It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Actually, people on the other thread claimed this was not actually exceed the speed of light, but the article clearly says that what ever is sending this RF signal does appear to be moving faster than the speed of light.

Essentially, this newly discovered phenomenon, puts a great deal of evidence on the side of the debate that states that the speed of light is not some universal speed limit.

This new discovery moves the evidence even further into the concepts put forth by Bohm.

www.spaceandmotion.com...

This fits perfectly into my own personal theory of physics, in that an electron is not a tiny little point moving very very fast, but a long thin thread like particle with a natural curve that creates what we know as the small force. The proton is a shorter, but much thicker curved little barb whose tensility creates the large force, while a neutron is a soft particle which acts like a gum creating larger atoms.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Remember, anthing moving faster than the speed of light would only be seen after it has passed us by.

It it were stopping to visit us, it would appear, as if out of nowhere, and then we would begin to see the trail of light behind it, indicating where it came from. I guess we would begin to see it as it slowed down below the speed of light. How long would it take to brake?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
(...)
Also remember the signal is now 12million lyears old.
(...)
[edit on 26-4-2010 by Havick007]

This is only true if it is indeed traveling at the speed of light. It could be much younger if it were indeed traveling faster than light.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by True-seer
reply to post by crezo

Give it 200 years we will be colonizing planets i think, then we could also fly to these phenomenon and see what its all about. Get straight to the facts

A bit ambitious don't you think? I'd give colonizing planets another good, 4-5,000 years, give or take 1k.

I don't think we'd even fly to these events, it'd be similar to that idiot that goes into the abandon building because he/she heard something strange inside.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I would have agreed with you but look at how far we have come over the last 50 years and like i said were moving forward really fast. I dont think my timeline is that bad.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
We may be moving fast, but the main thing that prevents making any sort of credible pronostic about economical, practical and fast space flights to other systems, not to mention even other galaxies!, is that we simply do not know what we should discover to make it possible...

So yes, we may well discover that bit in a few years, but we may just as well not discover it before several thousands. We're indeed progressing at an exponential rate, but that's only true for now. No one can assume, without being unreasonable, that it is going to continue that way "forever". That's one thing, now there's another one: where, on that evolution line, sits the point where we'll discover and master the techniques and science allowing space flight in such a considered way? Again, no one knows, and even at an amazing pace, we may just not reach that point before thousands of years.

It goes even beyond this. The technology and science involved in such travels, in particular FTL travels, are to say the least barely born in the minds of only a few ones here and now. And it is totally different than "conventional" means of travel. It will not involve a rocket and using fuel to travel in a straight line from point A to point B. If we are ever to accomplish such travels in a reasonable time at a human scale, and even more if those are to be frequent hence reasonably cheap, we'll have to discover other means of travel.

Assuming about the unknown is a very hard task, and many geniusses have broken their teeth on such things. Sometimes in a positive way, sometimes in a negative. People in the 1950's were viewing the year 2000 with flying cars for everyone, but they never thought that we would have cell phones or an internet. People in the 1970's have never been thinking about having mobile phones either, but they believed that man would be on Mars in 2000. And now, who are we in 2010 to estimate that we'll reach the stars in 10, 50, 1000, 25000 years ?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

Wow maybe i have to have a rethink about this.

Great input Vince

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I would have agreed with you but look at how far we have come over the last 50 years and like i said were moving forward really fast. I dont think my timeline is that bad.

Our advances have been mainly terrestrial, besides orbits and the moon, where disasters occurred.

The universe is a big bad mother, Coming by chance of finding a needle, in the billions of haystacks out there for a pre-setup planet naturally customized for us would be near impossible.

We also have to worry about post-nuke, stick and stone wars. Budget for interstellar travel or even colonizing. A house costs in the hundreds of thousands, and that's just on Earth!!!

Then you have the anti-science groups that promote lies about things like the LHC, or any other potential advancement.

We could of been far more advanced by now had it not been for the oppression in these past generations, and current generations.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I`ve never heard words more true than those.

Starred good job

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I found this on the Jodrell Bank website that might shed some light on things:

Micro-quasars are objects in our own galaxy which also contain black holes, but here the black hole results from the collapse of the core of a massive star at the end of its life. One example, GRS1915+105, is believed to be a black hole several times more massive than our Sun in orbit around a normal star. Matter from the star is heated to intense temperatures and radiates X-Rays as it spirals in towards the black hole. The process is so violent that unpredictable explosions occur producing spectacular jets - like the beams produced in a quasar but on a much smaller scale; hence the name micro-quasar. A sequence of images (left) made by MERLIN following an outburst in 1997 shows two bullets of ultra-hot gas being shot out in opposite directions with an apparent speed of more than twice the speed of light! This apparent faster-than-light motion is, in fact, an illusion, and can be explained if we are seeing jets moving at about 90% of the speed of light - one jet moving towards us and the other one moving away from us.

www.jb.man.ac.uk...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I believe there's all kinds of civilizations speaking to each other out there in interstellar space ( through out the universe) and I believe (like me looking for a babe) that our technology is always looking in the wrong place or doing it wrong no matter how hard we try.. (or good looking we are )

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I thought I should mention this.

