It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is China up to?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A recent American news broadcast I saw on Sky (European SAT TV) stated that China was paying close attention to the effectiveness of the American Military in Iraq. China believes that out of the whole world, only the American Military can pose a significant threat to them.

Are they just thinking from a competitive mindset? I believe that its the aim of the government in China to become the worlds greatest superpower. If they can achieve military strength that can rival the USA, it will be one less 'tool' for want of a better word, of influence that the USA has over China. What then for Taiwan?
Could it lead to Vietnam 2, or could it even lead to World War 3?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Actualy, Iraq is Vietnam 2, if you look closely enough. Taiwan would be world war 3, I dont think too many people are gonna stay out of that mess.

China naturally will watch anything the US does with great interest, because we are competitotrs. So this in itself is not unusual.

But its worth noting this. Because now that China has stated this, the key is to watch activity in China or what China shall do. Anything China does is normally worth watching. But now, if we watch China, see if they do anything ouit of the ordinary or anything that could be a prelude to another major step....towards what?

China is always up to something.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No offense IRAQ is nothing like Vietnam and we are there for much different reasons. We were in Vietnam because the North Attacked the south, it was a legit war , if that was was 20 years prior to the hippes and media kicking in, it would have been seen as such. My dad did 2 tours and taught at west point I know all about it, It was the people in the states that made it bad not the US or its soilders.. Bad things went on there mind you. And yes we did not know who the enemy was similar to IRaq but thats about it. Please do not insult the Vets by comparing the two. 50,000 Americans died there. to fight a comunists invasion from the north (also Russia and china ties which was though could have change the face of global democarcy and since the fall of the USSR I would say Comunisim (spelling) and to protect a democratic country is a much better reason.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical
A recent American news broadcast I saw on Sky (European SAT TV) stated that China was paying close attention to the effectiveness of the American Military in Iraq. China believes that out of the whole world, only the American Military can pose a significant threat to them.

sun tsu would be proud, its just that to be strong you need to learn from the stronger nations of the world, rome learned from carthage, america learned from the brits and nazi germany(their military tactics were very similar to ours) and china is learning from america and europe right now, its a cycle i suppose, they arent looking to be an enemy, they just want to be able to protect their interests and be rich like the west.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Iraq is in every aspect like Vietnam.

1. No clear, definite purpose for being there.
2. Decline in troop performance and morale
3. Fighting local gurillas who dont want us there.
4. No clear exit strategy
5. A bigger mess that grows day in and out.

Weve pretty much lost the peace. We have entered a world and a mentality we cannot fathom.

We had no biz in nam (I could care less who attacked who, it wasnt OUR problem) and we have no biz in Iraq.

The original excuse was WMD. Now its m"liberation from an evil dictator". Make up your minds. Why the hell are we there? Oil? Oil currency? What?

Its all BS. Pure and simple. Another stupid war and a whole bunch of our people dying for NOTJING. Because Iraq has as much chance of ever being a sucessful "democracy" as Alaska has a chance of being a tropical resort for retirees.

I think China is watchin for many reasons, only time will tell why.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Please Please I beg you do research about why we went to Veitnam do nt be ignorant. You have no Idea what you are talking about.

1. No clear, definite purpose for being there.
I explained above why we were there, problem was when people were on TV dieing people said why me man... and its not our country, Korea is a good example of pre and posrt media, we where there for the exact same reason. but we dont here about that.

Now your correct in some of your points but that is NOT what the war was about big difference. Alot of similarites can be seen in many wars with your points but its such a "Buzz Word" to say its lke Nam t like Nam, where you alive durng it? What is your expertise in it? people dont know what they are saying.

Read some history about the hill people in veitnam , etc.. things went bad in Vietnam, no doubt, but alot had to do with the people and the fact we changed our version of war fare to spare lves etc. we could have carpet bombed the place but we didnt. and Dont say Nam like youve been there is disrepectfull.

Just do some research since early 60s (if not earlier) of why we were there etc. You know nothing about the war. Again 50,000 american lost there live fighting an aggresor under that? Aggresor.

Things went wrong in all wars. We just didnt see it on TV.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by freeradical

Are they just thinking from a competitive mindset? I believe that its the aim of the government in China to become the worlds greatest superpower. If they can achieve military strength that can rival the USA, it will be one less 'tool' for want of a better word, of influence that the USA has over China. What then for Taiwan?
Could it lead to Vietnam 2, or could it even lead to World War 3?

We should all keep a close eye on China and what their government does. They have been turning up the heat on Taiwan in recent weeks, really mostly the couple of months since President Chen won re-election by a narrow margin.

However, despite that narrow margin, China DOES know deep down that time is against them with Taiwan. More and more Taiwanese have an identity that is separate from China. More and more Taiwanese have been voting for the Pan-Green candidate with each successive election. About 22% in 1996, 39% in 2000 when Chen Shui-Bien won the presidency with a plurality of the vote, and this year, just a fraction over 50% to win an outright majority. The older people, who tend to me more pro-Blue are dying off. Younger people tend to be pro-green, and as they pass the 20 year olf voting threshold, that means more pro-green, anti-China voters.

China's recent behavior is not helping either. Taiwanese are keeping a close eye on the situation in Hong Kong, and people here are NOT optimistic. China has touted the "one country, two systems" (known as "yi guo, liang zhi" in Chinese). However, it is clear to people here that China is NOT keeping its promises to Hong Kong. As a result, there is little trust that they would keep such promises here.

