It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Mystery Signal Faster than Speed of Light

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d5ab223b720.jpg[/atsimg]

A radio signal coming from deep space has been tracked by scientists and measured with a sideways trajectory to be moving faster than the speed of light. The strange object is located somewhere within the nearby M82 galaxy and was first picked up last May as astronomers at the Jodrell Bank Center for Astrophyics near Macclesfield, UK were tracking a nearby stellar explosion thought to be unrelated.

The object appears to be transmitting radio waves that do not follow the patterns of traditional radio waves associated with known astronomical phenomena. The galaxy M82 (also known as Messier 82) is approximately at RA 9h55m52.72s Dec 69'40'50.30" if one was to use an astronomical charting program or search "Messier 82."

The bright spot is baffling scientists, and many believe the signal indicates an object of artificial origin. Could this be the life we have been searching the skies for so long? Or could it possibly be an unknown natural phenomenon or even a hoax? If it indeed turns out to be a hoax, scientists have been unable to determine how it could have been perpetrated for the last two years that it has been observed.

The most unexplainable aspect of this isn't that we have observed an object transmitting radio waves. Of course any number of natural phenomena is capable of sending out radio signals. The problem is, no one is sure how it could be emitting radio waves in the steady signal it is, if it was a micro-quasar and not be emitting X-rays as well. A micro-quasar is an object that is created by an exploding star. The problem with the microquasar theory, is twofold. First, no known microquasar has ever sent out such a strong radio signal as what has been observed with the M82 anomaly. Second, the lack of X-rays is clearly indicative of something else. Of course what that is, exactly is entirely unknown to scientists.

One theory posits that it may be an extraterrestrial signal, the likes of which SETI has been scanning the skies looking for, for years. They propose that the only way the speed of light could be transcended would be to create an artificial spacecraft capable of moving faster than light speed. Then again, our understanding of this concept is only in its infant stages, and we don't even know if what we're observing is possible yet.

Another theory is that a black hole or an unknown object similar to a black hole is growing, gathering all the energy around it into itself. If such an object were in any number of the unexplored types of environments within space, it is possible it could be moving like a chain in a way that looks like it may be traveling, but in reality could simply be creating new radio sources simultaneously over a vast distance just as the previous one dies out. Whatever the source, we're sure to be hearing quite a bit from M82. And perhaps in time we'll notice a pattern (either from artificial or natural origin) that could help us decode its source and purpose.

The Source

Not Sure if this has been posted yet, i did a site search and found nothing..

Eager to hear your comments on this

[edit on 26-4-2010 by True-seer]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by True-seer

Where's the link to the source ? You might want to edit your post to include that link...And also clip the quote from the article, its not necessary to quote the whole article where a link is available

Otherwise, that's fascinating...My bet is its a yet to be discovered astronomical object...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

ok not use to this i`ll find it now and fix my error

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Intriguing, but I'd love to see the source of this article!

Trying to not get too excited here

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by True-seer

ok not use to this i`ll find it now and fix my error

If you need a hand, let me know

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

one thing is thier a way to align images to the side so threads look better.

Also addes source link at bottomog first post.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hi True-seer,

There were a couple of threads on this recently = here's one;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this has already been discovered and dicussed at length.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace, now wouldn't that be a fine thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

My fault i did look but couldnt find any probly because i was searching for thread names.............No matter i still find it extremely fascinating

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

one thing is thier a way to align images to the side so threads look better.

Also addes source link at bottomog first post.

To make an image appear on the left of your post, I believe you need to use HTML tags to align it to the left...Having not ever posted images on threads here and having not used HTML for years and years, I'm not sure what those tags are...

To add the link to the quote, hit the edit button on your OP, then click the globe in the toolbar, this will say "what name should be shown ?"...I usually type source or something like that...Click OK then you'll be prompted to enter the URL for the link...Copy and paste it into the box from your browser and click ok...

Check the edits you've made, especially that the link works, and you're good to go

If anyone else has any advice to help the OP. feel free as this is a topic worth posting and discussing

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thankyou for your help.

also added the source

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Thankyou for your help.

also added the source

Good job
My pleasure

So...What do you make of this one ? Is it ET, an unknown astronomical object like I suggested or something else entirely ?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Well after looking into it i have to say since we have been monitering m82 for a while thier is only really 3 explanations for a signal now. and those are.

Some type of alien Entity giving a signal off on purpose or without realising.
Some type of distress beacon from another lifeform.
Or a Something is passing Through m82 giving off this signal it could be a comet type thing i have no idea could be a radiation source.

But thats just my op

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Well after looking into it i have to say since we have been monitering m82 for a while thier is only really 3 explanations for a signal now. and those are.

Some type of alien Entity giving a signal off on purpose or without realising.
Some type of distress beacon from another lifeform.
Or a Something is passing Through m82 giving off this signal it could be a comet type thing i have no idea could be a radiation source.

But thats just my op

I'd imagine all three of those are possibilities..However, I still think its an unknown object...At this stage it reminds me a bit of how we discovered quasars or pulsars...

First an previously unknown radio source, much observation, then finally a researcher works out what it is..

The only thing that has me baffled is the speed at which the signal is traveling which is very un-radio signal like...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I totally agree and lets just say it was sometype of alien craft they arnt exactly going to let everyoen know they are thier. are they?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I totally agree and lets just say it was sometype of alien craft they arnt exactly going to let everyoen know they are thier. are they?

That's a good point...Not sure if you've seen, but there has been a couple of threads about Hawking warning we probably don't want to make contact with ET as he believes they're likely to be hostile on here the last week or so...

Kinda ties in with what you said a bit...If their intent was to progressively and systematically bleed planets dry of resources and move on, they wouldn't want any inhabitants of said planets to have warning of their arrival...

It would give them the element of surprise, which lets face it is handy in a battle of any scale...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Yep does have a valid point really, if they kept tracking it and it just kept coming closer thier is no way that we wouldnt be prepared for something.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In my opinion
it would behove mankind to bring together
their best minds to try to decipher
the code within the message.

That message may mean more
in our current situation than
what's behind the phenom.

It could be a warning for mankind.
It would be such a pity to miss
that sort of thing.

That would be my current priority

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yes i agree, but some signals have no pattern in which a code could be hidden to decipher, at the end of the day it could be a random phenomenon with no Correlation to anything that can be understodd or interpreted, Basically just a messy noise.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
this has been posted under the thread radio signal from m82.

Also this was covered in that thread the article from new science. The sideways trajectory makes the signal appear super luminal but is only an illusion and is actually only travelling at a fraction of light speed.

Funny that people always seem to leave that part out....

Also remember the signal is now 12million lyears old. It has come and gone along time ago.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Havick007]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join