It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada has a Royal Regiment!??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by star in a jar

How to the majority of Canadians think about this? Do most of you hate this or are you all cool with it?

As a Canadian I don't feel terribly oppressed by England or the Queen personally lol

We don't have insecurity issues about our sovereignty like the yakees

God save the Queen!

Well the thing about the yanks if you must know...is that they saw the Queen Mother naked one time or rather they saw her when she was naked. And well that was that.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

As we are dwelling into history a bit, here are some current British overseas territories, with nice flags and anthems.

May I humbly submit the flag of the Province of Ontario:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b941d3fefe5.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I was just thinking to post the PPCLI.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Queen Elizabeth II has numerous titles, Queen of England is just one of them.

List of Titles and honours of Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith,[2] Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich,[N 1] Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

and she has differing titles in each "realm." In this way, while she is one person she occupies multiple offices.

Of which she has 16, for each area in the Commonwealth.

Sovereign of the Order of Canada, Sovereign of the Order of Australia, Sovereign of the Order of New Zealand, Sovereign of the Order of Barbados, Sovereign of the Order of Valour, Sovereign of the Order of Military Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces, Sovereign of the Queen's Service Order, Sovereign of the New Zealand Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of St. Andrew, Sovereign of the Order of Logohu, Sovereign of the Order of the Star of Melanesia.

You know, she may be the most decorated Royal ever.

[edit on 2010/4/28 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
As to the issue of sovereignty - this has some excellent "Canadian" specific concepts and application of Sovereignty.

Canadian Encyclopedia Article on Sovereignty

Canada is its own legal personality as a state.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Is British Columbia in Canada?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Just because we Americans don't call our President and First Lady royalty, it doesn't mean that they're anything less. These people will all appear at the same functions as the Queen. They perform the same ceremonial functions. The media follows them around the same as the British media follows its royalty. We are not so opposed to royalty. We just call it something else to feel better about ourselves. Oh, but don't tell anyone I told you this. We have a reputation to uphold: Just say no to royalty.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nemesis0123

Yes but our Royalty share blood and have gone back hundreads of years, Prince Charles is related to an ancient anglo-saxon king.

American presidents arent related (as far as we know)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

BC is the Western most province in Canada.

Canada's political boundaries:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86

To paraphrase an old scottish folk singer, the first casualty of British imperialism was England.

And the United Kingdoms of England and Scotland, was a scottish idea, enacted by a scottish king, because the scots were bankrupt.

Revisionism: a load of bollocks.

What are you talking about the Norman Conquests? Elaborate.

Claiming the UK is a Scottish Idea is total bs. Tell that to Edward I. How could the Scots have a "war of independence" against it's self? Doesn't make any sense.

If I am wrong explain in detail so I can learn something new. As far as I am concerned, Scotland is a conquered territory. Wales too.

If you think revisionism is bullocks why are you blatantly doing it?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemesis0123
Just because we Americans don't call our President and First Lady royalty, it doesn't mean that they're anything less. These people will all appear at the same functions as the Queen. They perform the same ceremonial functions. The media follows them around the same as the British media follows its royalty. We are not so opposed to royalty. We just call it something else to feel better about ourselves. Oh, but don't tell anyone I told you this. We have a reputation to uphold: Just say no to royalty.

The USA became independent during the reign of King George III.

Mad King George. He had some interesting ideas about the role of morals and the first family. Amoungst many other things.

What I find most interesting about this, is that the USA instituations took with them these ideas of the moral and behaviours of the "First Family" from King George III. In the rejection of British rule, instead the USA adopted and stagnanted on the moral and military responsibilites of the head of State and his family.

You only think you got away. Almost every Presdient sits in the tradition of Mad King George - and you are completely unaware of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

...or, as we Easterners like to say, on the "Left Coast" (featuring the city of Vansterdam...fodder for another thread
)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

We don't have insecurity issues about our sovereignty like the yakees

God save the Queen!

You have no sovereignty to be insecure about! Only the Queen is sovereign, you are merely a subject.

Also calling all Americans Yanks is like calling all UK subjects Welsh.

Yankees are a baseball team in NEW YORK. The rest of the USA hates them for the most part (except the traitors haha!).

I am originally from Texas, you should call me a Cowboy or something. It's more fitting.

Take that in jest.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

You only think you got away.

I agree.

I think it is obvious that the War of 1812 was merely the USA being reconquered by the Crown. They did burn the White House down after all, and kicked the unprepared Americans' tail very badly.

So I consider the USA a subject of the Crown (informally or secretly) since 1812.

This is merely my conclusion and I am sure many will debate it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The Union of the Crowns of England and Scotland occured when King James VI of Scotland inherited the English throne... tho union of crown is rather miss leading since both crowns simply resided on one head rather than being united..

en.wikipedia.org...

However I am not an expert on such things, more Saxon (Anglo-Saxon/old English) than anything else..

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
One person with many different crowns. Each one a separate legal entity represented by a single person.

The war of 1812 is long over, and the USA sits as its own Sovereign country apart from the Commonwealth.

Queen Elizabeth II has ruled lightly, and divested more power to her democracies than any other ruler ever. Without a war. Without strife. And she has made those changes permanent in law.

I suspect that Her Majsety loves democracy. She has done more to advance it in her many realms than any other singular person on this planet.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The war of 1812 is long over, and the USA sits as its own Sovereign country apart from the Commonwealth.

Except that part where we are literally intertwined in almost every treaty.

And the part where we fight side by side in every war...

I don't really see much difference between the USA and the rest of the Commonwealth.

I typically consider the USA as part of it...but I suppose this is just my "common sense" approach.

So to me, the USA IS Commonwealth (very subtly).

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

reply to post by star in a jar

How to the majority of Canadians think about this? Do most of you hate this or are you all cool with it?

The reason we don't get huffy about any foreigners interferring here is when they come over here we simply ignore them and wait for winter to come.

They go home in a hurry.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

...or, as we Easterners like to say, on the "Left Coast" (featuring the city of Vansterdam...fodder for another thread
)

Also fondly known as Hongcouver owing to the large oriental population that live there.

Interestingly, here on the island where I live they are very few orientals at all and the only blacks you see are tourists from the states.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by leo123]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Alberta consistently makes that kind of noise because there are those who figure Alberta should take its oil and do the same. Recall "Let those eastern bastards freeze in the dark"?

That was a good one, I remember that one!

How did you eastern turkies make out on that one?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join