It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran strikes secret nuclear mining deal with Zimbabwe's Mugabe regime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Iran strikes secret nuclear mining deal with Zimbabwe's Mugabe regime

www.guardian.co.uk

The agreement was sealed last month during a visit to Tehran by a close aide to Robert Mugabe, the Zimbabwean president who last weekend celebrated 30 years in power, The Sunday Telegraph has learned.

In return for supplying oil, which Zimbabwe desperately needs to keep its faltering economy moving, Iran has been promised access to potentially huge deposits of uranium ore – which can be converted into the basic fuel for nuclear power or enriched to make a nuclear bomb.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I found the following report back from 2005:

Mugabe hails uranium find and vows to pursue nuclear power

It has been known for many years that uranium deposits lie in the Zambezi river valley in northern Zimbabwe. But mining experts in Harare say these were not thought to be large enough to support a viable mine.

"It is a huge step from locating some uranium deposits to developing a working uranium mine and refinery, and it is an even bigger leap to establish a nuclear reactor," said John Robertson, an economist in Harare. "Where would Mugabe source the substantial finance and technical expertise needed to build a nuclear reactor?"

It could take four to five years to set up a uranium mine.Considerable technical skills would then be needed to produce the uranium concentrate needed for a nuclear reactor, said Mr Robertson.

Zimbabwe has poor relations with Britain, the European Union and the United States, but has close ties with two countries that have controversial nuclear programmes - Iran and North Korea.

source

According to this report, it would take up to fives years to set up an uranium mine while 'considerable technical skills' would be required to produce the uranium. As a consequence of sanctions, it is not Western companies to exploit Zimbabwe's resources, but Iran's. Unsurprisingly, they are in the same boat of rogue states and Iran has exactly what Zimbabwe seeks: oil, experience in uranium mining and the construction of nuclear reactors.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Already posted here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

G.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It would not surprise me if Iran ripped off Mugabe until anything of use is gone, leaving Zimbabwe even worse off than it already is. It is what I would do if I were Tehran. Mugabe is out in the cold so much that he would have nobody to go to, no body to help him and absolutely no recourse.

new topics

top topics

join