It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Response to Stephen Hawking Comments - April 26, 2010

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I agree with Steven Greer on this one. I think Hawking should have kept his Mouth/Speaker shut.

It's dis-info and it's not been put out there now for no reason at all. Look between the lines.......

[edit on 26-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
**DOUBLE POST**

[edit on 26-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Can you produce a cogent argument as to why it is "disinfo" other than the fact you don't agree with Hawking?

Dr. Hawking has done more to help ufology with a few dozen words than Stephen Greer has in over a decade. It is unfortunate people like you and others in this thread are too wrapped up in your own beliefs and Greer's to see that.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What does "dis-info" even mean anymore? Is it just a catch-all for someone who says something that isn't "Yes, aliens exist, yes they're visiting, yes the government knows/is involved/is probably mostly aliens themselves"?

Hawking made an informed opinion about what he considers the smarter, safer route for humanity. Wanting to know really reeeeeeally bad doesn't make it right, safe, or smart to broadcast everything about us to whatever, or whomever is out there to listen. Maybe they're safe, happy, and just want to get along, but maybe they don't.

How many people here stick their hands into the mouth of every single dog they meet, expecting to be licked rather than bitten?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Steven Hawking Is arguably the most brilliant Cosmologist/Mathematician since Isaac Newton.
To even consider comparing Dr. Hawking to Greer is ludicrous and further insult beyond rational comprehension of who Dr. Hawking is as a scientist.

If Dr. Hawking surmises by his meticulous statistical and empirical observations that out of the incalculable multitude of stars in a multiverse of Galaxies, other life can exists in
it. Boys and Girls....take it to the bank! Dr. Hawking can do that kind of statistical calculation in his sleep. This kind of math is child play compared to his mathematical depection of
an 11 dimensional (at last count) Universe.
I know that this subtlety is lost among the balanced checkbook
challenged among us. We are all (Greer included) intellectual and mathematical imbeciles compared to Dr. Hawking.

This from his esteemed predecessor:
Newton's forth law of Reasoning:

"In experimental philosophy, propositions gathered from phenomena by induction should be taken to be either exactly or very nearly true notwithstanding any contrary hypotheses, until yet other phenomena make such propositions either more exact or liable to exceptions."

plato.stanford.edu...

Dis-info my ass.

Edit to fix quote

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Well i'm entitled to my "own beliefs" just as you are, just as we all are. Thats why i said what I said, because that's what I believe. I don't have to prove that.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

We are all (Greer included) intellectual and mathematical imbeciles compared to Dr. Hawking

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I really respect the guy but it's not very logical to me. While I agree the numbers indicate alien life.. we do not have the numbers for advanced alien life nor do we have any reason to assume they'd be barbaric like us. If you have actual long distance space travel you would have been evolving technologically for a quite awhile (perhaps a thousand years) and have discovered co-operation rather than conquest is always more beneficial for the overall group. The only kind of species I can think of (based on what have here of course) that would allow violence, social co-operation, would still allow for space travel yet be xenophobic enough to attack other species would be insects but the likelihood that insect like species have evolved enough to achieve space travel would be very slim. If they did it would give them quite an edge however. It could be argued that they might just be hungry carnivours but vaccuum sealing prey for long space voyages would be impractical.

If they wanted to exploit planets themselves I believe there would be plenty of non habited worlds to choose from. Intelligent life evolving here was a fluke- we could have just stayed in the trees or become extinct.

edit. There are rumours that the greys are clones and using humans to refresh themselves genetically but thats not so bad compared to Hawking's doom and gloom.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Greer assumes aliens wouldn't want Earth's "meager" resources, but he doesn't take into account Earth's most abundant resource - people. What if aliens turned out to be cannibalistic in nature, feeding off other species? What if they saw humanity as a "delicacy" to be imported and served on their homeworld?

