It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopping Around For Bargain Medical Procedures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm not in America so the compulsary medical insurance doesn't affect me, so I'm not on either side of the fence on this issue. Just thought I'd throw this article out there for people to decide for themselves on this issue.

edition.cnn.com...

Video at source.

Godfrey Davies learned he needed surgery to remove polyps blocking his nasal airways, the self-described bargain shopper set out on a mission to find an affordable surgeon. He quickly learned a good deal is hard to find.

Davies, who is semiretired from his real estate business and uninsured, says he received estimates from two surgeons. When hospital, anesthesia and incidental fees were all tallied, the cheapest price he could find in Indianapolis, Indiana, was $33,127 -- which he would need to pay out of pocket.

Frustrated that his bargain shopping saved him so little, Davies called on family in the United Kingdom for assistance. When they told him they had found a private hospital in Wales that would perform the surgery for $2,930 [or £1,897], Davies didn't think twice.

He purchased a $768 round-trip ticket, and on March 18, he boarded a flight to the UK to have his polyps removed there at a savings of nearly $30,000.

An estimated 878,000 Americans will travel internationally for a medical procedure this year, according to a report from the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions. That number is expected to nearly double by 2012.

The majority of medical tourists are uninsured; however, the cost of health care in this country has become so expensive that even some U.S. health insurance companies are coordinating with hospitals overseas.

Davies, who is originally from Wales and has been a U.S. citizen since 2002, says he was disappointed about having to travel more than 4,200 miles for such a simple procedure. But ultimately money was the deciding factor.

"$33,000 versus $3,600 ... I can put up with a lot of inconvenience to save that kind of money."

Saving $25,000+ is certainly a very large saving, for the vast majority of people.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by acrux]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
hello anybody, no one got an opinion

join