It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona vandals smear swastika made of refried beans into Capitol doors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
rawstory.com...

Vandals smeared a swastika made of refried beans into the glass doors of Arizona's State Capitol building, police in Phoenix told local media Monday.

"While it first looked like mud on the doors, it turned out be refried beans," reported the AZFamily.com Web site, which also asserted that the vandalism was "sparked by the newly signed anti-illegal-immigration law." The site reports:

Capitol police arrived on the scene at about 6 a.m., after a swastika was found smeared on the glass doors of the House and Senate buildings. On the sidewalk, beans were used to write "AZ=Nazi," again with a swastika.

It's not clear when exactly the vandalism happened, but police believe it was some time overnight.

"That is what happens when there is so much fear and there is so much disappointment," Gustavo Ramirez, a protester from California, told AZFamily.com. "The laws that have been passed, they are Nazi laws. They are not considering humanity. They are a crime against humanity."

This seems a bit of a hyperbolic political statement but I can still see how Hispanics might interpret the new AZ law as singling them out as the new right wing scapgoat.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It doesn't make sense to me.

From what I hear the bill is against illegal immigrants, not "Hispanics".

BTW Hispanic means Spanish. Of which there are few in AZ.

Most of the Latinos are Mexicans not Hispanics. Mexicans are a huge mix with a lot of native american roots.

Why does everyone have to make this about race anyways? It isn't. Most Mexican decent people in AZ are legal citizens.

And many of those legal citizens are very angry because they had to jump through hoops to earn their citizenship. Now these freeloaders are coming and getting everything without having to do anything for it.

I don't know a single Mexican-American who supports illegal immigration. In fact most of these guy's I know sound 10x as racist and bitter as any white dude I ever heard complain about it.

And of course not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico I know this, there are tons of Asians and Europeans sneaking over as well. But in Arizona, it is most certainly a border issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Probably the most any of them knows about how Nazism was from watching Hogan's Heroes!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm sorry I didn't realize you already made a thread about this when I made mine. S&F. I will put a link to yours.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Darned Bean Smearers!
Damn them for this bean smearing.
Waste those beans!

Why are beans used?(sorry im in the UK,)
Is it a mexican thing or something?
Why not use paint?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That's kind of funny. I wonder if gunpowder filled tortillas might be next in this escallating protest.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
It doesn't make sense to me.

From what I hear the bill is against illegal immigrants, not "Hispanics".

No, it isn't that you don't understand, its that you refuse to listen to the facts. The bill allows for police to stop anybody at any time over suspicion that they are illegals. You have over a million american born hispanics/latinos in Arizona that will be harassed on a daily basis over their ethnic identity. Can you imagine having to be stopped by authorities day in and day out constantly asked for your 'papers please'?

Supporters of this bill continue to insist this is against illegals, that if you oppose this bill you support the illegals when the issue of the bill has little to nothing to do with illegals themselves. To insist this bill will only affect illegals will be to ignore how many american latinos and hispanics will unfairly fall under the probe on a daily basis.

Hispanic is of relation to spanish speaking people, to the Iberian penninsula. It is socially viewed as those of latinos, those who speak spanish specifically. I dont see how that correction brings anything to the thread here.

Why does everyone have to make this about race anyways? It isn't. Most Mexican decent people in AZ are legal citizens.

Exactly, which completely contradicts your argument. You insist this bill targets only illegals when it paints a broad brush for police officers to demand papers from anybody that appears suspiciously illegal. They dont need any reasonable evidence to demand papers from people, all they have to do is suspect and they free to require papers. Legal hispanics and Latinos WILL be affected by this bill, one american born Latino was already taken in because he did not carry his birth certificate? His SSN was not enough neither was his drivers licence?

You people continue to DENY that this will have any affect on legal citizens when it is blatantly obvious it already has.

I don't know a single Mexican-American who supports illegal immigration.

I don't know a single Mexican-American who supports it either, I don't know a single Mexican-American who likes the idea of having to carry papers all around to constantly prove their identity on a daily basis and be harassed. I know plenty of people who are against the bill and have been against illegal immigration.

