It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium's government collapses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Belgium

rawstory.com

Belgium's government collapsed on Monday after the country's king accepted the premier's resignation, threatening divisive elections in the run-up to taking over the European Union's chair.

King Albert II accepted prime minister Yves Leterme's offer to throw in the towel -- a third such desperate decision by the 49-year-old -- after strained negotiations between Dutch- and French-speaking parts broke down.

"The king has accepted the resignation of the government," said a short statement, following a failed bid to resolve longstanding animosity between the different linguistic memb
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-4-2010 by devildogUSMC]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have to admit I am a bit confused by this and I am hoping someone can help me achieve a little clarity. Will there be no government? Will it be a monarchy? Will there be a new government. Will there be a new system of government? Will they still be in the E.U.? I don't understand. Do they have any sort of state government? Will there be services cut off completely and no laws being enforced?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think it has something to do with the wave of triangle-shaped UFOs spotted over Belgium in the 90s. Perhaps those in power aren't really people. Uhhrrr???

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
NO!!!! NOT THE WAFFLES!!!

Nah.. I doubt anything will change. Just a formality for the minister to resign so they can hold a new general election I'm guessing.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

And this apathetic surrender monkey is going to be president of the E.U.?!

He can't even sort out domestic squabbles, what use is he going to be as head of the E.U.!

Blimey...someone must owe him a big favour!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hi there,

Belgian guy here.

For those interested, the reason why it collapses (agaiin) is because of this problem:

www.haviko.org...

I really doubt this problem will be solved as flemish and french people are getting more and more annoyed with each other.

I'm from the flemish part (woha, lucky me!). We will probably have new elections on 6 or 13 june. So we can start all over again... it's really stupid!

My opinion: please split our country! This is the moment. It just doesn't work (we have 3 governments, flemis, federal, and french). One is enough!

We're making fools of ourselves abroad, isn't it?

Regards

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I live in Belgium, I'll explain you some problems:
You have a group of people in the governement wich represent the Belgian capital and adjacent provinces.
Everyone in this group has the right to vote in an adjacent province, but the ones who live in the adjacet province can only vote for their only province.
The problem is that they haven't the same opinion in ways of economy, budget, education.

The governement has already fallen before, we had re-elections but it was with the same ministers.

We have 3 regions in Belgium: Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels.
The Flemings have to cede most of their earnings to the Wales, because they are with more and have a higher percentage of unemploment.

I'm not english but I did my best, don't flame for spelling mistakes.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I notice my link doesn't work...

Here are 2 more for people who want to know why our government collapsed twice in the last 2 years

inflandersfields.eu...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The whole issue is so stupid!

Belgium is one country,
either act like one country
and let everyone, be it french or dutch, vote for whoever the hell they want (freedom of opinion!). If a dutchie wants to vote for a french politician, let him. If a frenchie wants to vote for a dutch politician, let him, no matter where they live.
We are obligated to vote, but who you can vote on depends on where you live, that doesn't sound right at all...

or, the second option: split the country and let this mess be over with.

I don't know why it's taking 4 years to solve BHV. The public is fedup with it, they don't want to hear about it anymore... most probably stopped caring. It's only the politicians on both side of the language border that keep fighting each other over this, demanding land and money from the other in return for a few votes that they will loose.

top topics

join