It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Yes i now know that it has been covered your like the third person to point that out to me. My fault completely i didnt search for the correct keywords in the search.

But lets move on anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

dont stress i have done it many times.

But yeah in the article it sez the apparent sideways velocity with the effects of relativity make it appear super luminal but it isnt really travelling that fast, not even close to lightspeed. Although it is strange as there are theories it may be a blackhole, however it isnt emitting xrays which you normally get with a blackhole.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thier is soo many things with it that dont match up with what you would expect you see. I'm still have reservation about what is really causing it.

Hopefully the guys at Nasa will let us know.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.... i just watched Contact for the first time yesterday. That would be awesome if they were sending us some sort of encoded message!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My bet is a phenomenon similar to a black hole, but maybe with slightly different behavior and likely would be named something different...just going by the article.

Fascinating though...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
My bet is a phenomenon similar to a black hole, but maybe with slightly different behavior and likely would be named something different...just going by the article.

Fascinating though...

Most likely, but if its similar to a black hole that could open up a whole can of worms on theories etc, Lets say it very close in nature to a black hole then maybe the Signal is coming through from it. From far away in another galaxy but yet again thats just my theory.

Grats btw your the first moderator to comment on one of my threads.

means alot to me lol

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If you think about it, the theory of "the speed of light" as we have been taught by scientist is incorrect anyway.

Just stop and think aobut the idea of "billions of light years or even One light year for that matter, along with the rotation and orbit of hte earth and you will find that the earth would be WAY off location to the original sight of a source of light or object,

In other words, if a planet was "light years" away the earth was in postion "A" at the time of sighting, then in a span of "light yers pass by" and the earth ins now in position "B" of its orbit and rotation, which in essense, is 4 months, 6 months or even a year latter, calender time. There is no way that that partiular object could be even seen let alone be in the same postion.

Recon3

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Recon3]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Recon3

Hmm Your very correct, pretty basic logic but proves a very good point

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by True-seer

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

A radio signal coming from deep space has been tracked by scientists and measured with a sideways trajectory to be moving faster than the speed of light. The strange object is located somewhere within the nearby M82 galaxy and was first picked up last May as astronomers at the Jodrell Bank Center for Astrophyics near Macclesfield, UK were tracking a nearby stellar explosion thought to be unrelated.

The object appears to be transmitting radio waves that do not follow the patterns of traditional radio waves associated with known astronomical phenomena. The galaxy M82 (also known as Messier 82) is approximately at RA 9h55m52.72s Dec 69'40'50.30" if one was to use an astronomical charting program or search "Messier 82."

The bright spot is baffling scientists, and many believe the signal indicates an object of artificial origin. Could this be the life we have been searching the skies for so long? Or could it possibly be an unknown natural phenomenon or even a hoax? If it indeed turns out to be a hoax, scientists have been unable to determine how it could have been perpetrated for the last two years that it has been observed.

The most unexplainable aspect of this isn't that we have observed an object transmitting radio waves. Of course any number of natural phenomena is capable of sending out radio signals. The problem is, no one is sure how it could be emitting radio waves in the steady signal it is, if it was a micro-quasar and not be emitting X-rays as well. A micro-quasar is an object that is created by an exploding star. The problem with the microquasar theory, is twofold. First, no known microquasar has ever sent out such a strong radio signal as what has been observed with the M82 anomaly. Second, the lack of X-rays is clearly indicative of something else. Of course what that is, exactly is entirely unknown to scientists.

One theory posits that it may be an extraterrestrial signal, the likes of which SETI has been scanning the skies looking for, for years. They propose that the only way the speed of light could be transcended would be to create an artificial spacecraft capable of moving faster than light speed. Then again, our understanding of this concept is only in its infant stages, and we don't even know if what we're observing is possible yet.

The Source

Not Sure if this has been posted yet, i did a site search and found nothing..

Eager to hear your comments on this

[edit on 26-4-2010 by True-seer]

Hi there

I posted this related link from the UK's Jodrell Bank on another space thread earlier and surprisingly no one commented? Either the group in there were too busy debunking the OP and one another that they actually missed a very BIG piece of their current jigsaw...what exactly is going on in space, right about our heads, right now?

What is even more interesting is the rushed meeting with the RAS in Scotland. Muxlow will report the discovery at the Royal Astronomical Society National Astronomy Meeting in Glasgow, UK, today (14th April 2010)

I'm currently awaiting any news?

Original link

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here they come...............................to eat us!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chronzilla

And who exactly is coming to eat us?

lol just finished by avatar, Aliens wrote a message in space for me

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
"Signal is moving fast then light". Would be nice to have such thing in our possesion. Would be really usefull.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxize

are you soo sure about that? remember if we can pick up the signal so can anyone else, If we brought it back to earth and the signal emitted from earth then it would only be a matter of time before someone came.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I wish it were but doubt its intelligent life trying to beacon us. The amount of energy required to radiate into 3-space would be so enormous if it was artifical.

What it does tell us is that we are nowehere near sorting out the mysteries of the universe and 'laws' of physics, and even the simple ones get lost on the common man by promises of ET.

If there is ET life, its probably come to visit us, not set up a crazy beacon.

Newton was right, then wrong (somewhat), Einstein was not completely correct and now we have a whole host of crazy theories trying to explain the quantum level. But I think the world of sciencce has become like the rest of the world - if you find something that doesnt agree with the accepted theories, you bury it rather than publish and explore it for fear of being shunned by your peers. And worse, much worse - lose your funding.

BTW - great post and well introduced. Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hmmmbeer

Thankyou Tried to Introduce it best i could.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I commented about this in the other thread. My friend is an astrophysicist who specializes in quasars. When I sent him the link to the article, his comment back to me was:

Weird. It could be a knot of plasma driven out in the jet of a microquasar, which would explain the lack of X-ray emission. Perhaps the microquasar itself is obscured by the dusty nebula from its progenitor supernova, hence we only see the jet material which has left the nebula.

We also discussed it a bit a few days later. The 4x the speed of light thing is not a big deal, he sees it all the time in his observation of quasars and as the various articles have explained, it's not real, just an illusion. It's not really moving that fast, it just appears to because of the relativistic effects when observing objects moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Your friend knows what he is talking about, Not very often i see a response with soo many meaningful words.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
www.jb.man.ac.uk...

The originator of the info is legit if nothing else. Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Personally i think it could be ET's
I also know that Dr. Hawking is much smarter than i.
At this moment i think it would be prudent to turn off all our porch lights.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join