It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard deployments - Chicago first?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Chicago is begging for the National Guard.

www.suntimes.com...

Daley: National Guard only a 'Band-Aid' solution to crime

April 26, 2010
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
Calling out the National Guard to help stop the bloodbath on Chicago streets is a "Band-Aid" solution with dangerous "repercussions," Mayor Daley said today. But, he did not dismiss the idea outright.

"Do you put 'em on for a weekend without ammunition? Think of the repercussions you have to look at. Are they situated with fully-automatic weapons? You have to be very careful," Daley said.
...More at link

Arizona is asking for the National Guard.

www.theatlantic.com...

McCain Defends Arizona's Immigration Law
APR 26 2010, 5:15 PM ET
McCain called on the Obama administration to send 33,000 border patrol agents, plus National Guard troops, to the border for security, and to fund a ramped-up security effort.
...More at link

Who's next?

Are we seeing a trend here, is the recovery under way, or should we consider switching over to the Survival Techniques forum?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The National Guard patrolling the streets of Chicago is an absurd response to an absurd problem. Mayor Daley, almost to his credit, put this idea out of the realm of possibility...for now. What's happening in Chicago isn't random acts of violence in need of an armed presence to control. It's a random spike that's mostly gang related. It's scary that the idea was even brought up.

As for AZ, that's a slightly different story. They should have realized the new illegal immigrant law would cause some issues. However, not being in the middle of AZ, it's hard to comment on the reality of the situation there.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
here is some eye-opening news

No wonder they are asking for the National Guard
check this out

Mayor Daley cuts 6% of city budget, $11 Million

cbs2chicago.com...

Chicago Police understaffed by 700 and
State Troopers no longer patrol Chicago City Limits

www.associatedcontent.com...

Chicago cuts Anti-Gang Programs

www.highbeam.com...

This is the reason why the National Guard is being called.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
National guard was on the streets on New Orleans in the wake of hurricane Katrina for over a year. And despite the Governors promise that they would only be in the largely abandoned areas of the 9th ward and other more abandoned areas we saw them everywhere. In the French Quarter for one, I'm not suggesting a few troops hanging around, I'm talking about HumVees with a crew of 5 including a turret gunner. they were in Metairie they were even given limited police powers and were pulling motorists over on Interstate 10. It even got to the point where they were running around in white Crowne Vics with something akin to the State police insignia plastered on their doors.

You don't want the National Guard on your streets. what is coming in Arizona might demand it but this power should only be utilized in the most extreme cases.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Classic problem, reaction, solution.

Second Line

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Wow just watched Chicago news I had no idea how bad the area is,

april 1st & 2nd 30 people shot in 36 hours 5 dead
april 15th & 16th 22 people shot in 12 hours 7 dead.
sounds like iraq news.

I know no one wants the NWO but that is out of controll over there
I think that area needs the national guard to replace some Order

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
here is some eye-opening news

No wonder they are asking for the National Guard
check this out

Mayor Daley cuts 6% of city budget, $11 Million

cbs2chicago.com...

Chicago Police understaffed by 700 and
State Troopers no longer patrol Chicago City Limits

www.associatedcontent.com...

Chicago cuts Anti-Gang Programs

www.highbeam.com...

This is the reason why the National Guard is being called.

This is why the second amendment (the right to bare arms) should not infringed on. As are founding fathers realized liberty means that ultimately it’s the individuals responsibility to defend him self, his family and property. If you put that responsibility in the hands of others your bound to be let down (at the expense of your family.)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog
This is why the second amendment (the right to bare arms) should not infringed on. As are founding fathers realized liberty means that ultimately it’s the individuals responsibility to defend him self, his family and property. If you put that responsibility in the hands of others your bound to be let down (at the expense of your family.)

Oh that's right, Chicago believes in gun control instead of 'bad guy' control. Terrible terrible town, I cancelled an offsite management meeting there and held it in Santa Monica instead.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Chicago is not a "terrible, terrible" town. Like any major metropolitan area, there are "good" and "bad" areas - sometimes a street corner apart. The downtown Loop is perhaps one of the nicest, safest downtowns of any major city. I have walked alone through those streets at all hours of the day without fear of being mugged, much less shot. This is a flare-up which will burn out in short order without the National Guard hitting the streets.

Like one respondent above wrote, if they are deployed, who gets to say when they go home? It's a slippery slope no one should step on.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think that what is going on in Chicago and what all they are proposing is a city under martial law. The military in all aspects were never to be used on American soil, except in cases of natural diseaster, catosphrey, or in the event of a war. It is a door that is carefully guarded, and one that requires that it only be opened in times where it is required.
Post Katrina was a good example of where the national guard was required.
The boarder between AZ and Mexico is another, where the citizens of the country are being threatened and the cartels are starting to get bolder and more dangerous on this side of the boarder.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i live southwest of the city, and if you think gang violence in chicago is bad right now, just wait. The Latin Kings are already referring to this summer as "The Summer of Blood".

I'm not in a gang, I'm a tattoo artist in a reputable shop, and they talk to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrParanoid
Chicago is not a "terrible, terrible" town. Like any major metropolitan area, there are "good" and "bad" areas - sometimes a street corner apart. The downtown Loop is perhaps one of the nicest, safest downtowns of any major city. I have walked alone through those streets at all hours of the day without fear of being mugged, much less shot. ...

I dunno, looks pretty rough...

spotcrime.com...

spotcrime.blogspot.com...

The city of Chicago has one of the most active maps on the SpotCrime website. We are pulling over 3,000 crimes a day directly from the Chicago Police Department's feed.

In addition to police data, we are mapping shootings, robberies, and other breaking news crime stories from Chicago's very own WGN-TV news station.

WGN-TV has their own SpotCrime map on their website. Check it out at: www.wgntv.com/news/spotcrime/.

Looks like the block around the loop is calmer than the rest. But go to the wgntv site, set the search for a year of shootings and robberies, and it looks like Bagdad.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Dbriefed]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

We will soon find out what is up with martial law. I beleive this will only get worse.
Remember a while back ago when people talked about martial law. Now you know why they are starting to send military people to help the police. The illegals in this country are getting rounded up. The gov't fears that this will get out of hand and could possibly be all out war on the streets. All illegals will be round up and only chaos will rule i fear in this situation. The illegals will not give up without a fight. The illegals will be rounded up and put into those camps and shipped by train back to the border. The gov't will put out even more troops when more states adopt this new law. You will see more of this in the comming months. peace.

new topics

top topics

join