It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FN SCAR-L anyone buy one yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I know these rifles are pricey at around $2,500 which puts them at double the cost of a Colt 6920, but we're talking FN here, so you know they'll work.

Wondered if anyone has had the opportunity to shoot or even handle one yet, and if so what your impressions were.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Here is a link for anyone who does not know what your talking about. en.wikipedia.org...

I personally like the FN FAL and have always considered it a solid piece of hardware. Similar to the HK G3A3/4. en.wikipedia.org...

I am a big fan of those models, and also their design shape is very appealing to me.

Here are some videos of diff versions of the SCAR.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I don't think the up graded model, SCAR 17S will be available until September.
This maybe the best of the best.
IMHO

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Per the FN website

www.fnhusa.com...

These guns are only for Law Enforcement or Military. Where are you able to get them?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

The semi-auto only versions are freely available from any dealer, take a look on www.gunbroker.com there's quite a few out there right now.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I was passing up on a SCAR so I could get an ACR. Then I read the ACR is going to be just as expensive as the SCAR.

Well, screw that. I can get an MSAR and a Kriss for about the same price as the SCAR or the ACR.

Plastic shouldnt cost so much.

Maybe if I win the lottery or fall ass-backwards into some expendable cash I'll get one.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would get the SCAR heavy, chambered in .308 if I were to get one. More range, stopping power and more available ammo than .223 IMO. Someone said plastic should be cheap, or something along those lines, plastic is a very broad term these days. The polymers used in the SCAR and ACR are at the pinnacle of plastic technology. In some cases the polymers are stronger than steel when reinforced with glass fibers, kevlar mats, carbon filaments and the like. Stronger, lighter and more corrosion resistant thank you polymers!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When I was perusing my buying (eventually settled on a PS-90) I handled a SCAR. I didn't like the odd weight it had to it. Like it wasn't balanced. Dunno just my weirdness. Never shot it though. The SpecOps like it so it couldn't be too bad.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
$2,500? For that kind of money, you could get an LWRC AR-15 with a gas piston upper and a quad rail, then have money left over to buy a sidearm.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Personally I would much rather have the ACR and I read somewhere(maybe the firearm blog) that the units that are testing these out aren't too thrilled with having them.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I fired the Scar L last month during a range day with a bunch of vendors , I wanted to fire the Scar H but the FN Vendor told me they had already shipped it to Texas for their next show. I wasn't too impressed , not to say that It's not a great weapon... It's just that there were no surprises , anyone familiar to the AR-15/M-16 manual of arms will be right at home. What I DID fall in love with that day was the FN SLP 12Ga Shotgun , It WAS AWESOME. But It costs a G and I cant justify spending a G on a 12 Ga... no matter how cool it is. I'll stick with my Mossy 500.

When It comes to Rifles , I stick to the AK system , and this is coming from a Marine who learned to shoot with the M-16A2. It suits my needs better. I respect the M-16 and It's a great weapon system , IMHO the Scar is pretty much an AR with the kinks worked out. It's what you'd get if a Glock and a M4 had a baby...lol

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I have a FNAR-H myself which isn't exactly the same thing as the SCAR-L or SCAR-H even but the internal mechanism is somewhat similar. I can tell you that it is absolutely by far, the best gun I've ever owned/shot! It's in .308/7.62 and is amazing in every way!

It has yet to jam after several thousand rounds of every kind of ammo imagineable. It doesn't seem to EVER get dirty due to the design either! I love it and it's good to 1/2 MOA (1/2" at 100 yards) from the factory guaranteed.

Only complaint I've seen is it isn't the easiest gun to tear down and clean. Like I said though, it doesn't seem to EVER get dirty!

These things in mind I certainly recommend a FNAR and by default a SCAR heavy or light!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by Redwookieaz

Mags still $80 for that thing? Why they didn't go with a standard HK or M14 mag is beyond me.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Ah forgot about that under the negative side lol. Well not quite that much but still not cheap. I just recently bought a few more. Have about 10 of them now. Think I just paid $45 ea. for them...

Edit for S&G

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Redwookieaz]

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think the Fn Herstal weapons are to expensive to buy on a residential scale. A weapon i would want and im going to get is a AK74. The AK74 is more accurate,controllable,faster,lighter. Im going to say do not get the Scar.I know its really accurate and pretty reliable but its not worth it. At the price of the highly accurate colt rifles its not worth it at all. The only thing i like about it now is that the Fn Scar looks cool. Im sure that you have to clean this rifle after every time you shoot it unlike the much cheaper and so much more reliable... AK74.

Ak74 = About 600 USD
Colt = About 1200 USD
Fn Scar = About 2600 USD
edit on 2-1-2011 by Rebel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Tell ya what, in the first video the guy disassembled it faster then an AK-47. This looks pretty remarkable.
. The only thing that I have a problem with is the small charging handle. It looks like a pain in the butt to lose it

top topics

join