To be AGAINST illegal immigration does NOT mean you have to support this bill.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

These vandals can be doing something more productive in rallying their own to get out and vote for 2010. Obviously the Republicans decided to do this for election time at the expense of latino Arizonans and the Democrats have done BS to move to kill this law on arrival. Its time they send a message and continue protesting.

Either way the bill itself will do little to nothing to address the illegal situation facing Arizona. Many conservatives argued that it was due to the inaction of the Obama administration that forced them to pass this bill, thats absolutely garbage. This problem has faced the Southern states for decades and while Arizonan state politicians were too busy supporting oil wars and sending troops there, the issue grew to this point. You cannot blame the inactions of your own politicians the inaction of others over passing a bill that only divides.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

No, it isn't that you don't understand, its that you refuse to listen to the facts. The bill allows for police to stop anybody at any time over suspicion that they are illegals.

They already stop people for practically nothing here in the States.

Ive been pulled over a dozen times FOR NOTHING.

Then I drove away with NO TICKETS or anything!

So Yes I disagree with the Police State BS, but it already happens everywhere. You gotta admit that.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Hispanic is of relation to spanish speaking people, to the Iberian penninsula. It is socially viewed as those of latinos, those who speak spanish specifically. I dont see how that correction brings anything to the thread here.

You are wrong.

I speak Spanish and I am not Hispanic.

They are called Mexicans. Not Hispanics(Spaniards). Get your facts straight.

In the other thread yesterday I also said "This bill is not acceptable this is not the USSR", so again you are assuming things.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

They already stop people for practically nothing here in the States.

Did police have the right to stop you before while you walking down the street without any reason? How do you feel about police stopping gun owners to constantly show their papers? Tell me did police have the right to harass you for papers on a daily basis over the way you look? Over your appearance? I was under the impression that was against the law and the rights of american citizens? This bill opens that wide open.

Ive been pulled over a dozen times FOR NOTHING.

I have never for the life of me been stopped by a police officer while walking down the street to the shops. They had no reason to stop me, they had no right to. There is nothing against the law walking down the street to the grocery store and you should not need to be harassed for I.D every time you walk out in public.

Oh wait you were PULLED over? This wasnt a casual stroll down the street was it? You were not stopped in a Walmart were you? Did cops ever come to your house to demand you present 'your papers'?

Then I drove away with NO TICKETS or anything!

So essentially you dont mind police having the right to stop you DAY in and DAY out for you to constantly defend your citizenship? You'd have me believe that this is what happens to you in anycase?

but it already happens everywhere. You gotta admit that.

Not on the basis of your ethnic backround, not on a daily basis, and police did not have the right to require I.D from you walking down the street without evidence of unlawful doing. This bill opens that up wide open.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Great post, Southern Guardian I wish I could give you more stars. I know Arizona legislators are frustrated and like the three other states bordering Mexico, have asked for more federal help in securing the border - that is the responsibility of the federal government with out a doubt. I think that this particular piece of legislation was ill conceived, sloppy and is largely an act of drama meant to elicit controversy and garner this kind of attention and unfortunately extremist and racist reactions like this are a part of it.

I think it is wrong to legislate for dramatic effect and I think Gov. Jan Brewer is very[[[dramatic]]] and so inexperienced in leadership that things in Arizona are going to be very volatile until she is replaced by someone more competent and less divisive. Oh and forget about Kyl and McCain, they should be responding right now, trying to provide some leadership and what to they have to say on this?

Southern Arizona Rep. Giffords has been very responsive and proactive specifically in trying to get better emergency communications and cell phone towers in rural Southern Arizona (yeah, I know cell phone companies have no legal obligation to serve rural communities) but this is very important and needs to be addressed as a national security issue, a federal issue and she is not getting much response or help from the feds either.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I speak Spanish and I am not Hispanic.

Im sorry what is this? I just don't care anymore. Socially hispanics are often lumped up with Latinos. Hardly anybody cares what it was 'meant to mean' or to 'whom it mean'. What are you trying to act as if you know more about the situation culturally? This argument has little to nothing to do with the thread to so lets move on. You know who and what whaaa was addressing. I know plenty of hispanics who are indistinguishable to your typical illegal Mexican. I know plently of hispanics who are Mexicans.

