It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoke bomb and eggs thrown in Ukraine parliament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Smoke bomb and eggs thrown in Ukraine parliament

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

Politicians pelted Ukrainian lawmakers with a smoke bomb and eggs as the parliament approved an agreement allowing the Russian Navy to stay in a Ukranian port until 2042.

Chamber speaker Volodymyr Litvyn was forced to take shelter under his umbrella as he was hit by eggs after deputies from newly elected President Viktor Yanukovich's coalition approved the extension to the Russian Black Sea Fleet's base in Crimea.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/4/2010 by BlackPoison94]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Ukrainian nationalists, led by former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and former President Viktor Yushchenko, regard the base as a betrayal of Ukraine's national interests. They wanted to remove it when the existing lease runs out in 2017.

Mr Yanukovich agreed the navy base deal with Russian leader Dmitry Medvedev on April 21 in exchange for a 30 percent cut in the price of Russian gas to Ukraine - a boon to Kiev's struggling economy.

But the newly elected Mr Yanukovich says he wants to significantly improve ties with Ukraine's former Soviet master. He says the Black Sea fleet in Crimea does not endanger Ukraine's national interests and enhances European security.

Mr Yanukovich's opponents say he is acting against the constitution. But the constitution is ambiguous, containing two contradictory articles on the stationing of foreign military bases in the country.

"If society today turns a blind eye to the Kharkiv agreement, it is possible that it will be the biggest loss to our sovereignty and independence," Yushchenko said at the weekend, referring to the meeting in the city of Kharkiv where Yanukovich and Medvedev agreed the deal.

The Russian fleet in Sevastopol comprises about 16,200 servicemen, a rocket cruiser, a large destroyer and about 40 other vessels including submarines, landing craft, small destroyers and support ships.

There's a video shown on the link of the actual pelting of eggs.

I don't really think I've seen something like this in a Parliament, no?Maybe it's just hidden from the public

Rather interesting...Ukraine v Russia.

Any comments?

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/4/2010 by BlackPoison94]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

To be honest i don't really know much about the Ukraine... but i'm just thinking if they can get into a Parliament building with smoke bombs, they can into a Parliament building with a real bomb or grenades...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Allowing the Russians to stay was obviously a very unpopular move. I think it's fair to say the majority of the population would think the same. One of my best friends is Ukranian, and I don't have to ask him to know what his opinion would be of this.

These people sold out. But they were heavily manipulated to do so.

They deserved the eggs, though. But as someone stated, they very easily could have been something worse.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Still champion of one of the world´s boxing associations Dr. Vitali Klitchko,
a Ukrainian, has founded a democratic party with which he is going to
enter the next parliamentary election with excellent chances.

He would be taking care of that kind of a row.

It bespeaks of the situation that parliamentarians have their umbrella
with them ready for defense.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
What no shoe?

I love how the people around him are doing nothing to stop him.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Here's a video from the incident.

"Chaotic scenes in Ukraine parliament"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
That video is pretty funny,A few of them are standing around laughing others are not even surprised.Do they have umbrellas as standard equipment in the parliament, maybe this is a normal day in Ukraine politics.This sums up the whole world of politics,Little kids fighting in the schoolyard while the others egg them on .They all need a pay rise!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Haha! I just saw this on our TV news!

I was wondering and thinking to myself whilst watching - where the heck they got those umbrellas from so quickly?

But they probably expected the egging!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Personally, I think this was rather inneffective. I mean eggs and smokebombs?

HA!

I would have lit off some stink bombs myself. Maybe a dozen or so. There would have been no signing due to the horrible smell.

Not to mention the addition of projectile vomit that would be sure to follow.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Allowing the Russians to stay was obviously a very unpopular move.

Actually it wasn't unpopular. Yanukovich was elected by the majority of Ukrainians, and his policy was well known ahead of time. It was always one of his positions that Ukraine should allow the Russian base to stay in exchange for proper payment. Well Ukraine will receive a very good gas price subsidy from Russia in exchange for this - something that Ukraine needs a lot. This will allow Ukrainian economy to come out of the crisis and hopefully expand in the future.

It just so happens that the opposition is extremely vocal and tries to prevent any action by the new government. Well Yanukovich was elected by a popular vote, so if the opposition truly want democracy they should put up with that fact.

I think it's fair to say the majority of the population would think the same. One of my best friends is Ukranian, and I don't have to ask him to know what his opinion would be of this.

No the majority of the population do not think the same. I am part Ukrainian and I have relatives in Ukraine. Most Ukrainians don't care much about the Russian naval base, and don't oppose it. What they do care about it Ukraine's economy and political crisis, and both have been jeopardized by the previous pro-US government of Yuschenko. This is why Yanukovich got elected in the first place.

These people sold out. But they were heavily manipulated to do so..

How did they sell out? Does every country that hosts US military bases "sell out" and is under "heavy manipulation"?

They deserved the eggs, though. But as someone stated, they very easily could have been something worse.

Eggs and fists do not belong in the Parliament. This juvenile behavior only makes those who engage in it look like idiots, and makes a mockery of the country's political system. Ukraine has laws and Parliament voting to solve matters. If the opposition party lost the vote, then thats too bad, and they should STFU. If the people disagree they will elect others next time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/638f4ce66e4e.jpg[/atsimg]

Nice left hook

Silly clowns

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I sometimes kind of wish I could do this in the Swedish and European parliament. Very well done. These traitors that are corrupt politicians need to be ridiculed and punished for their traitorous acts, not just mildly criticized. Nice job, Ukraine!

Of course, if I were the head of security for the Parliament, I would start looking for a new job.

new topics

top topics

join