It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag Accountability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Bear with me, I still haven't convinced myself of the pro's and con's of this system but I'm posting it here in order to allow for further input and insight.

Proposal: Flag Accountability

You can probably deduce what it is I want to propose. Upon flagging a thread, your username will appear in a separate field below the Flag button. There could be a 'see who flagged this' link underneath, which would list all these users. The technicalities and how it would be presented isn't really that important, because there are a number of ways that it could be done, all being fairly effective.

Purpose

Accountability, in short. Not in the sense that one would be 'punished' or that flagging any particular thread is considered wrong, but in the sense that one will think more, assess the thread/opening post more and rely more on actually coming to a solid conclusion before actually committing to flagging a thread.

What else...

Besides the above, which should be considered the most important reason for this, it may also reduce the amount of 'largely unpopular' threads from reaching front page or the newsletter. These types of threads usually include thread names along the lines of... I am an alien here to answer questions, I am from this galaxy coming to spread a message, I will answer the secrets of your life, etc. Now, please, do not take this the wrong way. I am not attempting to discredit anyone with a genuine belief in these topics who post such threads, but the reality is that a lot of these threads are from people who are there to get a joy ride and carry a few members along with them. In all honesty, some may even flag these threads from time to time in order to get more 'lulz' from it in due time, I've done it once. Now, its fairly obvious how flag accountability would be useful in this situation. In many of these threads you have members post comments along the lines of...

- How the hell did this thread get X flags?
- How did this crap make the home page?

etc.

Pros:
- May require better assessment before flagging allowing for more insightful comments from the user.
- Reduces the amount of exposure that hoax/prank threads receive.
- May provide incentive for members to 'up their game' in terms of contribution effort.

Cons:
- May result in less flagging overall... not necessarily a bad thing.
- ... ?

Member and staff opinions appreciated.

[edit on 27/4/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

So, in other words..it would reduce the buddy system ?
gotcha.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I just had to be the first to flag your thread..
But seriously, good idea if possible.
Should be the same for "stars". Then we'd know which team the people giving the star is on.
On a side note..I think it's silly you can star your own post.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Hey,

Sorry, I don't see how it would reduce the buddy system... you mean people won't friend each other as often? Why? If anything they would friend each other more under this system.

Another pro! Woot!

reply to post by virgom129

Personally I think its a lot different with stars. Threads themselves are promoted to the home page, or receive a lot of attention due to the amount of flags they get. It is here where the accountability should lie because it is what we see first. Starring someone is less about promoting the thread that the post is in and more about promoting/supporting an expressed opinion.

Stars are more like the anonymous ballot, you can choose to support someone's point of view and no one needs to know who you are. Where as flags are like government expenditure. I.e: We, the members, want to know where the money (flags) is going, who's sending it and to whom its being sent, so that the system runs properly.

Cheers.

[edit on 27/4/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Upon flagging a thread, your username will appear in a separate field below the Flag button.

What? ...and expose the NSA's currently secret profiling system? Tell me you're kidding!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

No..I mean it would reduce the instance of flagging threads just because your ATS buddy started it.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I feel your whole proposition is wrong .

This would be the same as making your choice of canditate a matter of public record in every election .

I flag a thread because I feel it contains info that others should be made aware of . Never is it due to some 'buddy' system .

There are a lot of threads that are posted by members whom I generally agree with , that I don't flag because I see no importance in them .

As for the poster who commented about starring your own post , I don't think that is possible . You certainly can't flag your own thread , because the red flag option is not lit when you visit your own thread .

Try it sometime , it doesn't work . Iv'e seen this issue brought up before . Rest assured that no one can flag or star their own thread .

I will continue to flag a thread on it's merits , not on who posted it ., whether it's from someone I tend to generally agree with , or from someone I never agree with .

The only reason that I even list someone as a friend is so that I will be reminded that they have made some valid points at one time or another that I have found credible or valid , and this helps to remind me not to flame them when they post something that I may find ludicrous . It is a simple system of 'checking' myself to remind me that nobody is right all of the time .

Your proposal as per flags would only serve to tag someone with the proverbial 'scarlet letter' , in that it would pave the way for ridiculing someone by being able to say 'well , you are full of crap because way back over here , you flagged this thread , which is bunk , because I didn't agree with it and therefore didn't flag it' .

Then , YOUR buddies would not consider flagging it because they desire to continue to receive YOUR support in the way of stars and flags .

So , I say NO to your proposition for the simple reason that it is in no way a part of the democratic process .

The current system works fine for me .

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

If you are simply issuing stars and flags based on which 'team' someone is on , then you are wrong for all the right reasons .

Stars and flags , if used properly , should be issued on merit , credibility , validity , and what you perceive as information / opinion that others should be made aware of .

ATS is more than just a game made up of opposite 'teams' .

I vote for the canditate who comes closest to supporting my ideals and aspirations , never mind which 'team' they are on or which 'party' they are affiliated with .

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Man..Just keep the flagging system the way it is. All the flagging system is, is to give public awareness (ATS), to the thread. You do not need to see who gave you a flag.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

, but in the sense that one will think more, assess the thread/opening post more and rely more on actually coming to a solid conclusion before actually committing to flagging a thread.

Shouldn't this be done by reading the thread. After all quality of thread is in the eye of the beholder not other people's eyes. How about each member judge a thread and respond and flag accordingly based on their own opinion - not on who flagged or how many flags a thread has.

That is what I do.

[edit on April 27th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Another idea to fix something on ATS that is not needed.

Keep the system the way it is.

You flag whatever you choose, I flag what I choose.

That is part of the beauty of ATS!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yeah I suppose you guys are right...

GEL, it wasn't about examining how many flags a thread had and deciding based upon that whether to flag or not. It was pure accountability which I thought had some positive merits if introduced properly. But I can see now how it wouldn't work aswell as I initially thought...

Nevermind.

Originally posted by okbmd

I flag a thread because I feel it contains info that others should be made aware of . Never is it due to some 'buddy' system .

It was never about any 'buddy system'. I think you misconstrued what I was trying to say.

Ignore this thread, just a random thought which upon further reflection doesn't hold much water as I thought it did.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
[edit on 27-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

new topics

top topics

join