It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano erupts in Guatemala

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

THE Santiaguito volcano showered sand and ash on Monday over a large area of western Guatemala in an "unusual"' and "violent"' eruption, the national seismological institute said.

The ash plume spread across six provinces, raising fears of damage to crops, the institute said, while classes were suspended at schools in three provinces.

The volcanic activity propelled gray ash more than 8300m into the air, and Conred advised civil aviation authorities to ban flying within 15km of the volcano.

Santiaguito's worst eruption occurred in 1929 when 2500 people were killed.

tack another volcano on the board... is this happening more often? be honest...

______beforeitsnews/story/36978/Volcano_erupts_in_Guatemala_4_27_2010.html ...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Post the source please...
2nd

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Omnis Vestri Substructio Es Servus Ad Nobis must be real indeed!
2nd

[edit on 4/27/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Heres a link

news.smh.com.au...

The Santiaguito volcano showered sand and ash on Monday over a large area of western Guatemala in an "unusual" and "violent" display, the national seismological institute said.

The institute said winds were carrying the ash in a northeasterly direction from the 2,500 metre (7,500 foot) high volcano in the province of Quetzaltenango, 206 kilometres west of the capital

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
And the USGS will say "Yep, nothing wrong here. It's completely normal for more than 10 6.9 + earthquakes, and volcanoes to erupt in the span of 4 months. Go back to bed America."

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
there is definately something brewing mother earth is not happy and she warning us in many obvious ways we should spend less time trying to disprove the obvious.

Be Well

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

Definatly agree !! Its telling us something..

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

It IS nothing special. Earth has around 120 quakes per year with 6.0-6.9 and around 18 with 7.0 to 7.9 and earth had years like 1944 with 40 earthquakes stronger than 7.0

And seeing that all natural disaster are cyclical, its normal that a bunch of them happen. It's just the time and i guess that the strong earthquakes just waked up some volcanoes.

I hate people who cry wolf just because they're totally clueless.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I hope Mother Nature will stop telling and will do something instead. People don't believe in talks - they believe in force. I say - let them have the force of the nature in their faces. Hard lessons are always learned in hard ways.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I thought there was only on average 2-3 erupting volcanoes per year. Average.

Why are there now around a dozen + volcanoes erupting?

Please explain. I need a top expert like you to explain all of this to me.

Thanks. I won't hold my breath though...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

Edit to add : I found many conflicting sources on this subject.

One says 2-3 average eruptions a year. This other source says 60 eruptions a year (which seems improbable), and yet another says 30-40 eruptions per year.

So I really don't believe any sources anymore. I'll just forget about this subject since everyone disagrees constantly and obviously some people are making up fake charts (otherwise they would all agree). The fake chart creation stuff is starting to really tick me off....

[edit on 27-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm sorry to put a damper on all this doom and gloom, but everyone is freakig out over the recent earthquakes and volcano's but this is part of earths cycles. It's just a more active year. If mother nature or God or the universe is trying to tell us something then my response to him/her/it would be to speak louder! Because what's going on now is hardly huge! Like I told one of my christian cousins the other day on Facebook while she was spewing bible quotes and end-time drivel, When California falls into the ocean or an event similar then I'll start to worry! Sorry to rant, I'm done now.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

There are many volcanoes a year that erupt that you hear about, I would say 40+ a year is a safe guess.. some being lava flowing, but many just explosive..

Edit to clarify that there are many volcanoes a year that erupt that you don't hear about.. left that don't out.. very important..

[edit on 27-4-2010 by broahes]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Everyone should get familiar with RSOE EDIS site. I have been following it for a couple of years. There are ongoing eruptions around the world at all times. This is nothing new. The press coverage is new, and it began with the Earthquake in Haiti and then Chile. The MSM / AP / Reuters are the problem. They find a subject that is popular and they run it in the ground. Kind of like Top 40 radio stations. They take decent songs and play them until you can't stand a word of it.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Currently there are about 40 volcanoes listed with recent eruptions. Every now and then you will notice that the status changes from "eruption" to "erupting." Sometimes there are even photos.

There are literally hundreds of Earthquakes everyday.

Follow the site, and you will soon become accustomed to the press overreacting to some things and completely ignoring others. (Like the Anthrax attack on a US Embassy last summer that never made the news.)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Our mother planet "seems" a little bit irritable lately, regardless of the skewed statistics.

Either way who the hell really knows. You think you know? You don't, I don't. Just saying time will tell and we'll see if it gets really bad. That is definite...

However, when something big happens like yellowstone erupting or cali falling into the ocean I'm sticking with "this is not normal activity" 100%.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by DocEmrick

It IS nothing special. Earth has around 120 quakes per year with 6.0-6.9 and around 18 with 7.0 to 7.9 and earth had years like 1944 with 40 earthquakes stronger than 7.0

I think one reason for the gloom and doom speculations are because for the first time in several years there are a large number of deaths stemming from Earth Quake activity. Which means the quakes are getting national MSM attention Which in turn has led to a greater number of people taking an interest in our worlds natural cycles.

According to USGS facts and statistics page (earthquake.usgs.gov...) we have had 224,710 deaths so far this year. That is a lot for only a four month period. The last time so many deaths occurred due to Earth Quakes was in 2004 (228,802 deaths for the whole year). To have two years in recent memory with large mortality rates tends to wake the public up to what is going on in the world. The fact that it is a cyclical occurrence will not make much of a difference to most folks.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolftotem

Just to add to that.. in 2007 there were 4 8.0+, but only around 700 deaths..

and in 2007, there wasn't near as much doom and gloom, despite the doubling of the most powerful class of quakes.

Good post.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for the site information. I am new to following Earth Quake and Eruption data so this will be very helpful.

As stated in my last post, I am in total agreement with the MSM sensationalism of the recent quakes which, I believe, is more due to the loss of life that accompanied these events than any thing else. I guess the years we don't have high mortality rates should be counted as "lucky" years. It means the stronger EQs did not hit highly populated areas.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crossfate
Our mother planet "seems" a little bit irritable lately, regardless of the skewed statistics.

Either way who the hell really knows. You think you know? You don't, I don't. Just saying time will tell and we'll see if it gets really bad. That is definite...

However, when something big happens like yellowstone erupting or cali falling into the ocean I'm sticking with "this is not normal activity" 100%.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Crossfate]

Even if those things happen, what is not "normal" about it? We have all known for years that eventually California will separate from the rest of the Continent. We all know that the Yellowstone Caldera is overdue for a cyclical eruption. Those things are indeed "normal."

Even if a nearby Star explodes, we know that there are billions of stars, and that they die. So that would be a "normal" occurence albeit it frightening or even devastating.

Sorry, but I can't buy the idea that 100 or 1000 years of decent recorded human history is sufficient for us to decide what is normal or abnormal on Earth or within the Universe? We don't even understand our own living species, we can't get along with other humans, we haven't explored the depths of the Oceans, our Weather forecasting is very unreliable, and yet we are supposed to know what type of geological activity is "normal?"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Yep, completely normal. Seismic activity in the span of 4 months like this. We see it every year, that's why it's obviously been in the news before.

Natural disasters, cyclical?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

great site,

thanks for flagging it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join