It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. ordered to pay Iran $650m for Canceled Arms Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

U.K. ordered to pay Iran $650m for Canceled Arms Deal

www.haaretz.com

An international arbitration court in The Hague on Sunday ordered the British government to pay Iran $650 million in compensation for a canceled 1970s arms deal.

The compensation money, which is now waiting to be withdrawn, is to cover an outstanding 1971-1976 deal canceled after the Islamist Revolution deposed the Shah. The Shah had ordered 1,500 Chieftain battle-tanks and 250 military vehicles, according to The Independent.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Ah, this is quite funny. The Iranians must be laughing their asses off at the moment as the West seems powerless against everything that is happening around them.

It's a bit of a "kick in the guts when your down" type of story.

I wonder if old Ahmadinejad has decided what he is going to buy with the cash yet? A new car, maybe a nice house by the Sea......or maybe some BIG GUNS!!!!!

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Hmmm.. the cash has sat in account all that time, I wonder how much interest that earned the British gov
not bad for not supplying anything to anyone..

Now they have to pay it back.. I wonder if they'll give the cheque in US$

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

haha.. nice one!

That sure is a lot of $$$ to be giving to your worst nightmare! Wait until the UK tabloids get on this one!

Poor Gordon Brown will have to take the responsibility for giving the British peoples money away to a 'rogue state'!!!

[edit on 26-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Perhaps they could give it in penny jars

Seriously, I bet that $650m has been stuck in an account earning interest for 30 years but the British gov can't draw down on the interest until it sorts out the ??? hanging over the cash..

My thoughts are that perhaps now the cash can be released back to Iran in $$ the British gov can walk away with the interest, which I'd bet is not a little amount..

Tho it does seem bizzare that these things are coming to fruition now, I wonder what deal has been done behind the scenes.. Since I don't trust any one of them to do any thing above board and honest..

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Screw the Hague!

This would be a good time to exibit some sovereignty! Where did your balls go Britain?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

Screw the Hague!

This would be a good time to exibit some sovereignty! Where did your balls go Britain?

TPTB, sold our balls to Rome, and gave our freedoms, to religion, along time ago...but Im sure if they give us a run at it. The Brits would give them hell.

The truth is slowly but surly surfacing.

Peace.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by mackey1224uk]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Screw the Hague!

It's fair enough. Iran paid for the goods, which were not delivered. It is only right that the money should be repaid. Bit of a sweet deal though as many of those tanks made for Iran were then sold to Iraq, which used them against the original purchaser! So, in essence, the British Government, and the manufacturer got paid twice over for the same goods.

I also wonder who got paid and for what? The Government would only have been the facilitator of such a deal, signing off the export paperwork and allowing it to go ahead, Surely it would have been the manufacturer that received the money. And, as has been mentioned already, the interest alone on that amount must be huge, so I wonder who has profited from that sweet little earner?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Screw the Hague!

They were cut off by the Labour party and served up with Brussels sprouts!!

2ns line.

Korg.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Why is it that international sentiment towards rogue terrorist states verge on sympathy?

Why is it that nations who were once subjugated by foreign influences, I'm talking about the nearly entire continent of Europe under Nazi rule i.e.; France, Norway, Netherlands, etc, can dictate to the world how the rest of us should handle our internal and international affairs.?

Does the international community not understand what's fair game for the terrorist is fair game for the the rest of the world?

Here's my judgement; The United Kingdom doesn't owe one red cent to the regime of Iran until Iran can comply with the international community on its not-so-secret nuclear weapons program.

You have 24 hours to comply or the deals off.

Aw, the hell with it! Keep the money UK!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Poor Gordon Brown will have to take the responsibility for giving the British peoples money away to a 'rogue state'!!!

[edit on 26-4-2010 by grantbeed]

now its not really our money now is it?
if its been in some account gathering intrest as others have mentioned then britain has made some money out of this not losing any.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wow this is bad, why would we give money to a nation that would love to see us burn? I just hope the money is given to Iran in vouchers so they can't spend it on what they want, which would most likely be an extra bit of uranium enrichment

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
if its been in some account gathering intrest as others have mentioned then britain has made some money out of this not losing any.

I highly doubt that this money has not been spent somewhere along the lines...

Though would make for a good expenses account wouldn't it??

Korg.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

I guess, the question is, "who are the real terrorists?"

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
this is how they get around the $ 20 mil maximum in Iran oil investments ?

pretty clever

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

someone spent it on a Mout and paid extra for the draw bridge and
security system?

top topics

join