It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court: Wal-Mart to face massive class-action suit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Court: Wal-Mart to face massive class-action suit

www.mediacomtoday.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday exposed Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to billions of dollars in legal damages when it ruled a massive class action lawsuit alleging gender discrimination over pay for female workers can go to trial.

In its 6-5 ruling, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals said the world's largest private employer will have to face charges that it pays women less than men for the same jobs and that female employees receive fewer promotions and have to wait longer for those promotions than male counterparts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.walmartclass.com
walmartwatch.com
www.losangelesemploymentlawyerblog.com
abcnews.go.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
"All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart
Is Wal-Mart good or bad for us?
The Wal mart scam

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Wal mart been targeted once again, as the biggest nations employer after the government they are now charged with underpaying females in the workforce.

Before they had to deal with the illegal immigrants claims, then with the insurance blunder claims, age discrimination, minorities and now gender.

I guess the bigger you get the more chances to get sue for something.

www.mediacomtoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I guess the bigger you get the more chances to get sue for something.

Or, perhaps, the bigger you are, the more you expect to get away with.

Walmart is a great slayer of the middle class. Send jobs overseas, bring in cheap product that the folks that once had good jobs can afford. But...the disparity between the richest and the poorest keeps getting larger. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Town cores that have supported retail for generations are suddenly empty as people head to the fringes to take advantage of Walmart's buying power...cuz with the jobs gone, they have to make every penny (or food stamp) work.

I don't weep for Walmart...not at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Like I said in another thread related to Wal-mart, I will see the downfall of the retailer giant during my lifetime.

I agree that when they cemented the status of biggest employer they are also to be considered too big to fail so will they get tax payer money for the loses during the law sues pay off? I wonder . . .

[edit on 27-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The conspiracy of WalMart. I believe every employee wears a hidden camera. The photos of customers are then posted on people of WalMart web sites. These people are then tracked via debit or credit card and will be the first of us to be placed in FEMA labor camps. Then again, I could be wrong but does anyone have a better conspiracy? Would love to hear them.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. Women tend to be the caretakers, even when working. They tend to need to take time off for drs. appts and schools. It was the reason that women were discriminated against in the first place. If you got pregnant, you were out of a job.

Wal mart uses Carnegie-Mellon type tactics of business, if it were not for laws, I can only imagine what they would do to a community.

I often wonder what wal-mart would pay if there wasn't a minimum wage.

My state actually tried to press a law that any company that made a certain amount that didn't provide adequate healthcare coverage was fined.

there was only one target that fit the criteria..wal mart.
Because they don't offer it, and they pay little enough so that most of their employees have to get medical asistance from the state.
That is how walmart saves money, and doesn't have to provide coverage.

I don't weep for wal mart either.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Walmart was also one of the biggest corporation lobbying for health care reform.

Because it would save them money as their employees will fall in the poverty level and would not be able to afford private insurance.

They can then come around and make profits creating their own insurance to cover the employees with government subsidies.

They have been charge with all kind of law sues but we don't get to see the results of all those law sues and how much people have won any retributions and how much.

I think they settle before court most of the time, I mean people in need will go with what is offered rather than be bind to court rulings and appearance for years.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have always seen wal-mart as a retailer for the underclass. They are too ignorant to know that its harming their community and I doubt they even care. I'm EXCITED to see more and more people take my side and say no to shopping or even spending a penny at wal-mart.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Havent stepped foot in a Walmart in over a year, and when I did go last time it was for something that couldnt be found anywhere else in my tiny town.

Yeah walmart sucks, but even if everyone stopped going the first thing they would do would be to fire the workers, and as the nations largest employer that would be pretty bad. its noty like it would really effect the people running the show.

its a good store for people who have alot of mouths to feed on a tight budget.