Remember that Twilight Zone episode where the aliens came and offered to cure disease and fix the world's problems in exchange for taking people on a ride to visit their planet? Yeah... it may not be so far fetched after all.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Well i'm entitled to my "own beliefs" just as you are, just as we all are. Thats why i said what I said, because that's what I believe. I don't have to prove that.

You made a statement of fact and a pretty damning one at that, accusing Hawking of not only being mercenary but deceiving the public. Now you are equivocating. I did not ask for proof but a cogent argument.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

FYI....Dr. Hawking fixed Einstein's math, and has nearly solved
the problem he gave up on.But he did have to pay up on a bet about going inside the event horizon of a black hole. Quantum entanglement and transfer of information to another universe....Oh...and a reciprocal quote from a visionary..I couldn't resist.

"If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong."
Arthur C. Clarke

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
We all have our own opinions as ive stated. My opinion is that Mr Hawking has no better idea of what ET's would be like than the next man on the street.

How could he?

It's 50-50, will they be evil, will they be great.

I think they will be great. Maybe I should have worded my first post slightly different, I admit that.

IMHO, Mr Hawking thinks he is correct, but I disagree with the very clever man.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

He may be good at cosmology and astrophysics but that doesn't mean he's just as good at astrobiology.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

We all have our own opinions as ive stated. My opinion is that Mr Hawking has no better idea of what ET's would be like than the next man on the street.

How could he?

It's 50-50, will they be evil, will they be great.

I don't think it's 50 50 anyway. He's trying to apply maths to something that has not even been counted. We only have ourselves and other earthlings to base theories on.

oh and some fossils of alien microbes.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Fair enough Sir,

I dont know the odds, but it just frustrates me that intelligent life is bound to be out there and we are not all crying out to make contact.

I believe the way we are going, the human race will eventually be doomed, so why not give it a try?

Our signals have been zooming out into space for decades anyway, its not like we would be impossible to find for an advanced species.

It could be the greatest thing in earths history, or the worst. I've got my grandfather gambling gene in me, so i'd risk it all for the 'greatest'.

Call me crazy, but im sure many others would agree.

Hey, I know we all have our own opinions and i respect the other way of thinking. Its calm. collected and cautious......but I feel otherwise.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I dont know the odds, but it just frustrates me that intelligent life is bound to be out there and we are not all crying out to make contact.

We have very Earthly concerns; contacting aliens who may be so far away that conversations take place over hundreds or thousands of years is not a priority when you have a hungry child to feed or diseases to cure. But for those who make it their life's work, kudos to them.

Our signals have been zooming out into space for decades anyway, its not like we would be impossible to find for an advanced species.

Despite the decades of broadcasting, our signals only have a limited range. Television and radio signals fade away after two light years, barely half-way to the nearest star.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I wasn't disagreeing with your maths but Hawking's. I am way out of my depth though as I really suck at maths.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Despite the decades of broadcasting, our signals only have a limited range. Television and radio signals fade away after two light years, barely half-way to the nearest star

I get what you are saying, but if a species were out there who were hundreds of thousands of years more advanced than us, it would make things much easier in regard to seeing/hearing us with their technology.

I'm always hopeful, and I feel we live in frustrating times of War,Poverty, disease, disasters, and I think we are in need of something to pick us up. (no pun intended :lol

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

No worries, my maths are the same! Maybe Maths can be used to roughly calculate how many habitable planets may be out there, but as to whether they are hostile ET's or not?

It can not be done. We dont know how big the universe is, or universes are!!

We dont know what sort of environment species could adapt to or evolve in.

Yes, the arguement can be swung the other way with what im saying, but at the end of the day, we may be forced to try and find life elsewhere anyway.

Lets start now.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
If "they" (Clifford Stone said 57 different species) were hostile or with evil intentions , we already would be swept out by this planet.
However the stament of Mr. Hawking is important to debate publicly on MSM about this important matter.
The knowledge moves away the Fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join