It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Russian nanotech company opens up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
RT News

Rosnano head Anatoly Chubais and Russian deputy premier Sergey Ivanov have announced the creation of the country’s first company applying nanotechnology commercially.

The company, majority owned by Rosnano, will produce nano-coated carbide tools used in machine building industries particularly for aircraft engines.

Output for the company is expected to reach full capacity in 2014 when 150 thousand units of nano-coated cutting tools will be produced as well as 250 resharpening units. Sales are expected to reach 1.275 billion Roubles. The Yaroslavl government said that the general investment amounted to 1 billion Roubles.

I think this is awesome news! The first company in Russia to apply nanotech commercially. Nanotech has always been an interesting subject to me. I cant wait to see what new products/tech/everything come out of this science area.

Russia is coming up in the technology it seems. I dont know really how nano-coated tools work but it will be intersting to see.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I thinkt his would be a great oppurtunity for someone versed in nanothechnolgy to provide a brief and easily accesible description of nanotech for us laypersons...

(I'll use google, but I cannot provide anything by way of explanation or comprehension...and I have a few other things on my plate...)

As to the article...a very interesting commercial application. I just wish I understood what it meant...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Its just synthetic structures created on an atomic or molecular level. Tubes that are the width of an atom etc. This sounds cool, prolly even coulda put this in the Breaking News section *shrugs*

s+f

I hope they one day have nano-machines that live in garbage dumps, and separate all of the junk into bricks of pure elements for re-using.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Im taking a course nanotechnology in college after I finish all more required studies first. From what I have read so far is that the nano unit is smaller than the micro unit and it is still a pretty new area at the moment. I havent really heard of anything substatial come out other than the development of carbon nanotubes.

Wikipedia - Carbon Nanotubes

The strength and flexibility of carbon nanotubes makes them of potential use in controlling other nanoscale structures, which suggests they will have an important role in nanotechnology engineering. The highest tensile strength of an individual multi-walled carbon nanotube has been tested to be is 63 GPa.[17] Carbon nanotubes were found in Damascus steel from the 17th century, possibly helping to account for the legendary strength of the swords made of it.[85][86]

Im guessing that the tubes will be like regular pipes/tubes that we currently use, except on a smaller level.

- I actually just did a search and found out theres alot more nanotech products out there.

Wiki Link

As of August 21, 2008, the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies estimates that over 800 manufacturer-identified nanotech products are publicly available, with new ones hitting the market at a pace of 3–4 per week.[26]

And another nanotech site - Nanotech Consumer Products Inventory

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I thought about putting it in breaking news, but since its science-related I put it in Science&Tech. Im not sure many people would bother to look at it if it was in Breaking News because it dosent relate to violence and isnt something that would prolly not even make it on the evening news. If it happend in the USA im sure it would be all over the news, but since its in Russia it will prolly just blow by

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Has the energy supply problem even been solved for 'nanotech' to even be applicable to anything?

Last I heard, (admittedly two or more years ago) the main problem with nano technology was simply the power source to make the little suckers work wasn't feasible to use because of size limitation. Basically they didn't have a power source small enough or strong/long lasting enough.

Technology advances quickly though so I'm sure after I heard the ^above^ they solved the energy problem.

The cost is impractical for real commercial use though, unless the benefit from using these tools does in fact make up for it.

Nanotechnology is in no way cheap.

new topics

top topics

join