It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas town vows to keep illegals from renting houses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Texas town vows to keep illegals from renting houses

www.mcclatchydc.com

Farmers Branch remains in the middle of the battle as city leaders refuse to accept the unconstitutionality of rules they put in place to prevent illegal immigrants from renting homes.

"Farmers Branch is a town of law and order ... a patriotic, American-loving town," Mayor Tim O'Hare said. "I think this is important for America. It's important to show other cities and towns that you can make a difference, you can stand up for what's right."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Think of the idiocy here when folks are claiming that it is unconstitutional to not allow illegals to rent houses. The whole "if they are illegal they are criminals" bit is something I completely and I'm a proponent of mass deportation.

Renting a house is entering into a contract with the express purpose of breaking the law. How is it different that signing a contract to get a monthly supply of Sudafed so that you can make meth and sell drugs? It is no different.

This is going to get very ugly. Keep in mind that this is a suburb of Dallas, not some small town on the border. All of these folks are going to move, not back to Mexico, but into Nevada, California and New Mexico and we're going to have essentially a refugee problem within the US.

20 years ago if you were saying that we would have what essentially amounts to refugees in the US, folks would have thought you crazy. Look how far we've come.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Illegals are not protected by our constitution since they are not citizens and are not legal residents of this country. Therefore, any argument brought to court on the basis that it is unconstitutional should be thrown out immediately. It is simply not the correct defense since as I said, they are not protected by it in the first place.

That being said, had the Federal Government actually enforced the law already in existence we wouldn't be having any problems now.

Further, anyone that hires or RENTS to an illegal in committing a felony, so the landlord that DID rent should be prosecuted:

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization or local government) commits a federal felony when he:
* assists an alien whom he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him to obtain employment,

Source: www.bluelineradio.com...

Again, merely providing an illegal shelter without payment is a felony.

This law does NOTHING except emphasize laws already in existence. If people have a problem with how illegals are handled in this country, perhaps they should go after the Federal Government since that's where the laws originate on this subject.

Until current law is changed, we should be, without exception, enforcing it! They certainly enforce it when you or I breaks the law......

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
How is it different than employing illegals?

Where I live in Europe it is already against the law to rent your privately owned house without paying taxes, and the ones living there have to be legally registered in the city citizens archive or you are breaking the law.

renting homes to illegals makes the problem go more to the underground in my opinion and creates a downwards spiral where the problem keeps growing without anyone noticing.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Illegals are not protected by our constitution since they are not citizens and are not legal residents of this country. Therefore, any argument brought to court on the basis that it is unconstitutional should be thrown out immediately. It is simply not the correct defense since as I said, they are not protected by it in the first place.

I think we need to get more serious about illegal immigration. That being said, your statement is false:

The principle that the Constitution applies not only to Americans, but also to foreigners, was hardly invented by the Court in 2008. To the contrary, the Supreme Court -- all the way back in 1886 -- explicitly held this to be the case, when, in Yick Wo v. Hopkins, it overturned the criminal conviction of a Chinese citizen living in California on the ground that the law in question violated his Fourteenth Amendment rights to due process and equal protection. In so doing, the Court explicitly rejected what Susan Collins and many others claim about the Constitution. Just read what the Court said back then, as it should settle this matter forever (emphasis added):

The rights of the petitioners, as affected by the proceedings of which they complain, are not less because they are aliens and subjects of the emperor of China. . . . The fourteenth amendment to the constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens. It says: "Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." These provisions are universal in their application, to all persons within the territorial jurisdiction, without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality; and the equal protection of the laws is a pledge of the protection of equal laws. . . . The questions we have to consider and decide in these cases, therefore, are to be treated as involving the rights of every citizen of the United States equally with those of the strangers and aliens who now invoke the jurisdiction of the court.

www.salon.com...

The US Supreme Court has been very clear on this issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good for Farmer's Branch.

If I were a landlord, I would require proof of residency, ss #, background check, etc. for my own protection. What kind of "landlord" knowingly rents to someone who is here illegally? That just invites trouble for the landlord.

BUT.

When we give citizenship to any child born in our country, (another topic, I know, one on which I do have an opinion), as a landlord, one can then legally rent to the American citizen, by passing the laws. Am I right?

So we have a subdilemma, the illegal adults getting American benefits off of anchor babies, including renting homes.

If the illegals know when they get here, there is no HOMES to rent, they might go somewhere else.

So it seems to REALLY cut down on the illegal rental situation, there needs to be something fixed with the anchor baby situation, beginning with citizenship can only be endowed through another legal citizen, not just an illegal happens to birth on American soil.

The solution comes from with in on this topic.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Farmers Branch will probably bankrupt itself over this issue. My little town is trying to enact the same kind of ordinance and it's looking like there will be a regime change over it next month (May elections).

IMO there is no "right" side to this - only a diverse collection of "wrongs".

gj

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have no problems with this at all.

I would never dream of walking into Mexico illegally and then demanding someone rent me a house.

Common sense.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hazleton, a city in Pennsylvania tried this route in 2006.

I believe that law was shot down in the courts fairly quickly as being unconstitutional.

All I can do is wish them good luck down there in Texas.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ummmm if it's my house, I'll refuse to rent it to any one that I don't want living there.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

I think we need to get more serious about illegal immigration. That being said, your statement is false:

The US Supreme Court has been very clear on this issue.

I am fully aware of how the Supreme Court handles this, however, their ruling is the interpretation of the Constitution by which they changed the true meaning of We the People.

Or, as the Supreme Court likes to call it -- reasonable construction.

