It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless good Samaritan left to die on NYC street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The link is:

www.rr.com...

Is there any hope for the world if this is the actions of the average person. My disgust of those people who walked past that injured man can not be put into words. How would they respond if you walked past their father or brother who was lying bleeding on the street. Hopefully no one who posts on ATS would just walk by and injured person without giving some kind of aid.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Probably not the same exact article, but the same story none the less...in case you missed it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jagdflieger

For some reason, people who help people are treated like this, just as Jesus was.

But, people who help people are blessed, just as Jesus was.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
the moral of the story seems clear, helping someone in trouble will get you killed while ignoring them gets you to work on time. i know that sounds really callous but it's not, it's just stating the obvious.

when the guy tried to help a woman in distress, he got stabbed and died. everyone ignored him because they are terrified to become involved in a violent situation for fear of being killed.

i'm not sure i hold it against them.

society is pretty messed up.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I have to say a blessing for that brave person.

I don't know what he believed, but I say "Go to your Lord, and bless you, and thank you, you very brave person."

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Yes you are right; I missed the other posting (even though I did check around). My apology. However, the link I posted does have video coverage attached to it. Still I wonder how the people who passed by would feel if they were lying there in a pool of blood and no one would help (or if their brother of father was in the same situation). Almost every one has a cell phone today. At least out of 25 people, one or two would have a cell phone. It would not be getting "too involved" to call 911 and wait until the police and paramedics showed up. Well I guess getting to work on time is more important than saving someones life in this day and age.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
There's being a good Samaritan and there's being a dumbass.

You dont just walk up to somebody with a weapon alone (seeing as he was homeless he was likely weak, hungry, untrained) and say "hey, stop that" and expect the guy to run off.

His intentions were great. More people should be willing to identify bad behavior and call it out. But his method was, to be blunt, foolish.

Unless he was a former Marine or even had a big stick with him to clobber the mugger on the head he was nearly guaranteed to end up a victim himself.

Im not saying dont intervene. Lord knows Im not saying that at all. If you are going to intervene make sure you are ready to intervene.

Regarding not helping the wounded man. Having lived in a city myself I became jaded. Everyday I had to step over half a dozen drunks in the street. Not all homeless. Often they were local university students who passed out the previous night. Eventually it gets to you. You just stop caring. Even the EMT's, cops and paramedics working that area mentioned to me more than once how they just couldnt give a rats ass anymore. Picking up the same drunks, the same addicts, day after day. It numbs you. Eventually you find yourself hoping this night they choke on their vomit you wont have to see them anymore.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Eventually you find yourself hoping this night they choke on their vomit you wont have to see them anymore.

perhaps the time to stop being a public servant?!?

not caring is one thing, ugly and all, but understandable, hoping someone would die so you don't have to see them, that's sick.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So we no longer stop and help because we are jaded. Well seeing someone passed out drunk on the street as opposed to someone lying in a pool of blood are two different matters. If you see a pool of blood, that person requires medical attention. In most states, the people who passed by committed a felony. It is a felony to witness a crime or have reason to believe a crime has been committed and not report it to the police. Although I don't think that too many people have been charged, but if you witness any crime (such as a beating, robbery, etc.) and not report it then you have committed also committed a felony. Perhaps if police started tracking down those who passed by and arrested them for not reporting a crime, then maybe we would have citizens more likely to give aid. These incidents show a basic sickness within our society. The point is if the average person will not stop to help an injured man, how can we expect that average person to resist the eroding of personal liberties by the government.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger The point is if the average person will not stop to help an injured man, how can we expect that average person to resist the eroding of personal liberties by the government.

We can't. The average person will just roll over and take it.

Here's a nice story from the other day where a 65 year old man shot a mugger.

The majority of comments are along the lines of "if the mugger wasnt poor this wouldnt have happened" and "why did that man have a gun there in the first place?"

People looking to blame the actions on something grand and abstract rather than the actor and people looking to make a villain out of the guy who defended himself with lines like "there are other people in that park" and "what if the bullet hit a kid."

The average person loves victims and is addicted to pity. They think being a victim is like being a contestant on American Idol. America will love you.
Not being a victim is almost a crime itself punishable by public scorn and police scrutiny.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Oh how things have changed! In the old days, the 65 year old man would have been considered a hero, but would have been criticized because he only wounded the mugger. News stories like this is why I have little hope in the future of our civilization.

top topics

join