It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
So, I already posted this. I think its a HOAX.
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I thought I should mention this.

Upon doing some research on this specific topic I quickly noticed one thing:

A lack of any mention of this piece of 'news' anywhere.
Quite literally, the only three sites that include ANY mention of this are unexplainable.net, GLP and here at ATS.

No news stories whatsoever, nothing on any science or astronomy website anywhere. The only place this is being talked about is on websites like this one. I hate to say it, but that is hardly a source.

News Reults

Web Results

I think we are dealing with a HOAX.

Judge for yourself.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Brahmanite

Luckily for you i've been researching and the veritas site has this info around the time this surfaced.

The signal was caused by this.
Look Here

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

To any of you that thinks this object is travelling faster than light, you really need to read the article properly and maybe obtain a basic understanding of physics. I am not trying to debunk anyone's thread. I dont understand why this thread has so much feedback wehn it has already been discussed in detail.

Let me quote the correct article from new scientist and not from some fringe article.

''Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.''

Yes your right it appears that way, but only appears that way. Do you understand relativity!!

www.newscientist.com...

Enjoy some real science.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thankyou for pointing that out but people dont seem to be listening, A few have tried.

Enjoy your star.
Keep it up

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Your all wasting your time grasping at staws ans wishfull thinking!!

It is not travelling faster than light. Do you also understand time dilation??

If time stops for lightspeed particles then what do you think would happen to something travelling 4x faster than light?? I will tell you this, we wouldnt be able to detect it.

Get your facts right!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

It's driving me crazy seeing this thread go on and on. It's a complete waste of space and the moderators should stop this nonsence.

It's obvious in many threads when an article is posted, people see what they want and leave out the rest. I cant state how obvious it is but yet people think that because the article states it appears super lum that it is. But it isnt!!!!

People that think they know everything but dont take the time to read and study are ignorant and sheep!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It's not a hoax per se, but people not being able to read the article properly and assuming it's more than it really it is.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Time dilation isnt that were erm.

Lets say your in the time dilation then time moves normally but the outside faster. And because of that it is out of sync with reality and therefore cannot be seenn or detected.

Or am i totally wrong

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Well let's just say this, if you were moving at 4X lightspeed, then time for would be going normally. But for everything around you it would speed and perceptually move in very fast motion. So yes your right, but also we don't exactly know what would happen because relativity states nothing can move faster than light, apart from certain theories of special relativity that are not proven but only hypothetical:

en.wikipedia.org...

Makes for some interesting reading.

My own theory is that time may reverse when exceeding lightspeed, but this is not met well by many physicists. Although my point is that if time stops for photon's at light speed then logically it may begin to reverse when lightspeed is exceeded. What else could happen?

This may blow your mind if you don't already know but a photon or light particle has not aged since the day it left it's source. Whether it be 1 year or 15 billion years, it has not ages as we perceive to age. It's velocity is so fast that time has stopped. Without this phenomena we would not have endless light.
So as above if light stops ageing at lightspeed what would happen at 4x lightspeed.
Although this is against the so called laws of relativity, as if we attempted to travel that fast with some sort of intertial support our mass would increase massively, which is also why the energy requirment increases as we accelerate.

It's a paradox wrapped in mind bender locked by a puzzle lol. We got a long way to go peoples.

If anyone wants to enlighten themselves in physics, here's a good place to start:

www.physforum.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Thankyou for this interesting post i'll be looking into this and Learning alot.

Enjoy your star

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

No probs, dont get me worng i am no expert on the matter, astrophysics is more of hobby for me.

If you want a basic understanding time dilation then goto youtube and search time dilation. It aint fringe, its mainstream.

Start their and you will see some of the complexity in FTL travel etc.
FTL or even lightspeed is more like time travel than linear travel.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

FYI it aint a hoax buddy.

www.newscientist.com...

But it aint what everyone thinks. Read the article IN FULL before replying anymore, the same applies for everyone that has been fooled by this post and has given flags and stars.

It isnt faster than light. This just show's how easily the masses are fooled.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ahh thank you for the response. I have found a couple sources now. My mistake. The whole lightspeed thing raised my eyebrows and then I was not able to find any real additional information to back up the claims. I would not quite say this is a hoax. It seems like this more just another great example the ATS type communities taking hold of something and running with it and in turn losing all rationality and logical thinking abilities.
People get so excited about news stories that accommodate their belief system that they start thinking irrationally.

I am also always suspicious of news articles that are revealing profound new discoveries and then jump straight in to all the incredible theories before any new, additional information is provided. I am always suspicious of that and think that it is bad science. I also raise suspicion when their is very little corroborative evidence provided.

I am at work and so dont have the ability to really dig on this. Has there been any additional information released?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

As far as my knowledge goes thier hasnt been any official information released on this matter.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Goto newscientist.com and search M82. It aint some fringe review. id love a dollar from ATS verytime i have to post this link or maybe a dollar from newscientist for all the links

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Yes, NewScientist is a great resource. My problem is more that in the article there is some major speculation put forth whilst the facts still remain very few. I do not think that we should count any chickens before they hatch. The issues within this article that are causing such a stir are the most speculative. I just think that before we get too excited about some beacon from an intelligent source we should wait for more corroborative evidence to come forth. Right now one article is not enough for me to get very excited about.

It is incredibly interesting nonetheless, I just dont think we should get so speculative based on one article, one article that itself was based on little information.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Well said, I'm Just hoping some more info on this pheonomenon gets released.

Enjoy your star

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Here's the actual article:

www.physorg.com...

Apparent superluminal motion is a visual illusion produced by the angle of propagation, among a few other factors. This is basic first year graduate astrophysics.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymous23
This is basic first year graduate astrophysics.

Well judging from the spelling, grammar and logic of most posters on ATS I would imagine a lot barely finished high school, let alone first year astrophysics.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join