It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

monsanto, agriculture, etc. . . why all the hate towards them?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
What happens when transgenic crops contaminate natural populations and farmers having nothing to do with the biotech companies have to pay royalties?

Aside from potential ecological effects we are essentially putting a license on staple crops.

There are recorded instances of GM maize reaching crops 50km away.

Sterility is will never be 100% reliable.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by seenitall]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It's just humanity going through another one of its phases . . . . . extinction.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Biodynamic and Organic Agriculture - FTW!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Here is a small list of films that may change your mind.

The Future of Food
Food Inc.
Patent For A Pig
The World According To Monsanto
What's Wrong With GMO'S?

You can find these all on YouTube. Food Inc. was actually shown in a lot of small movie theaters.

Link to information about GMO, FDA, Monsanto etc.

multinationalmonitor.org...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by TheRoadLessTraveled]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

- GMO Seed Prices Skyrocket and Justice Department Investigates
Monsanto for Antitrust Violations. www.earthfiles.com...
“In 2010 as farmers move out into their fields this year,
they will be planting the most expensive seeds they have
ever bought because of the genetically engineered traits. But,
the farmers are going to be wondering how well the seeds are going
to work?” - Charles Benbrook, Ph.D., Agricultural Economist

Monsanto not only sells its own brand of GE seeds, but licenses its patented genetic traits to hundreds of small seed companies, charging those other smaller companies to use Monsanto’s genetically patented traits. Many frustrated farmers and other critics say the licenses give Monsanto excessive control over the seed business – nearly a monopoly. Further, a Monsanto competitor – Dupont – argued in a recent lawsuit that Monsanto is trying to keep generic Roundup competition out of the market. Monsanto loses its Roundup Ready trait patent in soybeans in 2014 and that means rival companies will be free to produce cheaper versions that would save farmers money.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jssaylor2007
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

If any of you guys like to read i definitely recommend ordering "From the White House to the Hoosegow" by Gerald McCathern. It is an historical record of the American Agriculture Movement of the late 70's early 80's. If you can find it I highly recommend it. It is basically a first hand account of what was the American Farmer. I see where many of the people who have posted in opposition of me are coming from, and I agree with many of you. I just would like to point out that the small farm is a dying breed, and that we basically do anything we can to get by.

There may be hope for you yet. Since you are fond of reading, you MUST update your material, because you are woefully misinformed about the safety of GM crops. If you were even partially aware of the vast amount of scientific data regarding the dangers and health hazards, you wouldn't say that the positives outweigh the negatives. They don't.

Read this book - if you honestly care about this subject then it might change your mind.

And as for the OP, you are mistaken on a very fundamental point - GM crops are NOT tested before being put on the market. Your whole argument is flawed.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

there are no frankenfoods. again, give me an instance of a corn monster eating thousands of civilians.

Monsters come in many forms. The form being used by this arm of nwo is poison.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I am a farmer. I only use non-hybrid, non-GMO seeds. If you actually believe that Monsanto is looking out for you, I suggest you read the story about Starlite or Starlight corn.
If you decide to grow Monsanto seeds, you have to use their herbicides, pesticides and other products. I am fortunate because no one in my state uses Big Ag seeds. I am blessed to grow enough food to feed my large family and have never spent a dime on seeds. I could write a book about Monsanto and their tactics. I believe it was just last year that 50,000 Indian farmers comitted suicide mostly due to bad seeds and debts accumulated for buying products to raise these GMO products. Don't say or believe that the drought was the cause. That was the specific reason they used those seeds that used very little water
I farm successfully with no specialty chemicals or fertilizer. I manage the soil's pH and re-mineralize the soil. I may be a small farmer but my profit per acre is and has been much higher than farmers that use Monsanto products. It is not only Monsanto but a number of companies and countries that want to control pricing and availabilty.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Threads like this make it feel good to be part of ATS.

It was a great experience of pride and humility seeing the OP and every consecutive point THE OP tried to make systematically obliterated from every conceivable angle.

No one is fooled around here son this is ATS and Monsanto is one of the most despicable inventions ever conceived.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

The book you linked appears very interesting and got good reviews.

I have not read this book but it was recommended also..

[edit on 27-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
theres only about a nickels worth of wheat in a loaf of bread... food for thought there

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

My big beef with the modern Monsanto is the way they patent their seeds and force farmers off their land when they can find a breach of contract.

They also say on their website that they are a proponent of sustainable agriculture. I've never heard a more misleading statement in my life from a company of that stature.

If you can't save your own seed that isn't sustainable. If you can't afford to go back to the old ways because the pests caught up to the GMO resistances, that isn't sustainable. If you company goes under the country will not have the seed to feed the country. This is not sustainable. The company is a modern day Enron with almost zero accountability.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I do think the OP and his tag team partner are essentially trolling, because every thing they have said was debunked hardcore. With legit sources and good research.

If they were open to alternate possibilities, they would have at least LOOKED at the evidence and documentaries supplied by you folks.

But they obviously aren't even reading your links or watching the videos.

They are 100% convinced they are right about everything, and refuse to acknowledge any idea different.

It's pure ignorance because all the facts have been presented to them and they STILL REFUSE to ADMIT they were WRONG!

So I am just warning you guys, these are not average people seeking debate but instead people seeking to troll.

If this is the best counter Monsanto can come up with, GOOD, that means we are beating them hands down.