Upon doing some research on this specific topic I quickly noticed one thing:

A lack of any mention of this piece of 'news' anywhere.
Quite literally, the only three sites that include ANY mention of this are unexplainable.net, GLP and here at ATS.

No news stories whatsoever, nothing on any science or astronomy website anywhere. The only place this is being talked about is on websites like this one. I hate to say it, but that is hardly a source.

Here, try for yourself
Or, you can check the news

I think we are dealing with a HOAX.

Judge for yourself.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Goes to show you, the more we know, the more we don't know....

I believe we are still at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to understanding what is out there and endless possibilities there could be. It has not been that long ago the general feeling was that the earth was flat!!

Look how far we have some in such a short time.

This is a great observation and thread. I will keep an eye out for any additional news on this!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Actually, people on the other thread claimed this was not actually exceed the speed of light, but the article clearly says that what ever is sending this RF signal does appear to be moving faster than the speed of light.

Yes - appear to be moving - the article is quite explicit that astrophysicists think this is an optical illusion. Almost everyone here is talking as if there's no doubt about its superluminal velocity, but quite the contrary, according to the experts, there is no doubt that it is well below light speed. It's still moving fast, and is baffling those studying it, but general relativity does not need to be discarded in order to explain this.

from the article -

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent “superluminal” motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
How the hell has this thread gotten so many stars and flags??

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Like most things we will not actually know for sure unless we are able to investigate this.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
oh noes now our government is intercepting e-mail decryption from alien societies. When will the insanity end!

good find might I add.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Thanks. great comments from all you ATS'ers as usual keep it up.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d5ab223b720.jpg[/atsimg]

A radio signal coming from deep space has been tracked by scientists and measured with a sideways trajectory to be moving faster than the speed of light. The strange object is located somewhere within the nearby M82 galaxy and was first picked up last May as astronomers at the Jodrell Bank Center for Astrophyics near Macclesfield, UK were tracking a nearby stellar explosion thought to be unrelated.

The object appears to be transmitting radio waves that do not follow the patterns of traditional radio waves associated with known astronomical phenomena. The galaxy M82 (also known as Messier 82) is approximately at RA 9h55m52.72s Dec 69'40'50.30" if one was to use an astronomical charting program or search "Messier 82."

The bright spot is baffling scientists, and many believe the signal indicates an object of artificial origin. Could this be the life we have been searching the skies for so long? Or could it possibly be an unknown natural phenomenon or even a hoax? If it indeed turns out to be a hoax, scientists have been unable to determine how it could have been perpetrated for the last two years that it has been observed.

The most unexplainable aspect of this isn't that we have observed an object transmitting radio waves. Of course any number of natural phenomena is capable of sending out radio signals. The problem is, no one is sure how it could be emitting radio waves in the steady signal it is, if it was a micro-quasar and not be emitting X-rays as well. A micro-quasar is an object that is created by an exploding star. The problem with the microquasar theory, is twofold. First, no known microquasar has ever sent out such a strong radio signal as what has been observed with the M82 anomaly. Second, the lack of X-rays is clearly indicative of something else. Of course what that is, exactly is entirely unknown to scientists.

One theory posits that it may be an extraterrestrial signal, the likes of which SETI has been scanning the skies looking for, for years. They propose that the only way the speed of light could be transcended would be to create an artificial spacecraft capable of moving faster than light speed. Then again, our understanding of this concept is only in its infant stages, and we don't even know if what we're observing is possible yet.

Another theory is that a black hole or an unknown object similar to a black hole is growing, gathering all the energy around it into itself. If such an object were in any number of the unexplored types of environments within space, it is possible it could be moving like a chain in a way that looks like it may be traveling, but in reality could simply be creating new radio sources simultaneously over a vast distance just as the previous one dies out. Whatever the source, we're sure to be hearing quite a bit from M82. And perhaps in time we'll notice a pattern (either from artificial or natural origin) that could help us decode its source and purpose.

The Source

Not Sure if this has been posted yet, i did a site search and found nothing..

Eager to hear your comments on this

[edit on 26-4-2010 by True-seer]

This is a ridiculous article

The funniest thing about the article, is that it makes a mention about extraterrestrial life, but yet doesn't elaborate on how the signal could be moving faster than the speed of light, therefor breaking Einsteins laws about general relativity...

This article makes no sense, unless you have no sense.

In that case, its a pretty cool article

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ghpink

Not sure whether to compliment you or not

wierd post

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join