I dont see them having any trouble paying more, they could raise the price of a select few products and then they could pay the people what they deserve.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
most the people that shop there are on food stamps anyways, so we're paying for wal-mart if you like it or not...

i love working w/ my finances and barly being able to eat, to watch a family of 7 buying doritos and red bulls and mountian dews by the case, because THEY DONT HAVE TO ACTUALLY PAY FOR THE FOOD, but are still throwing coal (dollars) into this giant monster we call 'wal-mart'....

What percentage of wal-marts profits are from foodstamps??? (i.e. our taxes)

# the system.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WEareMACHINES

Actually I went to Wal-Mart recently and did a comparison of essential food items prices and those in my Commissary.

I came to the conclusion that only processed foods and what is considered "junk food" are less expensive, but when it comes to essential items they are quite expensive.

The meat prices are no different than my commissary and brand names are also as expensive as in my commissary.

In other words I didn't save any money shopping in Wal-Mart because I don't buy processed foods or junk foods and neither use their clothing brands.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Walmart takes every dirty advantage it can get. If you haven't seen the film below its an eye opener.

Walmart - High Cost of Low Prices
video.google.com...
1:37:00

[edit on 27-4-2010 by zzombie]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
I have always seen wal-mart as a retailer for the underclass. They are too ignorant to know that its harming their community and I doubt they even care. I'm EXCITED to see more and more people take my side and say no to shopping or even spending a penny at wal-mart.

they obviously don't care about 'their' (lol) community... they love to suck the dollars right out of your home-town and send that # to china where they pay 12 cents an hour and shock children to stay awake and keep working.... evil #...

I don't think we're taking YOUR side either, we all have our own reasons for doing and feeling the way we feel, nothing you have done has taken me to this point... maybe i'm being too analytical... if so, sorry.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

The video is no working, I got a message that it was not longer available.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
I have always seen wal-mart as a retailer for the underclass. They are too ignorant to know that its harming their community and I doubt they even care.

Notice how the 'underclass' has grown as manufacturing jobs go overseas and once-proud blue collar workers with good jobs are forced to take minimum wage McJobs instead? Just where are they going to shop to get the best bang for their increasingly shrinking spending power?

Why, the very folks that sell the cheap Chinese schlock that used to be manufactured here! See a pattern? But do the prices reflect the actual wages paid to the Chinese workers? NO!

So...who is pocketing the margin?

That's who the bad guys are.

And should the workers try to unionise...Walmart leaves town. So much for workers' rights!

Henry Ford was no hero, but his rationale was that his workers should be paid enough to buy his products. That was a self-perpetuating Capitalist model as well, but the greed factor wasn't as endemic as today, so everybody did just fine instead of the income disparity we see now.

In all the thrill of the failure of Communism, people didn't notice that Capitalism flopped as well...to be replaced by Globalism. A couple of decades of credit propped up the system til it finally popped.

But Walmart seems to be doing just fine. It is my retailer of last resort.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Me either, JohnnyCanuck, Walmart can go down in flames for all I care. That company has really went downhill since Sam Wall died. I know many women who were passed over for promotion, and forced to work overtime without pay. Take them down, girls! You have my support.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If they treated their employees fairly & equally they wouldn't have anything to worry about. I have no sympathy for them, they get away with murder because they are so big.

I don't step a foot in that store, I refuse to do business with a company that has cost so many Americans their jobs by bullying corparations to set up manufacturing plants in China.

I personally hope they get hit with so many law suits that they go belly up.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Funny how I can go to my local Wal Mart and see products I have made (or others I work with). These products are made for another company in America and sold at my local Wal Mart. I can also find products that are made at another local factory sitting on the shelves at Wal Mart.

As I posted in another “hate Wal Mart” thread, you can find a list of companies just as bad as Wal Mart in the end. They might not be as big as Wal Mart but they do many of the things everyone bashes Wal Mart for. Instead of working on putting your fellow Americans out of work by trying to cut Wal Mart Down why not try to get Wal Mart to change.

