000 1672 2004
1081299 2001 1844 2005
1116054 2009 1865 2006
1661411 2006 1913 2009
1772552 2004 1948 2008
2345696 2010 2270 2007
3200742 2007 2402 2010

So whilst as things are going at present 2010 may be up there near the top in total strength, it is still not more than 2007 on my extrapolation which assumes that 7/12 of the year is still to come.

In fact you could say that if it does that then 2010 will end up with 26% less intensity of quakes than 2007.

There's lies, damned lies and then there's statistics.

[edit on 28/5/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteblack

smaller earthquakes are disappearing which aren't good news. that means quakes will be more devastating. we'll see more 9.0+ in the future.

I have to say that you are incorrect there. I have an email from USGS because I asked them the question as to why this was happening. The response was that since they are now only listing 4.5 quakes and above for areas outside the US the number of smaller quakes has dropped

Apparently this was because of the quality of information they were getting.

The exact text from the email was:

The value for "no magnitude" earthquakes is probably decreasing because, since 2009,
the USGS National Earthquake Information Center no longer locates earthquakes smaller
than magnitude 4.5 outside the United States, unless we receive specific information
that the earthquake was felt or caused damage. This eliminates many small earthquakes
for which a magnitude cannot be determined.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Guatemala Volcano erupts. Apparetently this one is a very active volcano...

Video

in.video.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
News, pictures and video of this event HERE and HERE

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
More videos of this event:

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join