It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.9 - SOUTHEAST OF TAIWAN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Magnitude 6.9 - SOUTHEAST OF TAIWAN

earthquake.usgs.gov

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.9
Date-Time

* Monday, April 26, 2010 at 02:59:50 UTC
* Monday, April 26, 2010 at 10:59:50 AM at epicenter

Location 22.247°N, 123.733°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTHEAST OF TAIWAN
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm posting this because I believe this may be devastating to those living in the area although I do not know what the population is like in the spot the EQ hit exactly. Hopefully not many people live in the area, but at least it didn't hit Japan that would have been really bad. In fact it was 2145 km (1340 miles) SW of TOKYO, Japan but who knows this may cause some more earthquakes in the area... guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will update when more information is known - if anyone else finds anything before me, let me know.

earthquake.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

my two concerns: Damage due to it being a shallow quake and second concern,
a tsunami. Only time will tell...My prayers go out to them. Hopefully everything is ok.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

So far looks good...

A strong earthquake has occurred, but a tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, or Alaska coast. NO tsunami warning, watch or advisory is in effect for these areas.

Based on the earthquake magnitude and historic tsunami records, a damaging tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coasts. At coastal locations which have experienced strong ground shaking, local tsunamis are possible due to underwater landslides.

At 8:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on April 25, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 6.5 occurred southeast of Taiwan . (Refer to the United States Geological Survey for official earthquake parameters.)

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii will issue messages for Hawaii and other areas of the Pacific outside California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.

This will be the only statement issued for this event by the West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center unless conditions warrant. See the WCATWC web site for basic tsunami information, safety rules, and a tsunami travel time map and table. (NOTE: Travel time maps and tables indicate forecasted times only, not that a wave was generated.)

Source

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

yes, good news for the western states and also hawaii, since they don't have a warning either. However, it does not address the immediate area where the quake hit. I don't know how to access that information....or if/where it is available.

It is a very shallow quake, in the ocean, so most likely there will be something.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I will post this in both threads since they were posted simultaneously.

Ouch. 6.9

Here we go again.

I wonder what is really the scope of all of this.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ok wtf is going on we need to demand answers from our so called leaders every week a new earthquake wtf where are the earthquake scientists why is msm not talking about this ?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

Really you should know better... the MSM is never going to cover this stuff, why it's happening, or anything to do with earthquakes whatsoever unless a huge one hits and many people die which will get them ratings. It's unfortunate

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

There were no tsunami warnings issued but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said local tsunamis on coastlines within 100 km (60 miles) of the quake's centre were possible.

tvnz.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Thanks for adding that
2nd line

top topics

join