It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite U.S. units step up drive in Kandahar-Hunting Enemy Leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Small bands picking up or picking off insurgent leaders ahead of offensive

Small bands of elite American Special Operations forces have been operating with increased intensity for several weeks in Kandahar, southern Afghanistan’s largest city, picking up or picking off insurgent leaders to weaken the Taliban in advance of major operations, senior administration and military officials say.

The looming battle for the spiritual home of the Taliban is shaping up as the pivotal test of President Obama’s Afghanistan strategy, including how much the United States can count on the country’s leaders and military for support, and whether a possible increase in civilian casualties from heavy fighting will compromise a strategy that depends on winning over the Afghan people.

It will follow a first offensive, into the hamlet of Marja, that is showing mixed results. And it will require the United States and its Afghan partners to navigate a battleground that is not only much bigger than Marja but also militarily, politically and culturally more complex.

“Large numbers of insurgent leadership based in and around Kandahar have been captured or killed,” said one senior American military officer directly involved in planning the Kandahar offensive. But, he acknowledged, “it’s still a contested battle space.”

Source: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Well, its about time and they need to being doing more of it ASAP. We need to get this thing over with. Time for the gloves to come off and get the business that needs done-Done. My two nephews just departed for Afganistan. Sickens me that they may be harmed with no clear mission object yet-that we fully support and agree to. Not to mention you can't turn your back on the people you are there to help...

Anyway, at least the US is in charge. Look at these mem in the photo below. Look at their eyes. Determined-not afraid. Also, can anyone tell me what is on the barrel area of the weapon the soldier on the right is holding? GO USA!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It is a good story, and at least the forces in Afghanistan seem to be doing their jobs? However, what about the politicians leading the effort in Afghanistan? That is another story entirely. The US Special Forces are doing what they always do, and that is going after high value targets. Hopefully, this decapitation maneuver of the Taliban leadership in and around Kandahar bears some fruit and demoralizes the enemy?

Still, I think what they are doing is just a drop in the bucket and more leaders will assume the roles of the ones killed either coming down from the mountains or across the border from Pakistan. Like you, I am concerned about the mission in Afghanistan as well. It seems that the current Administration as well as the last, have no clear objectives for our forces over there?

A military has to have an objective, or they are going to be made into cannon-fodder with time. That is the cold hard reality of Afghanistan at this point. I have yet to see our forces get aggressive with the enemy to any large extent over there. All I have seen in the media, is a military which seems to be in a holding pattern, but holding pattern for what? Maybe, this recent operation is a good start, or as said earlier, another drop in the bucket?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I have to say GREAT post. You said it all very well and exact.

Star for you my friend. I am afraid the longer the was goes on, the more America forgets about it. Without the MSM whipping up the dust, it is like it isn't going on. Must be nice to be liked by the press.

Anyway, thanks for your insight.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes, shameless pumping my thread here. I want someone who was there to tell me what the heck that thing in on the one soldiers weapon. The thing with all the gadgets.

Real COD 2 Modern Warfare-for sure. The things they must have seen and done over there.......

lucky us to be back here.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Also, can anyone tell me what is on the barrel area of the weapon the soldier on the right is holding?

Its an offset tactical ranging laser.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by mikelee]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Similiar to this one. The military deploys various versions by different makers.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Thank you!!! I have been out and away for the Army for a long long time. Things have changed a little-for sure.

I am going to be checking on these later today. I actually saw several New things on some US weapons that I haven't see before. I assumed they were lasers and/or range finders. Maybe lasers to light up a target for Air Crews to do their bombing/targeting.

well, thanks again.

Stars

new topics

top topics

join