Food prices are cheaper there comparably to other places including the fresh uncooked meats, milk, and produce.

I shop there and I work for every penny I make so does my wife. We are not on food stamps nor are we living off of anyone in our community. The ignorance I see within this thread in some posts is simply astounding. Seriously people who shop at Wal Mart are underclass? Wow how elitist does that make you seem?

I worked for Wal Mart before and yes it sucked I am not denying that. They still employ a few people I call friends as well. But I would not have them shut down, changed in a few ways yes, but not shut down.

If you care to see the post I made on the other thread look it up. If not do the research yourself. There are plenty of companies doing things the same but they never appear in threads. Actually I will let you in on a part of my post though 40% of the products sold in the U.S. are made in China. I can find that sort of stuff at Target, Sears, K Mart, Schnuck’s, Save A Lot, or any number of high dollar brand name stores as well. It is not just a Wal Mart plague but an American plague.

Raist

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
WalMart - everyone's favorite store - puke.

With profits at approx. 400 billion, they are leaps and bound ahead of the next closest profiteer (example Microsoft at 60 billion).. Business practices are cut throat (I guess that's business...) but I would be lying if I did not think this lawsuit is a long time coming... Rather hope it hits them hard.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Once again, the infamous walmart lawsuits! Thier hasnt been one for a good decade it seems!
I DEF have my 2 cents and theory on this one...
Thier are 2 walmarts in the next city to me, one being 5 or 6 miles away, the other, like 13 miles. The one that is 6 miles, me a freind at work dont really like, becuase thiers always long lines and they arnt as stocked as well as the one thats 13 miles.
MANY times ive gone to both, the women working on the floor, seem ghettosih* what i mean by ghettoish, is thick round bootys, some ive seen g strings showing via loose belt pants, and on a few occassions, a few of them gave me that 'im gunna yank you in the backroom for a quickie'.
A freind at work wa at the 6 mile one, gos time to time, a week ago, telling e one chick, was sqautting and working, but had a pink g string exposed....
my point? what is one, especially a MALE to think? get my drift?
like6 years ago, at a home depot, near the 6 mile walmart, one night i went. asked some manager guy thier what isle something was in..he says to me " well, i'll tell you what if im right you have to buy me dinner"

He said it to me with a gay lisp. he was coming onto me, asking me out lol but it angered me becuause it was unprofessional. On craiglist, yuode be suprised how many gay men, go to walmart to hang out for hours at a time, and put posts up saying i'll be in the pipe or door section ect..
I am not gay* but do frequent craigslist time to time, for women for men. sometimes gay men sneak thier posts into the straight male section, so thats how i know.
To me, its like home depot turning into pervertland...its disgusting. its like you cant go shopping without jknowing 2 or 3 isles has a perv sizing yuor body up sexually
home depot, i feel, i just as esponsable for killing off the competition of mom n pops stores. Yeah mom n pop stores mayb e prciery, but at least yuor guaranteed to never get sexually harrased no matter your gender at thier store!
going back to walmart. they do have the best oil prices for yuor car, and i do enjoy looking at the g string women pesoanlly, but...in reality it is wrong. I work in retail management. My theory is, these women possibly came onto the managers intentionally or not intentionally, dressing down, aka exposing some g string and loose pants...having some fling fun with management to get promoted.
Ive been in managemeent for 10 years. and have heard storys at least in the company i work for, where sex is how you get promoted. managers talking about how in the pat, working for a food store, walmart ect, what would go on in the office behind closed doors with no microphones. HEll , one manager was fired 2 or 3 yearrs ago, he is unhappily married. In his mid 40's. he was seeing an employee sexually...she was 17. yes only 17! the company knew about it and terminated him eventually. she got special hours, pay days off, the works almost.
sick world afterall, isnt it? this is business, sad to say. they should teach you in college, that as a male and employer, yuor expected to have sex with your employees in order to get promoted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join