It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about an ATS "funny-pages/comix/cartoon" space?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah, so...like the thread title says, I just had an idea (amazingly enough) that maybe seems like it could be at worst slightly enjoyable...and then on the wild unlikely success end-of-the-spectrum, maybe the site and/or some extra-clever content-producing member might somehow make a little money as a result of this suggestion...(none of my business, I'm just thinking out loud)...

The idea being, obviously, that ATS should establish some kinda space for the equivalent of the "Sunday-funny-papers", i.e. member-generated graphic-art cartoon/comic-strip material...Y'all would know better than me whether such a thing ought to be a forum, or a thread like the space-opera-working-thread, or a periodic recurring contest every 90 days, like for the haikus or the short stories...

My one anticipation/further-suggestion about this funny-pages-area, if adopted, is that I expect the comics and cartoons produced will naturally fall into three distinct conceptual piles...political-and-nonfunny (like most mopey Sunday newspaper editorial cartoons)...political-but-yet funny (like the theoretical description of Doonesbury, right?)...and then finally senseless/nonpolitical/definitely-funny (like The Far Side or Dilbert or whatever (think of all the funny cartoons about UFO aliens we ought to be able to dredge out from the depths of our shared ATS-cultural-pool, the mind reels...))...But anyways I was thinking, maybe it'd be better to separate the political from the apolitical ones, slightly, and not dish them all out in the exact same spot, just so that those who just want a pure escapist laugh wouldn't have to scroll directly through a bunch of political-material-provocations to get to it...Just a thought...

(I remember those caption contests for Dave Rabbit...those were good and enjoyable...I bet there's enough members who are smart, and funny, and artistically-undiscouraged, possibly someone could begin their brilliant career doing cartoons here on ATS, the whole thing could take off like a house on fire, resulting in a "The Cartoon Humor of ATS" coffeetable book for sale at Christmastime, et cetera, et cetera...movie deals, speaking tours, T-shirts...hee-hee-hee...)

[edit on 26-4-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

CX

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm all for a bit of humour, if theres anywhere that needs it now and again it's this place.

By that i mean there is so much serious discussion here, it's nice to relax and have a laugh to take your mind off it all.

If the idea above is too much to do, i'd even be happy with a monthly caption competition. One of the staff could pick the photo, and the members could submit the captions in one thread.

Great idea anyway, thanks.

CX.

[edit on 26/4/10 by CX]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We have it :

Comics

or

Jokes Puns and Pranks

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Wow, now I feel stupid...I even searched "ATS cartoons, then "BTS cartoons", didn't see it on the first page of results...and then I saw "Comics" on BTS but I thought it was talking about exterior real-world material...there was where my methodology failed, I should have been less hasty, as always...sorry about that...

[edit on 26-4-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There is actually a place for anything, and everything in its place.......

Finding the place to put it is just hunt and peck now because I've yet to find an easy reference to all available forums.:bnghd:

Don't feel stupid, most people run into this problem at some time.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Why dont you do it then?

We dont jump through hoops here.

new topics

top topics

join