It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

www.telegraph.co.uk

The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”

The Home Office is testing the cameras at two sites, one in Southwark, London, and the other A374 between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I don't know about you, but I think there's something fishy here. Spending tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars to shoot a speed camera into space?

My Spidey Senses are telling me that Britain's got something else in mind. I mean...wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just hire a few extra police (or hell, even civilians) and give them radar guns?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
as i read it it looks like they are going to use existing technology (GPS) not shoot more into space.

the technology already exists... my car GPS tells me when im speeding, even if it disagree's with my dashboard speedo...

watching from space is already there...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I would me more surprised if there was something else going on to be honest.
It seems the Government want to squeeze every last penny out of motorists, and putting a speed camera in space to monitor entire towns/cities at once is surely cheaper than the dozens of traditional speed cameras that would be required.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
That's a horrible article. This has nothing to do with tracking motorists from space. The reporter who wrote the article should be fired! This is just a couple of cameras on the ground reading number plate combined with some GPS added presumably to let them move the cameras around or something and figure out speed dynamically.

Paul

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
We do all know that Satellites orbit right? To retask a satellite to maintain its location directly over a specific area for the purpose of catching speeders doesn't seem particularly realistic. This endeavor would cost an astronomical amount of funding. Either something fishy is in play here or they are simply referring to existing GPS technology which has been at work for some time now.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The cameras calculate how long time it took for the vehicle to get from camera A to camera B and if you get there too soon you will be fined with speeding

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
they cant do that.....isnt there a law that states that speed cameras have to visible.

www.speedcameras.org...

they must be visible and only in accident blackspots....is there many accidents in space?

[edit on 27-4-2010 by scottscorpion]

new topics

top topics

join