It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

monsanto, agriculture, etc. . . why all the hate towards them?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
ok, just something that has been bothering me for quite some time.

I have noticed that on ATS, there seems to be a lot of hate towards ag and the like. (speaking of which, SkepticOverlord, could you please get rid of the animal rights ads?) Monsanto being one of the main recipients of this hate.

do you people know where your food comes from? if you guessed farms, you're absolutely right! did you hear that? farms. farms and ranches. we farmers and ranchers, especially on the family level, try to provide for an industrialized world, with the small amount of land given for it. urban sprawl is also quickly taking the land away. yet, we find ourselves at the focus of so much hate by PETA, APSCA, etc.

they find the worst footage they can and make it public. this footage is also fake. never have i ever met a farmer or rancher that treats his animals as cruelly as the ones depicted in their ads. reminds me of when i went to the National High School Finals Rodeo in Gillette, Wyoming, when i was but a lad. there was a PETA kiosk on location, and the were saying that we as cowboys and cowgirls, ought to be ashamed of ourselves for mistreating animals. yet, at the same time, they were shooting these students' horses with paintballs. how hypocritical! yet, many people still support them.

many people nowadays have no idea where their food comes from. they go to McDonald's and think a burger magically appears, and can not, i repeat CAN NOT distinguish a piece of broccoli from that of celery.

Monsanto is a company that tries to create successful hybrids to sell to farmers, who in turn would sell it to food retailers. these hybrids have tolerances from everything to crop destroying diseases to herbicides/pesticides, tobeing drought tolerant. they need to do this because, at the rate humanity is growing, the Earth will have to produce more food than it has in the last 10,000 years. yes that is ten thousand. they also support FFA, an organization of future agricultural leaders.

yet, Monsanto is the focus of so much hate talk. there is absolutely NO evidence showing that what they are creating are monsters. they are not creating Frankenweiners or Poultrygeists or whatever. they are merely trying to supply an ungrateful populace with the food it needs to thrive.

***NOTE***: i was NOT, in ANY WAY, paid or offered anything to write this.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Last time I checked, our Creator didn't put animal DNA in corn... but Monsanto did!
Monsanto has infected and infested thousands of acres of good food crops with gentically modified franken foods. Monsanto has created in labs absolute abominations of nature that we do not even begin to understand the dangers of, then they "persuade" the government o allow them to feed it to us before it has been tested.

Just look up what genetically modified soy, or gm corn, have done to lab mice... or people!

Finally, they have seen fit to use their power and money to destroy anyone who dares use any other seed stock other than those provided directly by them - going so far as to sue farmers attempting to use heirloom seeds on the grounds that the seeds had "Cross-pollinated" with their gm seed. In other words, we infected your crops with our poison so now you cannot use that seed... UNLESS you pay for them.

F**k Monsanto!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

here ya go, watch this docu..

twilightearth.com...

really, watch this movie then get back to us..k?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

what creator?

yes exactly the hate that goes on. they really don't try to destroy the farmers. where do you get your info? Fox?

look, the amount of food needed to feed this populace is massive. Monsanto and other companies are trying to help meet those needs. plus, they obviously wouldn't put it on the market if it were deemed unhealthy or poisonous.

give me one instance of a giant corn monster that destroyed a city and consumed all its inhabitants. you can't, can you?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I will offer up a link to a recent news story pertaining to only one tiny facet of the problem with Monsanto:

Is Genetically Modified Corn Toxic?

In addition to the film baddmove posted, I would suggest "Food Inc." as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

wow..you need to do a search on here AND some research...but still, go watch that movie, it might even wake you up some, we can always hope, right?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Yeah, seriously watch that documentary. A company that doesn't allow their own GM foods to be served in their own cafeterias? You talk about the small farmers, yet ignore how Monsanto f*cks those same farmes in the *ss.

Do some research before posting you b*ll# threads.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by The Cusp]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Here's a little more food for thought for ya,eat up!

article.wn.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
reply to post by kozmo

what creator?

yes exactly the hate that goes on. they really don't try to destroy the farmers. where do you get your info? Fox?

look, the amount of food needed to feed this populace is massive. Monsanto and other companies are trying to help meet those needs. plus, they obviously wouldn't put it on the market if it were deemed unhealthy or poisonous.

give me one instance of a giant corn monster that destroyed a city and consumed all its inhabitants. you can't, can you?

What's the point??? This is abviously a troll and not a thread. If you were truly interested in having a conversation on the matter, you would have bothered to at least google it before you created the thread.

Nope, I see your agenda and purpose and I've no desire to get into it with you. There is plenty to hate about Monsanto... if you care to get past the propaganda.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If you're concerns about Monsanto are only because of it's GM crops and such business, let's not forget about chemical warfare. Agent orange? Why don't people know more about it's use in the 60's in vietnam?

Look up dioxin (a name given to agent orange, although, AO is a combo of chemicals, containing the chemical dioxin) and vietnam on youtube.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well there is substantial evidence that leads to believe morgellon's syndrome is linked to GMOs. It is utterly stupid to believe you can change the DNA of what you eat without having it affect you in the end. All food related illnesses like BSE started with people saying "There is no proof that feeding # to animals would result in harm for humans"...

