It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers: Military could quell Chicago violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This proposal by these two legislators is a joke, and I will tell you why? For one, the National Guard is to be used in times of natural disasters, and severe civil disturbances. Sadly for the politicians, those two components are missing. Now, is the crime rampant in Chicago? Yes, but maybe it is because the local and state politicians are focusing on other endeavors rather than curbing violent crime? For instance, like their own private pursuits and enriching themselves with cash filled envelopes.

Remember this is Chicago and Illinois we are talking about here, and one of the most corrupt cities and states in the Union.

I think that investigator heading the Blagojevich case sums it up well. Maybe the National Guard should be used to police Chicago City Hall and the State Legislature? That is where the major crime is taking place. Personally, if more law enforcement officers were hired it would help in curbing the crime. There is no need for National Guard on the streets of Chicago or any major American city for that matter. It is ridiculous that politicians would taut this alternative as a viable option. All I see here is another feeble attempt at local government officials shirking more of their responsibilities. What happened to the stimulus money? I am very certain the city of Chicago got a major chunk of that.

Daley breaks down Chicago's stimulus share

According to City of Chicago bean counters, the city will get a little over $1 billion from the federal stimulus plan, which is aimed to jump start the economy.

abclocal.go.com.../politics&id=6707012

One would figure that with the spurt of revenue in the city budget it would be adequate to hire more police officers to curb the violence? However, according to a friend of mine who is a Chicago police officer, there has been a hiring freeze for quite sometime. Here is something interesting from Mayor Daley about where the money is going.

Daley breaks down Chicago's stimulus share

He indicated that most of the money will be paid to private companies that contract with the city.

abclocal.go.com.../politics&id=6707012

Private companies who contract with the city? Could those be private friends of the Mayor and his minions? Hired Truck Scandal part two? It seems rather easy for this money to end up in private hands, and then recycled back to corrupt officials in cash filled envelopes and suitcases. Remember cash is king in Chicago. Still, the National Guard policing the streets is outrageous, and a telltale sign of mismanagement of tax payer funds in the city of Chicago.

Note: Links provided above seem to not be working, but the article is still listed on the ABC7 Chicago official web page. Go to their site's search option or use the Google search option. Sorry for any inconvenience.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I think its just another scare tactic to keep the masses from revolting;
Probably in connection with what happened with the militia a couple weeks ago

[edit on 26-4-2010 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

They are only used during natural disasters and civil disturbances?

Thats funny because I could have sworn they are used for a few things more. Let me check that link I posted on page one that you obviously didn't read.

Yep, they can also be used to support the police force. They are used for a few more things if you care to read easliy available information. You don't want to stay entirely ignorant do you?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The National Gaurd can be used as a TEMPORARY means of supporting a police force during a civil disturbance.

They are NOT to be used as a DE FACTO police force.

Posse Comitatus: www.dojgov.net...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Fine than.

Let soldiers in fatigues march your streets.

Enjoy that APC crushing your car. And then having them BLAME YOU for your car being "in their way".

Enjoy it. Because once you let it happen, it will never go away.

Why? Because crime rates are not SOLVED by the use of force.

Crime can only be solved by addressing social problems. That is the only way.

So once you let those soldiers march your streets, you will never see them leave. Simply because the crime rates will NEVER go away when we are only being reactionary.

And a high crime rate is not a civil emergency. It's a commonplace occurrence in the USA. I am used to it personally.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheels
The National Gaurd can be used as a TEMPORARY means of supporting a police force during a civil disturbance.

They are NOT to be used as a DE FACTO police force.

Posse Comitatus: www.dojgov.net...

Once you let them in "to help deal with high crime rates" , they will never leave.

This will NOT solve crime in any way at all. It's absurd.

They will become the De Facto police force eventually. Just watch.

I hope all the supporters of this enjoy having their door kicked in by soldiers in fatigues in the USA....

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is legal. Several times since the 1990s the Puerto Rico Army National Guard was used to assist the Puerto Rico Insular Police and the San Juan Police Dept. to quell the violence in San Juan's housing projects. Puerto Rico is a US territory, much like Bermuda or Gibraltar is to the UK.

www.globalsecurity.org...

During Operation Centurion in 1996, PRNG units and the police moved into 76 housing projects to arrest dealers and criminals and restore community order. Puerto Rico Governor Pedro Rossello created the program to reinforce limited Puerto Rico LEA assets and drive out drug traffickers from housing areas.

www.prdailysun.com...
2/25/2010

Gov. Fortuño activated the PRNG earlier this month and Figueroa Sancha has deployed them to combat crime in Bayamón, Carolina, Ponce and San Juan.

www.cnn.com...

About 1,000 National Guard soldiers will report for duty Saturday in Puerto Rico, activated by the governor this week to help fight a drug-fueled crime tsunami that has flooded the Caribbean island.

The military personnel will repair police cruisers and join local authorities on patrols in the most crime-ridden areas of Puerto Rico, mainly in poor parts of the commonwealth's largest cities. One soldier will accompany a police officer on each patrol, said the National Guard chief, Maj. Gen. Antonio Vicens.

It's been done before and it's worked.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by ChrisF231]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Fine than.

Let soldiers in fatigues march your streets.

Enjoy that APC crushing your car. And then having them BLAME YOU for your car being "in their way".

Enjoy it. Because once you let it happen, it will never go away.

Why? Because crime rates are not SOLVED by the use of force.

Crime can only be solved by addressing social problems. That is the only way.

So once you let those soldiers march your streets, you will never see them leave. Simply because the crime rates will NEVER go away when we are only being reactionary.

And a high crime rate is not a civil emergency. It's a commonplace occurrence in the USA. I am used to it personally.

You hit the nail on the head with this response. I am in agreement all the way, and I am just mystified that civilians would want US military patrolling their streets as we have seen our televisions in Baghdad or Kabul. Now, I am not saying deployment of military forces should never be used, but only and I mean only during extreme situations of carnage and peril. As in the case of Chicago, it is just a bunch of thugs offing each other. That is the predicament in any major American city, and is Chicago law enforcement issue, not a military one. I think Bruce Willis's character, General William Deveroux, the movie "The Siege," about the use of military forces in American city to conduct law enforcement and policing.

The Army is a broad sword, not a scalpel. Trust me, senator - you do not want the Army in an American city.

www.imdb.com...

That quote alone says it all when you have battle hardened troops on the streets of America. One could expect damage to property, accidents, and significant collateral damage. As I have said earlier, if the corruption and waste was taken seriously, maybe the police would have the manpower and resources needed to tackle crime in the city with the tax dollars duly allocated for such a purpose? The crime is not the problem, but the paralysis caused by corruption among both local and state politicians. That is why crime is out of control in Chicago, and other American cities as well. By no means should military forces be deployed in an American city, unless under dire circumstances! Star for you my friend, and great response!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Again let me add & update they are still discussing it bit is no longer on the local MSM and again it's not what they are making it out to be it is a few low income areas where street gangs do most of the threatening I drive all over Chicago all the time and the biggest problem is traffic. Another thing not being said is that that Chicago police are like 3000-4000 officers short also Illinois state police were pulled from Chicago highways so Chicago patrols it already understaffed I see it ass a cheap way for Chicago to accomplished it with less debt

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join