Moving along.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have plenty of friends here in NM that refer to themselves as "Hispanic"
I think they probably know what they are more than some "gringo"

Anyway, I think this bill will eventually bite the GOP in AZ in the butt if a concerted effort by the "Latinos" to get out the vote especially if the Catholic Church gets involved and I'm sure they will!! Interesting times!

re....Hispanic...www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Agreed! This may be a huge get out the vote opportunity for the Democrats in Arizona. I think I may have to attend Mass this weekend and see what's going on and hear what's being said in out in parking lot afterwards, that's the best part of Sunday Mass anyway around these parts.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You are so right.
Been pulled over plenty, myself.

PROBABLE CAUSE, is the reason anyone can get pulled over,ie. failure to signal, erratic driving,suspicious behavior , ( your word against the cops.)
( guess who's word the courts take)

REASONABLE SUSPICION, leads to futher investigation. Which can lead to, being held, not under arrest. ANYONE, without proper I.D.

Law enforcement has been using these practices for a while, and the color of your skin has nothing to do with it.
Even if it did, you can't prove it.
It's your word against the cops.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Thanks for the support but I must correct you on one point. Arizonan legislators were not 'frustrated' to the point where they passed this bill. Its election time and they passed this bill knowing full well its ineffectiveness to gain attention and votes. After 2010 it will not matter whether this bill ends up as a complete failiure, they got their votes.

You gotta ask yourself what happened to these Arizonan legislators and these representitives including senators McCain and Kyl during the Bush administration when the illegal problem was still this bad? Oh yes, they were too busy voting the Iraqi national guard as terrorists and sending 150,000 troops there. Senator Kyl himself has the nerve to argue the passing of this bill was the Federal governments fault even though he refused to support withdrawal from Iraq years before. He wants troops on the border, but he refused to withdraw troops from Iraq or Afghanistan? His a hypocrite, but likewise its politics as usual and he knows this bill will score him points.

You gotta ask yourself what happened to the border plan under the Bush administration when they held majority? Ah yes, I forgot again! They were too busy with their wars! What about the Clinton administration when the Republicans held majority? Ah yes, they were too busy with Kosovo and charging Clinton with adultery. Right. This is all the Obama administrations fault. What a way for Arizonan politicians to shift blame while pandering for 2010.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I have plenty of friends here in NM that refer to themselves as "Hispanic"
I think they probably know what they are more than some "gringo"

OMG you just called me a gringo??

You have no idea what race I am.

Holy moly. Deny ignorance? Not today I suppose...

This is a perfect example of the "leftist" mentality (and also the right wing mentality but that is another discussion).

Since I disagree with you, I must be a racist white guy huh. How ignorant and just a very sad argument.

And I am 100% correct about the differences between Hispanics(Spanish) and Mexicans.

"Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that originally denoted a relationship to the ancient Hispania (geographically coinciding with the Iberian Peninsula).[note 1] During the modern era, it took on a more limited meaning, relating to the contemporary nation of Spain."
en.wikipedia.org...

And anyone calling Mexicans Hispanic needs to read a freaking dictionary. It's complete utter ignorance.

This is common place though. People will call Koreans, Vietnamese, or Japanese people "Chinese" quite often. It's sad because telling them apart is usually quite easy.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Hmmmm...I think you and I may agree that these three named Republicans in Arizona are insufferable drama queens on the national stage. I have read a fair amount about the deliberations and Jan Brewer's "leadership" involving the state budget last year...her fellow Republicans are having a real hard time with her too, she's all drama, bluster no skill.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Honestly anyone who thinks good old legal hispanics are going to get harassed day in and day out are sadly very mistaken and have never been to Arizona.

It is VERY easy to spot out illegal mexicans because they tend to hang out in huuuuuge groups at gas stations by there little ghetto neighborhoods they set up and they harass the hell out of people in work trucks. They try to flag you down, get in front of your truck so you almost hit them, then yell at you for work. It is very annoying and the police seem like they can't do anything about it.

Its to the point where you can tell if someone is illegal just by speaking to them in english, if they can't tell what the hell you are saying they probably aren't legal.

It is very annoying ordering something at a fast food restaurant and it takes like 30 minutes because the idiot can't understand that I want 3 tacos and a grilled stuffed burrito.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join