You go eat Monsanto bio-corn for ten years and you'll be dead from some unknown illness. For sure big corporations won't admit and will probably cash on it by selling drugs.

And no Monsanto is no trying to feed the planet, we don't need them for that. Monsanto tries to make money by replacing existing crops (which are free) by GMO crops (patent owned by Monsanto).

Yes, Monsanto is trying to own the world's food supply. And if you really believe what you say it shows you haven't done much research on them before you decided to post that.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Yea Kozmo,/mynameisjuan.. i think you are right on spot here, Troll baited me and i fell for it,
whatever , this gmo topic has always pissed me off to no end, thanks guys.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Wow, this is the easiest proved topic on the entire site, for the sake of your perspective. I take some offence at you coming here in this vein because it's a waste of peoples time, and did you look into anything before you posted? Google is free. But before that becomes a personal attack, let me consider that maybe you have the best and most noble reasons in your mind for bringing that up. And let's hope that isn't a paycheck. Monsanto is a dollor-bottom-line corporation that has the blood of many people on its hands in their efforts to raise shareholder dollars. They have an aggressive third to fifth world agricultural policy that forces compliance. The GMO crops are dna-altering, proven, and have unbeknownst effects for us in the future. They are the most sickening corporation on the face of the planet in many a persons opinion. But let's not let that blind us to smaller ones.

We know it's huge: Monsanto, a history
www.gmwatch.org...

Millions against Monsanto
www.organicconsumers.org...

Monsanto owns the FDA*
naturalfoodsmerchandiser.com...
* - perhaps others could locate better material than this, based on actual company ownership info.

Monsanto's Global Pollution Legacy
www.sourcewatch.org...'s_Global_Pollution_Legacy

Monsnto's Genetically Engineered crops may cause disease (we won't know for a decade or two, will we)?
www.globalresearch.ca...

Would you like an imploded economy where no corporations exist, and no jobs exist for you? - Yes we would! Yes, we most certainly would. Make it so.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Guys i would just like to give the OP a standing ovation.

Growing up in the agriculture environment, and being a part of the change that has occurred throughout agriculture in the past 15 years I would like to say that Monsanto, Bayer, and the many other companies that are pushing breakthroughs in Ag-sciences are doing all this for the good of the producer (small and large farmer) and the consumer (all of the naysayers who know no better). I admit I am a bit biased toward the farmers POV, and I have researched the topic in length, and there are things I am concerned about. One thing being the terminal gene. I believe the terminal gene is a great thing here in the U.S.A. since we have a largely Capitalist market, but in other countries where Bayer and Monsanto market their seeds, such as India, this only hurts their farmers. Where I live the main crops are cotton, wheat, corn, and soybeans, and without genetic modifications many of these crops would be unable to prosper where I live. So once again
to the OP and I would love to hear your discussion to this fairly new ATS members post.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
ya know, i regret making this thread. i knew i was going to encounter plenty of hate but i am not a troll. i was just pointing out that they do try to feed the masses, but we are unwilling.

there are no frankenfoods. again, give me an instance of a corn monster eating thousands of civilians.

and plus, a company must have its products evaluated and deemed healthful before having its product go on the market.

ya know, maybe i'm a biased North Dakotan farmboy, but i know the work that goes into raising cattle, horses, crops, etc, which is waaaayyyy more than you people who sit in a cubicle the size of a pickup bed all day moaning and groaning about the world.

Monsanto has made it easier and more productive for our crops to grow. also, there are other companies that create other seeds. people i know by them all the time. hell, some even use their own seeds. never have i witnessed any of these people being screwed over by Monsanto.

yes, they did create AO, but, really. it was a wartime effort, and the US wanted chemical weapons.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Not only are the possible side effects not known. ( It could cause young healty people dropping dead all of a sudden. )
They replace an existing plant with a hybrid. The effect of this hybrid when it mingles with nature are unknwon. I they are not good. Nature could not be able to fix it because the plant is artificially made.

A monopoly on food is always a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

thank you. that is exactly my point. without the innovations in ag sciences, food would not prosper in the land it now does. the people who hate it don't know this. they think there fod comes from a magical room in Walmart/McDonald's/BK/DQ/Albertson's/Cashwise Foods/etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA!!! Oh my sweet Jesus, did you know who the audience was before you posted this? Either you're a troll or someone so... so, well, "not the sharpest tool in the shed" that you had no Earthly idea what befell you when you hit "submit."

For myself? I will simply say that if you honestly believe that Monsanto wouldn't put anything on the market they even thought was "unhealthy," you sir have yet to learn the definition of "profit margin."

Oh, and this is coming from someone who loves steaks so rare they're still mooing

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well Loco they are obviously a bunch of city pricks who have no clue what a combine, gin, compress or a mill are
its a lost cause, but I appreciate the post.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

ya know, maybe i'm a biased North Dakotan farmboy, but i know the work that goes into raising cattle, horses, crops, etc, which is waaaayyyy more than you people who sit in a cubicle the size of a pickup bed all day moaning and groaning about the world.

You are not really as prejudice as this looks, right ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join