It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

monsanto, agriculture, etc. . . why all the hate towards them?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

en.wikipedia.org...

go read this too..

btw, we dry farm here to and we do the nations wheat supply, same with my garden, no problem here either, i do lettuce,tomatoes,beans legumes,corn,potato's and whatever i need..

[edit on 26-4-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

i'll say it again. urban sprawl is taking most of the land that COULD have been used for farmland and turning it into a concrete jungle.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Cities form around prosperous land. Phoenix, AZ was once a Mecca for Pima Cotton, but the larger the city grows, the more farmers are bought out to put a shopping mall, Wal-Mart, or suburban housing development in.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

yes, exactly. not many realize this, but it is the truth.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

So where were YOU meant to survive? If people didnt adapt, and change their environment to suit themselves then they wouldnt be so widespread. Their crops are part of this environment. I believe your argument just lost itself.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

great thinking. plus, we as humans are incredibly weak, worthless beings. we have no instincts, other than cry and suck, no defenses other than tools, and we have to create clothing to keep warm. not very good.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

That's just not true. There are a hell of a lot more acres of farm land then there are cities. Yes they grow where resources allow it.

The problem is ill management. This counts however for almost any problem in the world.. there is only money no profits, no change.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Alright, I will have to say the OP is not trolling, he and the other sound kind of okay, maybe quite ignorant but okay.

I grew up on a dairy farm and we had several cash crops also. After many years using all kinds of different chemical fertilizers and the new "technologies" we found that just because plant production increased, did not mean the food value of those crops increased. We found our fields to need more and more of the very chemicals to continue to get those yields.

Well my father did a lot of research and we scrapped the chemical way. Yes our production went down but guess what, the food value of those crops went through the roof. Sugar contents in the silos went up, the health of our dairy cattle went up, the milk production went up, so was it only correlative or wasn't it?

Sorry, ecologically friendly farming is the right way to go. The only thing we spread on our fields was the manure and we rotated crops.

Of course OP you need to use these GMO crops. This is because you probably do not rotate crops do you? I wonder what those fields will be like in about a decade? Using all that nice chemical fertilizer on your fields?

You do not watch the vids and think you are going to convince people here that you are not being insincere? I think not.

Let me ask you one very important question, do you have any worms in your fields? Any at all?

I would put money on it you do not. These mega farms are destroying the soil.

As for the most DESPICABLE thing that Monsanto has devised is the TERMINATOR seeds. Where the seeds will only produce for one year. The seed from the plants are sterile.

Yeah, that is a frelling good idea. Frelling ignorance!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Wow I just finished watching a documentary about food and good old Monsanto was on it. I for one wish I could farm my own foods and not depend on big grocery stores.

Monsanto patented its genetically altered seeds. Farmer who plant soy from Monsanto can't use seeds from the plants they grow to reseed their fields. They must rebuy all their seeds or face patent infringement law suits. Monsanto is more like mafia.

Take a look for yourselves here and watch FOOD INC.

Rhain

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ill management? The farmers/ranchers who are guilty of ill management are farming nor ranching anymore. Even with the massive amounts of subsidies farmers receive, it is near impossible to prosper while being in the agricultural field.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Yeah, see.... I didn't have genetic modification performed in utero to make me be able to withstand the fickle climate of Georgia.

Humans moved to areas that could withstand the growing of certain crops. Different areas of the world grew different types of food based on what was native to the area.

Humans are not plants and you cannot compare them biologically the way you are trying to.

You don't see very many people living at the south pole, now do you? That is because we aren't meant to survive that kind of climate. Neither are palm trees.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The farmers have nothing to do with it. They are not the ones to blaime.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

I love how you just from South Pole to palm trees. We arent talking about genetically modified palm trees made to withstand the permafrost of the South Pole... or are we? If there were no GM crops then welcome to the world of wheat. Wheat is the only thing that would grow in all of the great plains. The only cotton grown would come from the coastal areas, but that would only be when a badly timed hurricane or rain didnt completely ruin the year's crop. The commodities market would definitely be a different animal.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Maybe because they are sick twisted psychopaths for money who would let billions starve just so they could buy a larger multimillion dollar mansion.

In case you haven't heard,

Monsanto invented the pig.[?!?]

Well, not all pigs, just the really profitable ones. Nature can keep all the regular pigs, but if this company gets its way, Monsanto will own the prodigies.

In February 2005, Monsanto published multiple patent applications at the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. These proposed patents encompass nearly the entire lifespan of a pig destined for slaughter, from conception to selection.
www.naturalnews.com...

Monsanto is the biggest, fattest, most obscene pen of pigs ever imagined,

them and all the other companies that criminally patent both human & other pre-existing genes.

These are our birthrights & are in the public domain. Slavery is illegal, & so someone owning your genes is essentially a form of slavery.

That means a company could charge you money for using the genes you were born with. That is just sick.
Most foreign nations do NOT recognize patenting of human genes. They have a little better understanding of the good as well as the obscene-counterproductive use of patents.

By owning pre-existing genes, these capitalist pigs BLOCK RESEARCH that would have otherwise occurred.

Patents were designed to promote progress,
not block it.

The US patent office is completely out of whack.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by slank]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

you and your buddy loco are both wrong, why do you persist with this?

we have clearly shown you the error of your ways yet, here you are still spewing this GMO nonsense..why?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Really? You didn't understand the correlation I was making? ::sigh::

I'm not exactly the type of person that thinks this overabundance of commodities is a good thing so your argument of, "we can't feed the world with out GM crops" is null and void with me.

We survived before GM crops. We are not surviving too well with them. But you wouldn't know that because you are not reading or watching any of the information people here are giving you.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I agree we survived before GM crops. And we would survive without them. I believe Earth is overpopulated, and that is why we have had to resort to growing things the way we do now. I dont think our ideas are too far off, just that we are coming from a different point of view.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Never thought about the reality, cause that is exactly what is happening today and has been happening for a long time, that a small part of the people make use of almost all the resources ?

You will be surprised when you are one of the lucky half a billion people alive, when you realise that the mass consumers are still in power.

They simple bought them selves a little bit more time to exploit what's still there to exploit.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

If any of you guys like to read i definitely recommend ordering "From the White House to the Hoosegow" by Gerald McCathern. It is an historical record of the American Agriculture Movement of the late 70's early 80's. If you can find it I highly recommend it. It is basically a first hand account of what was the American Farmer. I see where many of the people who have posted in opposition of me are coming from, and I agree with many of you. I just would like to point out that the small farm is a dying breed, and that we basically do anything we can to get by.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Yes I know and that is not your or their fault.

It´s management. and economics.

A loaf of bread is still worth the same as a pack of butter. Just like it was a 100 years ago.

Don´t you think it´s weird that you have got to produce more. Yet you earn less ?
It's not like people stopped paying for their food. They are in fact paying more.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
No amount of fancy genetic modification and terminator seeds is gonna delay peak phosphates, so don't worry, Monsanto won't be around forever. Granted our population will be way over carrying capacity by then. Not to mention that most of these industrial agricultural farms are probably gonna be left with about zero soil fertility without these industrially made fertilizers. I imagine most of the US's great plains are gonna be straight up HARDPAN by the end of the century. Same goes for our Canadian prairies. Oh well, it's just humanity going through another of its phases

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join