It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE and private prisons making profit off illegal immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
RT News

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency holds thousands of undocumented immigrants in prisons around the country, and the truth of what happens inside is a closely guarded secret.

An estimated 380,000 immigrants were imprisoned last year–up 300 percent from a decade ago–and punishing them can be profitable for the Corrections Corporation of America, or CCA. The nation’s largest private prison provider is subcontracted by ICE to operate more than 60 facilities, including the New Jersey jail where Boubacar Bah was last seen alive.

In 2008, CCA made just under $1.6 billion. Meanwhile, ICE is requesting a budget increase from Washington. They are hoping to get $5.8 billion for the next fiscal year.

If the ICE and prison industrial complex is banking off of illegals, why would they want to secure our borders? If we simply closed off our borders, the prisons wont be getting as much cash as they are now. Maybe the fed is ignoring the borders for this reason?

And 380,000 immigrants last year, I would think the number would be lower but I guess not.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
While i enjoy watching Russia Today, you must not take what they say at face value. Not saying the story is wrong, but as you point out the number seems bodgy. I could be wrong but it would not be the first time R.T. has exagerated or even flat out lied and misrepresented the facts.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pablos

I did a quick search of ICE's website and found this on their Executive Summary page of their 2008 annual report.

Removed illegal aliens. ICE removed 356,739 illegal aliens from the United States—a 23.5 percent increase over the previous year’s total. This includes more than 100,000 who returned to their home countries voluntarily.

www.ice.gov...

Im not sure if RT was reporting 2009's numbers, but so far I havent been able to find and ICE reports for 2009. Still, if RT was reporting 2008's numbers, they were kind of close. But like I suspected, the reall numbers were lower.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I just thought I would throw this graph on here to show the increase of arrests over the past few years.

www.ice.gov...

Edit - trouble with the images and the linking part stuff...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The number of people arrested seems to be 34000 in that graph. ten times less than op states. also only about 250000 were sent forcibly (deported). Also this could represent a crackdown rather than escalation of illegals. It does not state that these people arrived that year. These people could have been in the country for ten years. The numbers represent who was caught up with and sent back. Nice effort in the research though. That is the frustrating thing about watching R.T.. Always having to sift through and verify what is post cold war propaganda and what is relevant news.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Heres a few links to some private prison companies across the US.

GEO Group

At the moment, GEO's stock is worth $21.32 a share.
I think this group was called Wackenhut earlier, but I dont remember for sure.

CCA

CCA's stock is worth $20.60 at the moment.

So far those are the only private prisons I could find.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this. Here are other links to help with fact-checking:

www.youtube.com... (Arizona's "Papers Please")

www.youtube.com... (PBS on private prisons)

www.youtube.com... (Private prison lobbying tactics)

www.youtube.com... (Judges plead guilty to selling 5000 children to private prisons for millions of dollars in bribes)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The prison industry is making a fortune off these illegals just like the farming and retail and hotel industries do. And so they bribe the politicians into letting the illegals invade. Meanwhile the huge social costs of these parasites is dumped on the taxpayers.

top topics

join