Also, China is beginning to take a hard line against Taiwanese businessmen who support the pan-Green independence movement. One executive, of Chi Mei Optometrics in particular, has been targeted because he is a vocal supporter of President Chen. There is talking in Beijing that pro-independence Taiwanese businessmen will be shut out of China, despite the fact that it would be a CLEAR WTO violation (China and Taiwan are both members of the WTO on equal footing). This COULD be a case of Beijing shooting itself in the foot however. Taiwanese, already feeling skittish about investing in China due to recent raids by PSB officials in various cities, will be more likely to take their investment dollars to places like Viet Nam, Indonesia, and other places, where labor is currently cheaper than China, and who are far more friendly to Taiwanese businessmen as well as permitting easier repatriation of profits (something nearly impossible in China now). Also, if China begins confiscating property of Taiwanese businessmen, that will send shock waves to businessmen from other countries. If the Chinese can confiscate the property of Taiwanese businessmen, what is to stop them from confiscating the property of, say, American and Japanese businessmen because their governments correctly voted in favor of Taiwan's bid for observer status in the WHO.

There is a lot to watch in the coming months regarding China. It seems, however, that many Americans have already forgotten the Recon plane debacle of 2001. There will be more incidents between China and the United States as China continues to threaten the freedom of its neighbors in Asia.

Hong Kong is Sudetenland.
Taiwan could be Austria.
Viet Nam or the Philippines seem to be good candidates for Poland.

The world had better watch, or else history will repeat itself.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The United States is bound by law to defend Taiwan. It was passed april 1979 and was called the Taiwan Relations Act.
www.taiwandocuments.org...

We have to defend taiwan from their enemies. If china attacks we would have to go to war against china by law. Kind of like a trip wire to keep china from doing anything stupid.

China doesn't want to look weak so they gotta speak mean when Taiwan starts talking about being a different country even though they have been for so long. It's all b.s. and show of force tactics. They want to keep up with our military of course. We are allies in trade only I think.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Hi,
I know this is not on topic but I saw this topic on China and thought I would ask something that my husband and I are very curious about.
My husband is in the constuction trade. Has been for 40 years.
We wanted a pool installed and my husband mentioned it to a pool man on the job.

He told my husband that it would be 6 wks to get a permit and that they can do one pool a month. My husband asked him why.
He said that its almost impossible to get cement today unless its to build a home.
The reason he said is because China is buying all of the cement that we have. There have been 7 cement plants shut down recently.
Our question is:
What is China doing with all of this cement?
Why are we selling this much cement to them?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
He said that its almost impossible to get cement today unless its to build a home.
The reason he said is because China is buying all of the cement that we have. There have been 7 cement plants shut down recently.
Our question is:
What is China doing with all of this cement?
Why are we selling this much cement to them?

That's interestg you should say that - I was speaking to someone recently about the price of steel, and the increased demand in scap metal, and apparantly China have got a big construction thing going on at the moment. They are buying all the steel up that they can.

An example this guy gave me was that someone else in the business he knows had some I-beams or something on back order, and the company supplying him actually called to offer to PAY HIM a lot extra than he was paying to not have it!!!

Also scrap metal is supposed to have gone up from nothing a ton to a lot (can't remember exact figures - sorry!)

But anyway - apparantly there having some big construction phase happening!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It sure makes one wonder what they are up to.
Maybe they are building nuclear power plants or fallout shelters..who knows?

[edit on 6-6-2004 by MagicaRose]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think its pretty clear what the Chinese want....

"Seen from the changes in the world situation and the hegemonic strategy of the United States to create monopolarity . . . war is inevitable. We cannot avoid it. The issue is that the Chinese armed forces must control the initiative in this war military bloc headed by U.S. hegemonists. . . . We must be prepared to fight for one year, two years, three years or even longer." So far as I know there has been no repudiation of the statement by Gen. Chi, who for his role in the 1989 slaughter of defenseless Chinese students is also known as the Butcher of Tiananmen Square.

Excerpted from.
www.taiwandc.org...

What else do you think he meant by the above quote, a war of words, a war of love?

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
They can rival the U.S. but not Russia. Actually if they start a war with either they will loose. China may have a strong army and all, but Russia, and the U.S. have a navy, and airforce, and not to metion weapons in space. China has only just recently sent a man into space. If the chinese start a war they will dumasses to do it.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
we could have carpet bombed the place but we didnt.

How generous of America to not carpet bomb the people it had postured as "saving"

added: why not google "pentagon papers"?

[edit on 6-6-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
China knows what they are doing, and WHEN they want to do it. When all the chess pieces are in place, the Check move will be made.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think Russia might even ally with China. I've read some links about possible relations between them. Also, I know Russia has a lot of technology they are developing that we refuse to believe is even possible, so I would watch out for them. I think Russia will surprise a lot of people and they like it that way...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Recently I saw something on television that was interesting on a hypothetical China invasion on the U.S.

Someone stated it had already happened...Wal-Mart.

In they can't beat us in a Military-sense...they're doing a good job economically...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Who knows what China is up to?? But I do know the following...
www.asianews.it...
And a warning, the link below contains a Medical image...
www.boulderweekly.com...

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt the Three Gorges Dam Project has something to do with China buying all that cement and steel. It is a huge undertaking and will be the largest in the world.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Carrion]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
we could have carpet bombed the place but we didnt.

How generous of America to not carpet bomb the people it had postured as "saving"

added: why not google "pentagon papers"?

[edit on 6-6-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

My position was more of, in previous wars when the media was not showing war as it showed it in Vietnam, (ww2) We Did carpet bomb all of germany, and it wasnt an issue. Not that it is right or wrong, I mean the US policy was changed becasue of what media portrayed at home. We had to conduct war different and continue to do so. (not that its a bad thing) .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join