If the OP was not a troll, he would have read the links/watched the videos at the very least....just saying. It's embarrassing to watch....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Monsanto and it's various subsidiaries want to dominate the food market and the pesticide market. They are destroying small farmers via lawsuit and armies of attorneys. They are creating genetically mutated crops which will destroy our immune systems and reak havoc upon our bodies. 90% of all the soy crop in this country is Genetically mutated. 80% of the corn crop of this country is genetically mutated. By Monsanto. Varieties of plants are being decimated by Monsanto. Soon there will only be a couple of varieties of each species of plant...those that Monsanto markets. Monsanto makes plants that have pesticides inside the seed. You eat this. What will it do to you? Monsanto doesn't care. It's a Corporation and it's all about profits and how to corner the market and maximize profit. If people die eating mutated crops...oh well! Monsanto makes suicide seeds which are only good for one season, so you can't save seed from a previous crop, dry them and plant them next season. How do you fight this. Eat organic. Eat local. Talk to your farmers. Know how your food is raised. Raise your own food. Monsanto is just another blood sucking corporation.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well said.

LocoHombre, ATS members have gone out of their way to take part in your thread but you fail to even acknowledge or debate any of them/us.

If you do not want to be labeled as a troll (which I believe you are), take part in your own thread!.... people have gone out of their way to leave you links which they feel answer your thread's question:

"Why all the hate towards them [Monsanto]?"

Stop acting like Gollum from Lord of the Rings and answer other members, that is, beside your alter ego jssaylor.

Here is a new start for you, let's have a nice intelligent discussion on/about the facts in the following videos:

...and no strawman arguments.

Troll or not a Troll, we will let you make the choice; we wait for your timely reply.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Monteriano

Bless you and all Farmers like you. I do so appreciate all that you do. Thank you so much! Get your community behind you, educate them. Most people are clueless that they are eating genetically mutant food.

Namaste.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
Monsanto is a company that tries to create successful hybrids to sell to farmers, who in turn would sell it to food retailers. these hybrids have tolerances from everything to crop destroying diseases to herbicides/pesticides, tobeing drought tolerant.

Then you eat them. You can complain all day long but you can't make anyone else eat GMO's.

GMO = Genetically modified organism. In case you aren't aware, these have been linked to increases in cancer rates and all kinds of other nastiness in various studies that were NOT funded by the same companies who came up with the GMO in the first place.

Monsanto also creates crops that terminate after the first year and you have to buy a new crop every years instead of just re-planting from your own seed. And then this stuff gets into the wild and other farmers' fields and wipes out their own natural crop, and then Monsanto sues the farmer whose field was intruded upon by the mutant for using their product without paying.

I can't understand how anyone can know what Monsanto does and still support them.

Btw, if you are really a farmer, I think I understand your real issue with why people don't want anything to do with your mutant, cancer-causing crop.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Im not sure about now but America used to be the biggest exporter of food for how long? And We all lived just fine without GMO for how many years? But now we can't live without it and its all just a fantasy that GMO's are harmful? They are outlawed in most of Europe I believe for what reason? Dude do you have a monsanto monthly newsletter to read by your toilet or what? I'm beginning to think this thread was started because either-- 1. ingnorance that cannot learn or 2 someone needs points.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

ya know, i regret making this thread. i knew i was going to encounter plenty of hate but i am not a troll. i was just pointing out that they do try to feed the masses, but we are unwilling.

there are no frankenfoods. again, give me an instance of a corn monster eating thousands of civilians.

and plus, a company must have its products evaluated and deemed healthful before having its product go on the market.

ya know, maybe i'm a biased North Dakotan farmboy, but i know the work that goes into raising cattle, horses, crops, etc, which is waaaayyyy more than you people who sit in a cubicle the size of a pickup bed all day moaning and groaning about the world.

Monsanto has made it easier and more productive for our crops to grow. also, there are other companies that create other seeds. people i know by them all the time. hell, some even use their own seeds. never have i witnessed any of these people being screwed over by Monsanto.

yes, they did create AO, but, really. it was a wartime effort, and the US wanted chemical weapons.

DENY IGNORANCE!

OP, if your true intention is to seek the truth you will watch this video, if it is not then shame on you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

reply to post by kozmo

what creator?

yes exactly the hate that goes on. they really don't try to destroy the farmers. where do you get your info? Fox?

look, the amount of food needed to feed this populace is massive. Monsanto and other companies are trying to help meet those needs. plus, they obviously wouldn't put it on the market if it were deemed unhealthy or poisonous.

give me one instance of a giant corn monster that destroyed a city and consumed all its inhabitants. you can't, can you?

I got a better one for ya boss:
How about MONOPOLY! Many are being sued by Monsanto in effect, to steal their farms so the only seed company out there that will be able to provide jobs, sell seeds and the like is THE MONSANTO MONOPOLY.
Here in the US, we don't like monopolies we like choices. HR 875 is all about Monsanto's march to make ORGANIC FOODS ILLEGAL in the US.
Now, why in heck is it a good thing to make natural foods illegal unless you are one of those who believes that only certain people are allowed to make money and the rest of us need to just do what the company says.
In that case, I know some generic stuff you can take all day long. Doesn't mean that you'll like the effects, but hey, according to your logic and reasoning, you should be alright.
Light up the night dude, just don't take me with you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join