It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A dark hole has formed in the sun's atmosphere

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
well well....here's the info

A dark hole has formed in the sun's atmosphere. NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft photographed it just hours ago

It's a "coronal hole," a vast region where solar magnetic fields have opened up and allowed some of the sun's atmosphere to escape. The runaway atmosphere is heading our way in the form of a solar wind stream

source:spaceweather

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

Well well what?

It's just a coronal hole...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
So the world really is going to end today then. I guess i shoulda called into work last night. Oh well i am about to get off and i will go outside and soak up the ejaculations from the coronal hole that is heading my way.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

You still got just under a week till the end of the world.

The solar wind from it won't reach us until around the 3rd of May.

Could create some good Auroras!

[edit on 27/4/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Would one of you gifted people tell me why its going to kill us?

Thanks..(in case i die before i can say it)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
what does this mean?...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Oh well i am about to get off and i will go outside and soak up the ejaculations from the coronal hole that is heading my way.

That conjures a very strange image. Can’t get it out of my mind now. Thanks.

What factor sun cream should we wear?

Serious question for the OP: do you think this is important?

(And a question for the ATS fringe). Cool! Wow! Can you see the cities on the surface of the sun now the fire-clouds have moved out of the way?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
what does this mean?...

well I guess a good line would be from "The Matrix"

"Buckle up Dorothy, Kansas is going bye-bye"

what it means is:
stronger and hotter solar winds than earlier
this month when we had 41 earthquakes
in a week.

It seems the heavens are swatting flies
on earth. And we're the flies.
But that's just a guess

One thing I did notice about that hole shown in the pic
was it's size compared to earth. The entire
planet earth could fit inside that hole.
That solar wind is gonna be astronomical
in size.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This may not be good.

The first wave of the solar protons (which travels at light speed ) will be hitting Earth' magnetosphere soon ( 15mins upon discovery of burst), with the waves bombarding Earth for the next few days.

If the magnetosphere is not strong enough to deflect the protons and it penetrates through......unstable tectonic plates may be in trouble.

Just like our ancestors in the middle ages who did not know why bread with blue mould could supparate wounds (penicillium), so too today is there much yet to comprehend about unknown atmospheric sciences and its co-relation to our planet.

This is not to alarm anyone, our magnetosphere may be strong enough, but at the same time, just take precautions of quakes and tsunamis.

NOAA 3 hr daily magnetosphere energy penetration index

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

I'm sorry
I forgot to the tell the OP
thanks for the bad news
S&F

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
it's starting
Southern California just got hit with earthquake

MAP 4.7 2010/04/27 10:55:35 32.676 -115.844 4.7 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Oh wonderful... I'm in Fl, if all of this is serious my whole state will just break off and sink into the ocean....

www.data.scec.org...

Up to date earthquake reports.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Please don't pretend to know what you're talking about.

The current coronal hole is tiny.

This is a large coronal hole:

This ominous, dark shape sprawling across the face of the active Sun is a coronal hole -- a low density region extending above the surface where the solar magnetic field opens freely into interplanetary space. Studied extensively from space since the 1960s in ultraviolet and x-ray light, coronal holes are known to be the source of the high-speed solar wind, atoms and electrons which flow outward along the open magnetic field lines. During periods of low activity, coronal holes typically cover regions just above the Sun's poles. But this coronal hole, one of the largest seen so far in the current solar activity cycle, extends from the south pole (bottom) well into northern hemisphere. Coronal holes like this one may last for a few solar rotations before the magnetic fields shift and change configurations.

See the difference?

Also, a coronal hole is cooler than the other regions of the sun, just so you know...

[edit on 27/4/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeytheHair

well a 4.7 is not that bad
but that doesn't mean the next
one wont be after that coronal hole.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What does this mean for us earth creatures?

We gonna become sun baked extra crispy?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

As far as I know, the only way we would be "baked" is if the atmosphere was exceptionally weak or the solar winds exceptionally strong and frequent. The more frequent they are the less time our "protective shield", (Magnetosphere), has to recover from individual blast.

Of course... there IS another way we could get baked....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

yes u showed a larger coronal hole

but here is an image of the comparative sizes
of the planet in conjunction with the sun.
As you can see from that first pic posted,
earth is smaller than that hole. The distances between
planets and the sun in this pic is not correct but
the sizes are correct.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeytheHair

Oh wonderful... I'm in Fl, if all of this is serious my whole state will just break off and sink into the ocean....

"Hello new west coast, my west coast!"

From Superman the movie

[edit on 27-4-2010 by The Ghost Who Walks]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
You guys start these threads about the Sun and get people all scared for nothing. The Sun is practically asleep and anything happening now is just a little flutter of its eyelids.

We are at 12 days running with NO sunspots and I doubt most of the ones there have been recently would have even been observable with the instruments available during the "maunder minimum". Which means we are headed for some VERY cold weather here on Earth in the next few years.

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity

SDF Number 116 Issued at 2200Z on 26 Apr 2010

Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 25/2100Z to 26/2100Z: Solar activity was very low. No flares were observed during the past 24 hours and the disk remained spotless.

Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to remain very low for the next three days (27-29 April).

Geophysical Activity Summary 25/2100Z to 26/2100Z: The geomagnetic field was quiet during the past 24 hours.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled with isolated active periods at high latitudes on day 1 (27 April) due to possible effects of a CME observed on 22 April and a coronal hole high speed stream rotating into a geoeffective position. Quiet to unsettled conditions are expected on day two (28 April) due to a second coronal hole high speed stream rotating into a geoeffective position. Conditions are expected to be quiet on day three (29 April).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join