But, to get back to the soup and nuts, the Constitution is simply:

Q. What is meant by the term "constitution"?
A. A constitution embodies the fundamental principles of a government. Our constitution, adopted by the sovereign power, is amendable by that power only. To the constitution all laws, executive actions, and, judicial decisions must conform, as it is the creator of the powers exercised by the departments of government.

Source: www.archives.gov...

So...the Constitution merely says what the government can and can not do. It protects the people from a government becoming a dictatorship.

The Constitution is really simply an outline for the Federal Government.

So, if the government's purpose is:

Written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and in operation since 1789, the United States Constitution is the world’s longest surviving written charter of government. Its first three words – “We The People” – affirm that the government of the United States exists to serve its citizens.

source: www.senate.gov...

So, the Constitution says what the government can and can not do.
And government, as stated above, works only for its citizens.

Then how can an illegal, that is not government NOR citizen, claim rights to the protections afforded in the Constitution when they are neither.

My point remains:
Saying that recent laws against illegals is unconstitutional is wrong.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Illegals are not protected by our constitution since they are not citizens and are not legal residents of this country.

You see , this is the problem that we have in this country , The above statement is 100% false , and instead of actually taking the time to research it people simply go "uh... yeah screw illegals , that sounded good , that guys pissed off as I am , lemme star this" How is THAT denying ignorance? You ARE a LEGAL citizen but you don't even understand the basics of how the constitution works. I agree , Illegal immigrants ARE a problem... But in my opinion , Ignorant Uneducated Americans are MORE of a problem.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think this town should definitely go after people who EMPLOY Illegals , especially the construction contractors. Those guys make a mint hiring Illegals. If these people weren't being EMPLOYED , they wouldn't be able to pay rent.

Very Simple , anyone caught employing an Illegal gets hit with a $25,000 Fine. You will see this problem disappear quickly , No one ever wants to go after the businesses it seems , instead they demonize the little guy. He's not the one taking your job , It's the COMPANY that hired him at 1/2 your wage that's the problem!!!

[edit on 26-4-2010 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

This is not a 4th amendment issue. This is a contract law matter. The Federal Government can not require a US citizen to break the law by entering an illegal contract.

Contract law is different than constitutional law.

The standing of this law will depend on how it is written. If it is written in a very narrow way, the law will stand. If it is over turned in the Supreme Court, it will lead to some very interesting states rights cases.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Sure, and it really makes you wonder why there is an illegal probelm, who really brings in the illegals, and lies to them every step of the way. They certainly wouldnt find it so attractive, since they are trying to send money back to families often if they knew they would be treated inhumanely, work long hours for slave labor, have their health jeopardized, and even be forced into the corporate elite rituals, to discover that the cost of necessities is greater than their wage.

Its a racket run by coprorate America, and they keep them the whipping boy all the time.

By the way, I'd use my heart and insight in a situation like this.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

These cats are almost in my backyard (DFW area). More power to'em! This is the second wave they have launched. Some bag of crap judge smacked'em for earlier laws they passed.

Lets hope this sticks!

GO TIM GO!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Illegals are not protected by our constitution since they are not citizens and are not legal residents of this country.

You see , this is the problem that we have in this country , The above statement is 100% false , and instead of actually taking the time to research it people simply go "uh... yeah screw illegals , that sounded good , that guys pissed off as I am , lemme star this" How is THAT denying ignorance? You ARE a LEGAL citizen but you don't even understand the basics of how the constitution works. I agree , Illegal immigrants ARE a problem... But in my opinion , Ignorant Uneducated Americans are MORE of a problem.

1. The Constitution simply grants power and authority to the [Federal] Government.

2. The Federal Government only serves citizens of the United States as quoted above.

Illegals are neither, so how are they included in the Constitution at all?

Edit: Previous wording may have been considered "rude"...

The Constitution is the document that created the present government of the United States. It was written in 1787 and went into effect in 1789. It establishes the three branches of the U.S. government, which are THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH (headed by the president), THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH (the Congress), and THE JUDICIAL BRANCH: THE SUPREME COURT (and other federal courts). THE BILL OF RIGHTS: explain the basic rights of all American citizens.
You can find the Constitution on-line at: www.house.gov...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That being said, had the Federal Government actually enforced the law already in existence we wouldn't be having any problems now.

Further, anyone that hires or RENTS to an illegal in committing a felony, so the landlord that DID rent should be prosecuted:

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization or local government) commits a federal felony when he:
* assists an alien whom he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him to obtain employment,

Source: www.bluelineradio.com...

Again, merely providing an illegal shelter without payment is a felony.

This law does NOTHING except emphasize laws already in existence. If people have a problem with how illegals are handled in this country, perhaps they should go after the Federal Government since that's where the laws originate on this subject.

Until current law is changed, we should be, without exception, enforcing it! They certainly enforce it when you or I breaks the law......

We are pretty much on the same wave length but the reason Farmers Branch did this because the feds wont.

When the fed wont, and the state wont, THE PEOPLE MUST.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

More to the point, the Federal Government has already stipulated that anyone that employs, shelters, provides assistance to, hides, or helps ANY person in this country ILLEGALLY is guilty of a felony.

Everybody is up in arms about "new" laws that do nothing except emphasize current ones.

Further, I am not saying what is right or wrong, I am simply stating the laws as they are now.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Actually Hazleton did not make it illegal to rent to immigrants, the Mayor made the official language English. I'm from Scranton P.A. (home of Dunder Mifflin), and they renting to illegal immigrants is destroying the city..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join